Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

A more unique fantasy book or series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 162 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:25:19 PM PDT
Specklebang says:
Definitely for ADULTS ONLY but just astonishing. I'm planning to read everything this guy ever wrote.

From Hell

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:01:07 PM PDT
Marg says:
Have you tried "Whatever Became of the Squishies'" by Claire Chilton? It's a great urban-fantasy type of book. Here is a description.

SHE'S JUST INHERITED SUPERPOWERS, OF...ER, SARCASM?

She's wild, outspoken, trouble follows Carla Mainston wherever she goes. But what do you expect from a purple outcast living in a green colony? She's the last girl on the planet who should be inheriting special powers.

As if that wasn't bad enough, there's a deadly disease spreading faster than a dirty joke in the playground and when Carla's brother Joe becomes infected, she has to find a cure before it's too late.

With the assistance of a muscle-bound scientist called Parklon and a dealer in illegal books called Bob, Carla discovers that superpowers don't come without a price. With a murderer on her heels, Carla has to use every trick in the book. That's if she doesn't get arrested, or end up having the life sucked out of her by her new boyfriend.

More information can be found about this book and the book series at www.wbots.co.uk.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 7:49:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 1, 2012 7:54:16 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 6:14:09 PM PDT
greymouse says:
As mentioned elsewhere, Lev Grossman's The Magician and The Magician King stand out from the ordinary. The promotional website is also a bit out of the ordinary. You'll have to hunt through it a bit to find the book promotions:

http://www.brakebills.com/about.html

There's also a related promotional page for the fantasy books of writer Christopher Plover. They're quite hard to find, since they're actually fantasies within a fantasy:

http://www.christopherplover.com/

Grossman's work is for adult readers, btw.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:50:51 PM PDT
kdddavswife says:
If you're looking for unique, well, here's one that should fit the bill. Defenders of Valinthia (Volume 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 1:12:25 PM PDT
I'm afraid that self-promotion is not permitted in the main Amazon forums. You need to move these posts to the MOA forum, where self-promotion is permitted.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 1:10:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 22, 2012 1:14:40 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:55:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2012 9:57:18 AM PDT
Andras Mezo says:
If you want different special world, try this short stories, it's now FREE.

The book shortly description:

An enraged,blood-thirsty beast-like warrior is on his way to the city of Lel Tessin. Five adventurers undertake the challange of stopping him before reaching the city walls.But when they are finally up against the man it turns out that the stranger arrives with a spine-chilling mission and no one is able to stop him not only the five of them.The determined company of fighters realize that the danger is greater than they have ever thought and it is not only threatening their city but their whole world is facing ultimate peril.

The book link:

Tracing The Worm

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:47:58 PM PDT
I always thought that Robert Holdstock's 'Mythago Wood' was a single book, but I've recently discovered that there was in fact a sequel.

Well worth a look if you've never seen it.

(Don't like Jasper Fforde - I find it all a bit incestuous and pretentious.)

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:22:40 PM PDT
Marjorie says:
I liked Lois Bujold McMasters "Chalion" trilogy: The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, The Hallowed Hunt.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 7:49:25 PM PDT
Noree Cosper says:
I finished S.M. Boyce's "Lichgates." It was houmourous, but still had a few dark moments. Boyce's world building was amazing. Currently I am reading "The Sin Collector" by Jessica Fortunato. I'm loving the voice and the concept of people who take the sins of others. I'm about halfway through.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 7:48:25 PM PDT
Noree Cosper says:
I loved The White Dragon. The Dragonriders of Pern series is one of the few I reread every few years. Mists of avalon was good but it dragged in a few spots for me. It was a slow read. I do love George R.R. Martin.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 5:53:21 AM PDT
Maxed-out says:
Here is my recommendation: THE SCAR by Sergey Dyachenko, Marina Dyachenko

Below is one of five starred reviews for the novel:

"If you've been bemoaning the wait for the next Patrick Rothfuss book, or wondering why nothing modern ever reads like Tolstoy or Dostoevsky, read this. The Scar is epic in a personal sense, lyrically haunting, and felt on every human level. (New incentive to learn Russian: I don't think I can wait for the sequels to be translated!) Five Star Review on Amazon"

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 10:25:02 PM PST
ScottBooks says:
Bumped to hide "Pluging from view...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 9:40:47 AM PST
M. Ellmauer says:
Go away, Olga, just go away! Your post is spam - and I am so tired of irgnoring one post after the other just to find those few who are really discussing the thread.

Sorry, but I used to love and read all these forums, but not anymore...

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:42:10 AM PST
OLGA says:
"The Scar" SERGEY AND MARINA DYACHENKO

"Rich, vivid, tactile prose, with a solid yet unpredictable plot-and an extraordinary depth and intensity of character reminiscent of the finest Russian literature."
--Kirkus Reviews, starred review

Here is a link to THE BURNED TOWER a free book on Amazon by SERGEY AND MARINA DYACHENKO.

The Burned Tower

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 4:51:55 AM PST
Maxed-out says:
"The Burned Tower" by Sergey and Marina Dyachenko is free on Amazon!

This is a terrific Fantasy novel.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 8:35:29 PM PST
ninjaboy says:
Yeah that one. It was... well out there

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 8:25:33 PM PST
No, this Outlander hasn't been made into a movie YET. I believe it's being processed. You might be thinking of that Viking movie with the alien? I haven't seen that, but it looks intriguing!

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 7:29:22 PM PST
ninjaboy says:
Wait, the same outlander that was made into a movie? That was crazy, yo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:22:05 PM PST
Isn't Patricia Keneally Morrison the late Jim Morrison's wife or ex wife or something like that? I didn't know she wrote anything but new age non fiction stuff. And I simply must try Guy Gavriel Kay: so many people recommend this author. I liked Outlander, but not the following books. I can't remember which one it was: either the second or the third, where they are on a ship most of the time, and spend a lot of time at Prince Charles's court in France. That's the one that made me stop reading the series. Did I make a mistake by quitting?

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 11:54:20 AM PST
JD Goff says:
Gah! I am so tired of this. People, please stop spamming the threads! You aren't helping sell your book, you're alienating readers. How smart do you think that is, considering it's these very READERS you need to succeed as a writer! Trust me on this.

Sorry for the rant, folks, but these idiots hurt legitimate writers. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Gormenghast series, The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy but it certainly fits in the realm of unique. The entire trilogy takes place in the vast castle city of Gormenghast. It doesn't have any magic in it, and as such isn't fantasy like Lord of the Rings, but it's quite good and worth the read.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 2:50:19 PM PST
Spam. You spammed every thread with this overpriced vanity pubbed book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 11:09:17 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 13, 2011 12:59:38 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 9:49:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 4, 2011 12:19:35 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  162
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions