Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Melanie Rawn will not be finishing Captal's Tower or Spellbinder

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 223 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 6:27:30 AM PDT
Inflex says:
Maybe more authors should write the entire series as a single book, split it, then each year bring out the next part; at least that way the publisher is assured that the series can complete which will tend to instill confidence into the buyers that they'll get to the end eventually.

I'm only saying this because that's the way we did it - though I imagine if it's a looooong series it'd be a bit of a stretch to wait for 5+ books to be written, the excitement would be too hard to contain to hold back releasing the first couple.

Tree of Life (Part I)

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 7:11:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010, 7:13:07 AM PDT
Another idea is that any and all series to be published would have to have an outline of the main story and the ending. That way, in case of illness or death, the series could be finished by a ghostwriter.

The issue here is Rawn's attitude. The ultimate insult was her asking her fans to send her ideas for the 3rd book, because she doesn't like to read her own work and just couldn't remember it all. She took that request off her site later because of the reaction in 2004 or so, but part of it is still on her site:

"Hello, all!
I don't do IM. The couple of times I've tried it, there were so many people chiming in that I got too confused to carry on an even halfway intelligent conversation with any of them. Frustrating for me, frustrating for you. Not A Good Thing.
However--
Good Thing: I finished "Spellbinder" just before Christmas (December 21, in fact--the longest night of the year!). No, I don't know when it will be published. When I get word on it, I'll let you know.
Early in the New Year I'll have a little project for all you EXILES folks, as I'll be gearing up to write "Captal's Tower." (Don't get too excited--it takes me anywhere from 18 months to five years (!) to write a book.) I'll post on this page and the EXILES board so everyone can contribute their thoughts and opinions.
Everyone have a safe and happy new year.
Melanie "

Her 'little project' was asking all of us to write what we want answered in the book. I just could not believe it. Then Tor bought Spellbinder and she started the second in that trilogy. The third will not be published because it tanked. It was pretty bad if you read the reviews.

And now, here we are today.

She is writing a new trilogy. Glass Thorns that apparently is about magicians running theaters in a *medieval* setting. Oh well that makes it all better. Hope that makes everyone want that series now. Yeah, right.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 8:23:13 AM PDT
B. Williams says:
There's also Dragons. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

As a formerly rabid fan with plenty of theories on Exiles, I appreciated the fact that she asked us for our two cents. It'd been what? Seven, Eight years since she'd written in the Exiles world? And she had *many passionate* fans with definite ideas and strong opinions. She didn't want anything to slip through the cracks.

I think this is partly because of the way she writes. She has the background laid, she knows where she's going, but she usually has no idea how she's going to get there. Which means as you read the book, the plot can seem to change directions midstream. Makes for an unpredictable ride.

From what I remember of the post in question wasn't that she couldn't remember what happened, but what were your favorite elements. She wanted us to be satisfied with the final product, and hence tried to zero in on the parts we were most interested in. And having been part of that online community? She was right to check with us.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 9:14:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010, 9:15:52 AM PDT
She's lazy and using her past problems as the excuse. Which might be why some have walked away from her. Everyone goes through rough spots; some have rougher spots than others. However, the majority of people put on their big people pants and work their way through it. Seeing someone use a hard time to excuse 14 years of leaving fans hanging has got to rankle.

And not liking your own writing is no excuse. It's lazy. Some of my stuff that I went over from years ago is embarassing to read. I've improved and it's just so embarassing to read some of my old stuff. Guess what? I do it anyway. How else can someone actually get back into the flow of the plot and characters?

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 9:20:08 AM PDT
re L. Hathaway's post

Hear, hear! I am glad you were able to work through what must be a very hard situation. My sympathies are with you, and probably those of everyone else reading this. My mother has a chronic illness with a great deal of pain, so I definitely get what you're saying. The very best to you and God Bless :)

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 9:27:01 AM PDT
As for authors who string us along for years, they should come clean. If they are bored, stuck, hate their creation and want it to die, please come clean! I would have a great deal more respect if she would stop pot-shot responses and lurking on her own website, like this:

http://www.melanierawn.com/bb/showthread.php?t=7144&page=32
"Why do you assume I don't read anything except the General Discussion board?"
response-
"Not quite. You've said you never come in the Exiles Forum... Sooo..."
Her answer-
"If that's what I said, and I probably did, I ought to have stuck to that plan.
The "Announcements" message over on General Discussion has been deleted. I'm not angry. I'm not in a sulk. I just don't see the point--and I'm sorry I brought any of it up to begin with."

Then they shut down the thread, because *sniffle* it bothered Melanie. Everyone there is afraid of her, it's like some weird cult of bowing down to her. Whatever.
2 unfinished trilogies is enough for me. Bye bye Melanie!

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 9:46:22 AM PDT
B. Williams says:
What I don't get is why you feel justified in measuring Rawn by your own measuring stick. Yes, you've had somewhat similar trials, and done a remarkable of pulling yourself out of it, I might add. But everyone walks their own paths, has their own values reasons and motivations.

Writing for free, you can pretty much do what you want when you want. Melanie has contractual obligations to Tor now, who don't give a rat's behind whether Captal's Tower is written or not. I don't doubt they offer bonuses for turning in manuscripts by certain deadlines. She's moving forward as best she can. I expect she'll write Exiles 3 when she is free to do so.

When you've walked a mile a mile in her shoes, then you can judge.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 9:50:46 AM PDT
Here's a complete contrast to Rawn: Patrick Rothfuss. Check out his website. His latest blog is very well done.
Yes, he is late for book 2 of the Name of the Wind series, but he keeps people in the loop. He doesn't act like we readers are the bad side of being published. He is #1 first class, hands down. I don't mind late books from authors with his attitude.

When his book does come out, it will be for the Kvothe series, and it will be good too!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 9:57:24 AM PDT
14 years for one. She's had 14 years to find her big girl pants and hasn't. Someone should give her some help if it's that bad. People who run away from their problems and yet use them to excuse their behavior will get no respect from me.

So there was no contract for a trilogy? Neither Tor nor Daw had a contract stating there were 3 books? It sounds to me like she owed them 3 books and didn't follow through. Sounds to me like she's doing what she wants.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 10:16:02 AM PDT
B. Williams says:
If you've read this full discussion, then you already know why the Spellbinder trilogy is incomplete, and that was not due to her inability or unwillingness. It sounds to me like you are determined to be pissed off about it and don't really care about the rationale or reason. Enjoy your pissy mood, Hathaway.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 10:23:48 AM PDT
Oh yes, ignore that people stopped reading her books because they got tired of her not finishing things. So when she finally finishes something, there are so few reading her stuff that the Publisher doesn't want to take a chance. Entirely not her fault of course.

B. Williams, enjoy your enabling of her pity party and I look forward to your energetic defense of her when she fails to complete the new series she is working on. BTW, if you really cared for her, you'd push her to find her big girl pants. The path you and other apologists are helping her walk only leads to failure.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 10:27:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010, 10:30:00 AM PDT
It is amazing too, that Spellbinder was put out as cash flow generator and tanked. She is trying to sell her house . . . wonder if her performance has hit her pocket book yet?

The 'we love you oh mistress of the written word' crap has gotten old. My hanky dried out a while ago. The 2nd unfinished trilogy still is her fault for writing bad books. The publisher doesn't want to waste any more money on it. What I find hard to understand is why they are risking more money on yet another trilogy, and whoo boy with a concept like that outlined by Rawn herself. Well, yikes!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 10:33:34 AM PDT
She was, at one time, a dependable writer who brought in money. More than likely, this is a last chance sort of thing. They know she can write well and complete books because long ago, she did. My guess is that if the first in the new series doesn't sell well, she will find herself "let go."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 10:52:16 AM PDT
"Everyone there is afraid of her, it's like some weird cult of bowing down to her. "

Well... It *is* her official website and message board. LOL

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 10:59:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010, 11:17:43 AM PDT
Er, actually the teeny print at the bottom of the site says they are looking for donations because:

"This site is run and managed by fans for fans of Melanie Rawn, and out of our own pockets. Please support this site by making your purchases at Amazon through the box to the right. "

They are paying and bowing, too. There is some pretty sad brown nosing that goes on there. To the point that almost all threads related to Captal's are now closed (read the CT delayed Vent here http://www.melanierawn.com/bb/showthread.php?t=7144).
When things get a little heated, the mods jump in and shut it down. So there is literally nothing to talk about there except Spellbinder 1 and 2 and Collan's bathrobe (not kidding).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 11:40:50 AM PDT
Seriously? A bathrobe?

And I think it is natural for fans to want to support those they are fans of. That being said, there comes a time when you have to open your eyes and see that the person you worship so much is doing something very self-destructive. Mindless, continued worship won't solve the problem.

Also, Parkermann, people don't like to challenge anyone who is "having a hard time" as they worry it will make them look like a bad person. But after 14 years, you'd think someone would stand up and tell her time to end the pity party. It's not healthy to have one that long. Unfortunately, the mindless fans would take that as an attack and shred the offender. Who cares if she's ruining her own career? Who cares that this new series might be her last chance? None of that matters. What matters is supporting her no matter how destructive her behavior becomes.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 11:51:50 AM PDT
Yes, the bathrobe . . .:)

Here ya go.
http://www.melanierawn.com/bb/showthread.php?t=372

They are so desperate for answers after the wtf?! ending, that they have gone over and over that item, looking for clues. Also, an enterprising fan compiled a 40 page treatise on the mystery: Who is Collan? This was a main character Rawn killed off, just before revealing just who he was. A central point of the story and still debated 14 years later.

The 40 page dissertation, interesting is here:
http://www.melanierawn.com/collan/

All fan written and researched. They want so badly to try and grab Melanie's interest. Or get a few answers. What a frustrating thing. And the 'what line is this' . . . thread. Wowee. That's devotion!

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 12:06:51 PM PDT
In terms of self destruction, that started with Spellbinder. I bought, read 1/4 or so, scanned the rest and got rid of it. After 10 years and that is what came out. The reviews here say it all. Then, the sequel. I didn't read it, but the reviews again say it all. My personal favorite is the quotes I found from other fans who were mad, because she basically uses the 2nd Spellbinder book to tell her fans to f off. That is self destructive, big time.

You know, some people would love to be a published author. She is. She used to be good and is squandering that opportunity. That part makes me sick. She got to do her dream job for a living and goes with this sort of thing. ??!! In this economy, any economy - to be able to tell people stories for a living is a wonderful gift. She is destroying it right now.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 12:40:18 PM PDT
C. Sachs says:
I don't know that writing and interacting well with fans are two personal qualities that always go together. In fact, they could be quite opposite. One is a heavily introverted function and one is an extroverted one. Rawn might have done herself some good by hiring a good public relations firm, and run absolutely everything she said at conventions and posted on websites by them before opening her mouth. It doesn't seem like she's the sort of person who does that well either; she sounds much more comfortable acting out of the immediate impulse and depending on the flow of conversation and mood.
She also could have gone through hell with very "fanny" fans who give her a lot of respect and adoration while she's going through the horrors of depression and the total basement self-esteem that that entails. It might make her afraid to put a word to paper. And getting up in front of people who give you so much and saying "I failed" may be too much for her.
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (Thrift Edition)
Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 8 "Unfinished" & 9 "The Great"
Dead Souls

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 12:53:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010, 12:54:21 PM PDT
But isn't that was all writers do? Put themselves out there for all to see and judge? Most writers that I know are deeply devoted to what they are writing. Wanting to be the best they can. Wanting to share a great story. When people don't appreciate the story, or just have a personal issue, or even just have a bad day and slam the author, don't all authors feel a bit hurt? But you can't let that stop you. If you love writing, write. You can't make everyone love you and trying to is a waste of effort.

When I returned to writing, I was shredded by some former fans and rightly so. I let them down. Since then, I've thrown myself back into writing, re-reading all my old works, and appologizing my asterick off. Guess what? Though I'm writing slower than before, people are happy to wait because I am trying. I'm putting forth the effort to finish what I started.

Rawn simply shrugged her shoulders and gave up. Sorry fans but it's just too much work to finish stuff. Maybe she does need someone to manage her when she speaks to fans. Or at least someone to give her advice on how to win back fans she's insulted and alienated through her actions.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 1:07:18 PM PDT
I get the feeling some of you haven't even read Exiles. If so, then why do you care whether she finishes her series or not?

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 1:30:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010, 1:33:58 PM PDT
I read it in 1994, 1997, 2000 and again 2007. Each time, I go and check the website for news. Even her fans at the website say the new registered members are mostly fans looking for information on the 3rd Exiles book. The most hits are for the Exiles portion by a huge margin. Sure, years go by, I don't think much about it, but recently I was getting some stuff together to give away and saw those 2 books. I thought I would check and found out the announcement I posted at the beginning of this thread. The Exiles books are still for sale here and that won't stop newer readers from wondering what the hell's going on.

Her public relations are just terrible. She does herself no favors, even in a teasing way like this:
http://www.melanierawn.com/bb/showthread.php?p=207136#post207136

She's just so cute. Except the fans there are all pretty proud of how many irate readers they've run off the site for daring to ask what happened. And later, they post here
http://www.melanierawn.com/bb/showthread.php?t=7144&page=33 post #484
talking about how things are dying off there. Yeah, duh!

DVD was a new format when Exiles 2 was released. The 2nd series, Spellbinder was started by Rawn in 1999 and took her until 2004 to get it sold to TOR and published in 2006. What was going on for those 7 years? Now it's canceled by the publisher for bad sales. Unlike George RR Martin, she isn't a big enough name to take that kind of PR damage. He literally could never write again, and is a multi-millionaire from the 4 existing books. She doesn't have that luxury.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010, 1:43:29 PM PDT
B. Williams says:
"Except the fans there are all pretty proud of how many irate readers they've run off the site for daring to ask what happened."

Not quite. We only run off the ones who are unpleasant. Venting is allowed, personal attacks and snide remarks are not tolerated.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 2:17:46 PM PDT
Seems to be a rather fawning Forum. Not what she needs. They are constantly excusing her mistakes and actions. None of them seem to realize Publishers will not tolerate authors who do not sell and right now, she's losing fans. Based on her last sales, losing a great many.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010, 3:35:50 PM PDT
I'm interested purely out of curiosity, and because I have strong feelings about trilogies/series/whatever. (I won't even read the first book of a Nora Roberts trilogy until it's finished, and the only thing that would stop Nora from completing a book would be a quick and unexpected death.)

I do read a couple of ongoing series (serieses? what's the plural of series???), because they have no end in sight and what are ya gonna do? But if there's a finite number of books projected, I wait for them to be done. It's not worrying about whether the author will finish (although after reading about this, I might start worrying!), but that I have no patience and hate the wait between books. (YOU HEAR THAT DENNIS LEHANE?)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  223
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers