Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

FINISHED fantasy series, recommendations and reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012, 7:16:56 AM PDT
Yes, I know there are LOTS of posts about a recommended series, and probably many of them suggest series that are finished and I WILL try to dig through some of them. But I thought it would be really helpful for myself and others to have reviews and recommendations of FINISHED series all in one place. :)
Basically I am a fool who after waiting years and years for Jordan to finish got wrapped up in Martin. . .sigh. So third time's the charm! And THIS time I will.not.read. unfinished. series. . . but I really need recommendations.
I have my preferences of course, but in order for this to be helpful for a variety of people all I am asking is that you give a brief overview of the series you recommend and why you liked it. Whether it's gritty, gorey, whether or not the characters were believable or interesting. . .stuff like that.
I apologize for the redundancy. It's just I am a busy mom who lives overseas and don't always have the time to read through all the other threads. When I get the rare chance to read leisurely. . .well. . .I want to be a good series! :)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 12:22:23 PM PDT
Raindog says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 4:26:43 AM PDT
The above recommendation looks like it's o just one book and I was hopping for a series recommendation. Also "Raindog" you did not say why you liked it, or anything about the book. I don't expect too many details, but in order for this thread to be useful to a large audience it would be nice for more that just, "wow."
thank you for your suggestion though. At least you posted something. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 5:42:40 AM PDT
I wouldn't expect much more than this, to be honest. It's either shill or spam and it's been plastered all over the forum.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:06:49 AM PDT
Oh. That's disheartening. :/
Thanks for telling me, M. Pailing.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:20:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012, 6:21:42 AM PDT
I just found out a series by Michael J. Sullivan called the Riyrea Revelations. I know NOTHING about this series. At all. BUT, Wikepedia says that "The Riyria Revelations is a six-book epic fantasy series. All the books were written before the first one was released."
Isn't that just awesome! Why oh why don't more writer's do this now?
Trying to find out more about this series. I almost want to just buy them JUST to support the author for doing that but funds are low so I'd rather find out a bit more first before I buy.
For now I will just post any fantasy series that I find out about that is finished. It would be nice to have a brief review too but even without a review I think this thread/ discussion might be helpful for some people, because surely I am not the only person in search of a good yet FINISHED series.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:30:17 AM PDT
OK, now I'm seeing that Michael Sullivan originally wrote 6 books but that his publishing company combined them into 3 books. So. . .I think there are just 3 in the series now. Still, the point is he took finishing the series seriously and I reallllllly wish other writers in the genre would do the same.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 7:30:07 PM PDT
Captain says:
The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson. Ten books, considered by many to be the greatest epic fantasy ever written. Last book came out last year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012, 9:55:30 AM PDT
Heather Myst says:
WWM,

Here are my suggestions for completed series:

Since Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria series has been mentioned here I'll start with it. I loved the series. Fans of Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora will enjoy this series. It is a tale of buddy thieves that starts fast and stays with you long after you have finished the books.

If you like dark fantasy I would suggest Joe Abercrombie's First Law series and the stand alone Best Served Cold. Joe is not scared to spill a little blood so be warned.

John Marco's Tyrants and Kings series might interest you if you like military fantasy.

David Coe has the Winds of the Forelands series which is filled with plot twists and turns.

Fiona McIntosh has three series that I enjoyed. The Quickening, Valisar, and Percheron. They are fast reading and I love her writing style.

Another one of my favorites is Jennifer Fallon's Second Sons trilogy. It revolves around a hero who uses his brains instead of magic to solve his problems.

If you enjoy assassin tales you should check out Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy. It also is on the darker side.

David Durham has tha Acacia series that you might want to look into.

Good luck and make sure you take advantage of Amazon's look inside feature that allows you to read a sample the book you are interested in. I find that by reading the sample I can usually tell if I am going to enjoy the book.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012, 8:59:45 AM PDT
Cazpiper says:
The Lancelot Series by Sarah Luddington. First one is still free on kindle I think.Really good but beware it has some gay/bi scenes

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 6:03:31 AM PDT
Yes, Heather, the "look inside" feature is great! I am interested in both reading and writing fantasies, and to look inside is often better than the book's description.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012, 7:45:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012, 7:45:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 24, 2012, 6:35:57 AM PDT
Firebird says:
The Abyss Walker series by Shane Moore
The Iron Dragon series by Paul Genesse

Those are the most recent ones I have finished and I didn't want to put the books down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012, 7:13:00 AM PDT
Zhiva says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012, 8:08:40 AM PDT
Self-promotion is not allowed outside the MOA forum. Please read the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/fiction/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx35L6AIBJFGDP0&cdThread=Tx17KH4XPGMM82L

Posted on Jun 24, 2012, 10:05:50 PM PDT
Mary Fisher says:
The Sharing Knife series, 4 books, by Bujold Cordelia's Honor and the Miles Vorkosigan series, also by Bujold (Though she may write more, each book feels complete). I liked The Aurora Teagarden stories by Charlaine Harris, even though I hate her Sookie Stackhouse series, and I don't normally like murder mysteries. But I liked the way she put in normal life and progression of life into the series of sometimes unbelievable happenings, and I liked where she ended it. I liked Aurora and kept reading to find out what happened to her, and was pleased where her life went. Sometimes a series can go on too long, this one didn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012, 1:08:05 AM PDT
4Nbahu says:
the Night Angel Trilogy was very good. , am planning to look at others you have mentioned.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012, 11:23:55 PM PDT
M. Holder says:
I really enjoyed The Banned and the Banished, by James Clemens. It has a classic fantasy feel, while still (mostly) avoiding a lot of cliches.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams is also excellent, with great characters and a story that really does fill four books.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012, 5:20:27 PM PDT
Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
IMHO the best completed series I've read.

Chronicles of the Black Company
No wait this one is the best, but it may be an acquired taste as it is pretty dark.

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1)
If you're after a more traditional sword and sorcery series that is well written.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012, 11:06:42 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 8, 2012, 11:49:13 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 8, 2012, 11:32:31 AM PDT
L. S. Jansen says:
If you are open to reading a series which features younger folks and like Arthurian themes, I highly recommend Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising: The Complete Sequence (Dark Is Rising Sequence).

The first book, "Under Sea, Under Stone" is written for the younger bunch being mainly a quest in theme and the kids are pretty young. It's better to start with the second book "The Dark is Rising" first and then go back and read the first book. The main character of the series is Will Stanton and though he's eleven at the start of the second book, he's by no means a little kid. I'm not that big a fan of epic fantasy, but this is one series I've read several times over the years and the last book always leaves tears in my eyes.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012, 4:38:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012, 4:39:49 PM PDT
Chris says:
Hi wiggle worm mama!
I can relate to your problem with finding completed fantasy series, or let's say completed fantasy series worth reading.
Now i can give you lots of recommendation but before that, it would be timely to ask: "why do you like the books you read and what function does reading books fullfill in your life?"
For example for me reading is taking a "pause" from the real world - and diving into a enjoyable fantasy tale. I respect authors like Martin, abercrombie, cook etc, but since I face alot of "gray" and mental problems as a psychologist - I rather skip the previously named authors and choose books books that are abit less "grey". :)

So here are some recommenations clusterwise (if u liked one of the book in the cluster you probably enjoy the others):

Cluster A: (If u like jordan you will like this) (first person narratives with emotional depth) (clear distinction between "the good guys" and "the bad guys")
Brandon Sanderson - The mistborn Trilogy (3 books)Excellent story telling, experienced and viewed from character perspective
Robin Hobb - The farseer trilogy (6 books) Emotionally captivating and very well written series, you will get addicted to it after 40 pages. Perhaps the best female fantasy author out there
Brent Weeks - The Night Angel trilogy (3 books) Action paced and very story driven books, a really great page turner that will glue you to the pages.
Jim Butcher - Codex Alera (6 books) Overall a very good series with a facinating story. Not as good as the series mentioned above but still worth all the time
Patric Rothfuss - (2 books, 1 unpublished yet) If you want to gamble on a unfinnished series. I really recommend you to read this even tho it's not finnished yet. In my subjective opinion theese books are the best out there in the whole fantasy genre. A totally mind blowing series that will forever change your standars about "good" books.

Cluster B: (If you prefer George R.R. Martin) (More realistic fantasy books) ("gray fantasy" without distinctions of good and evil protagonists) (not first person) (Usually unclear main character)
Steven Erikson - Malazan book of the fallen (10 books) A classic huge series - some like it very much, and even if I respect his work, I didn't find it that enjoyable. Very rich in detail and countless characters. Brings the term epic a whole new dimension.
Joe Abercrombie - The first law trilogy (3 books) Very gritty, dark and funny. Many finds this series mindblowing.
Glen Cook - The black company (5 books) This stuff is dark and is rather evil vs. evil than good vs. evil. Big battles.

Hope you find some help in this recommendation. I'm sorry of being abit more biased towards cluster A.
I warmly recommend to visit the site: www.bestfantasybooks.com for more comprehensive listing over best fantasy series/books over different theemes and categories. Or visit my personal top-10 series on: http://lists.bestfantasybooks.com/list/kaladin/Kaladins-Top-10-series
Good luck!

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 11:49:46 AM PDT
I realize this is an older thread but if you are still searching I HIGHLY recommend 'The Dark Jewels' series by Anne Bishop (yes it is a finished series, however there may be more spin-offs in the future). Be warned that this is VERY dark fantasy (lots of violence and sexual references - but if you didn't have issues with 'Game of Thrones' then this should be fine with you) and is not for children so if that's not your thing you may want to skip out on it. This is an amazing series with such strong characters and plots! It's certainly one of my favorites!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012, 7:04:50 PM PST
sam says:
Dragonlance is the only series I need. It's technically not finished, but there are over 200 books, plus several authors. The best, and founding, authors are Weis and Hickman. It's based on an entire world, so you can read one trilogy without worrying about missing something from another trilogy. It's high fantasy, with dragons, magic, deep characters and original plots (at least from the better authors, there are a few authors I don't care for). You can find the whole list and recommended reading order here www.dragonlancenovelguide.com

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 2:18:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012, 2:44:14 AM PST
I loved the Study Series of Maria V Snyder! The Study Series Bundle The heroine is a young women with a troubled background who starts on death row and end up as a selfassured key person in their known world. She makes her way through good times and bad with wit, friends, magic and of course a bit of love. I loved it because Yelena is a real person who makes mistakes, have doubts and above all have to work hard to get what she wants.
Another one from Maria V Snyder is the Glass Series Storm Glass (The Glass Series) It is set in the same world as the Study series, but is not part of it. It explores a bit of the magic you encountered in the study series.

My all time favourite is the Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy) Since the books take you out of this world into the Inkworld of books, where absolutely anything is possible - it is a wonderful way to relax and escape the reality of our time. It really made me look differently at the world around me!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers