Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Education forum

Classroom Management, the unaddressed reality?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-31 of 31 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010, 12:51:04 PM PDT
Hey 'prob! Thanks for asking. We had a great year. You?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010, 4:07:46 PM PDT
I have had good experiences from utilizing ideas from the book myself, and have recommended it to colleagues.

I was really struggling this year, but seemed to find my stride after the New Year. My students really stepped it up and started meeting their potential, finally. They eventually realized that I wasn't ever going to give up on them...perhaps. I did a little personal analysis of our CRCT scores and proudly post them. (I'm just copying and pasting them from another thread where I was refuting some... backward conservative idiot who tried to claim that blacks were less capable, and that I was a "leeching pedophile" for choosing teaching as a profession.) I still hold to the contention that my principal is a vindictive unprofessional who refused to acknowledge my class's success--even though we beat all the other classes average scores by a huge percentage. Sorry for getting negative, but I think I earned some ranting rights after my principal threw me under the bus first semester, and then refused to hire me again next year...

I work at a Title I school...

The scores are designated by the state as:

Level 1: Below 4th grade level
Level 2: At 4th grade level
Level 3: Above 4th grade level

My class:

Science: Level 3: 14 students Level 2: 7 students
Social Studies: Level 3: 12 students Level 2: 9 students
Mathematics: Level 3: 15 students Level 2: 5 students Level 1: 1 student
Reading: Level 3: 8 students Level 2: 13 students
Language Arts: Level 3: 10 students Level 2: 11 students

There was a nearly even ratio of male and female, black and white distribution.

Among my students that scored level 3 on all 5 tests, there were two females, one white and one black. There were two males, one white and one black. My class consisted of more than my share of dramatic and expressive behavior problems, and many kids prone to refusing to do the work assigned. Earlier this year I didn't think myself capable of dealing with this very socially active group, but I believed always, that the kids were capable and insisted.

One strategy that worked for me, especially in math, was to present a new concept or algorithm in less than 10 or 15 minutes and then swiftly assess who was paying attention. I would re-teach the same thing in different ways over the course of the hour, and elicit help from the more successful students in getting the rest of the kids up to speed. If there were kids who didn't get it, they would occasionally have to sit out at recess to practice, and there were always volunteer students available who would spend the recess tutoring them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010, 9:43:52 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Hi, V -

This is awesome news! I think your students were very fortunate to have you as their teacher this year!

All the best,

Prob

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010, 4:03:33 PM PDT
Thanks, P!

I'm looking forward to focusing on my strength areas of science and social studies next year. It's opening as a "title I school" due to income levels of the community.

I won't forget the importance of classroom management. And will make sure I've got the administration on board with my strategies before I experience any lack of support.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010, 1:38:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2010, 1:40:37 PM PST
Tom Burkert says:
This is an excellent discussion and one that is barely dealt with in most education courses because most college professors have little experience in the K-12 classroom and the methods used to manage college students aren't applicable to younger students.

Posted on Dec 11, 2010, 9:32:25 AM PST
Joy Leftow says:
I am so so glad to be out of the system after so many years. What most people don't seem to get is how much the system has deteriorated over the past 50 years. When I was a child - over 40 years ago, there were also 30 children in each classroom but most of us knew how to read and write. Classes were divided by skill as well so children who did well were grouped together and children who did less well were as well. Now I see high school children who can barely write a comprehensive sentence - forget about a paragraph. And a comprehensive sentence grammatically correct without spelling errors, well you can almost forget about it. So basically what we're headed for - is a society not only where rich have special privileges, and attend private schools, but an educationally stratified system where we will return to the middle ages and people will have to pay others to write letters and do paper work or a society where linguistic rules no longer apply like they don't in texting and most people know how to do that.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Education forum (426 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Education forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers