Your Garage Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Starting at $39.99 New Salon & Spa Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Dressmaker Dressmaker Dressmaker  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition BonIver Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Fantasy forum

Looking for a recommendation, would prefer a series.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 83 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:46:07 PM PDT
Well, I ended up reading L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s 2 new books in the Imager series, Princeps and the one before it. Then I reread the first 3 books that came before that. Now, I think I'm going to pick up Raven's Shadow Book One. A ton of people have recommended it, and if Michael Sullivan recommended it, then it must be good.

To those who haven't read Sullivan's Riyria Revelations books, I can't recommend them enough. Unfortunately, I've already read them twice so I have to wait a year or so before rereading them. I've also read all of C.S. Friedman's works, though it's been a few years since I've read the Coldfire Trilogy. I'm trying to think of what else people have recommended that I've already read:
Rothfuss - Great series, can't wait for book 3 though it will be a while.
Brent Weeks - Already waiting on the Blinding Knife.
GRRM - Course I've read this, but won't bother with six if it is ever published.

But yah, think I'm gonna go get that book and see how it is. I'm also kind of waiting on news about Kelly McCullough's Bared Blade book (think that's the right spelling). Raven's Shadow is only 585 pages though, so I'll probably be done with it in a day or two and then back to picking another one out.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 11:56:00 PM PDT
Kelly says:
I'll second Kat's mention of Hounded (Iron Druid #1) by Hearne. Just finished it, plotting not as intricate as the Butcher series that referred it, but enjoyable. Modern setting, not romancey. There is apparently sex, but it happens off-page, nothing really shown.

A Scifi series I like so far is Old Man's War by Scalzi. Think a Forever War type. Two books in. Mostly different characters in the two, so not exactly sequels.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:03:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 12, 2012 5:07:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:07:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 12, 2014 7:32:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:27:44 PM PDT
M. Brown says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:12:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 6:13:01 PM PDT
Gen X says:
In case no one's mentioned it already: P.N. Elrod's The Vampire Files.

Set in the 30's, very film noir, great if you like classic black and white movies. There's detective work. Some mysteries. A little grit, a lot of glam. Characters are very well-fleshed and the world is built solidly so there's no problem becoming immersed. Oh, and there's a vampire or two, as well...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:08:09 PM PDT
i'm reading a book call BLOOD SONG,and so far it is the best book i have read since PATRICK ROTHFUSS, i cant believe how great this book is,its new,it will start to catch and take over by storm

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 11:32:52 PM PDT
I would suggest checking out the book of amber, been my favorite for a long long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 3:20:34 AM PDT
Elle Casey says:
Actually it's a separate forum for self-promotion, not self-published authors. Small but distinct difference :)

I recommend anything by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman writing together. Their Dragonlance series is old (1980s I believe), but fabulous! These were my jumping off point to everything else Fantasy.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 4:03:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 4:06:18 AM PDT
Have you tried:
The Laws of Magic series by Michael Pryor - Laws of Magic Sampler 1 - 6
The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series by Heather Brewer - The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Boxed Set (4 Books)
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson pbk 5-book boxed set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan (set in the Percy Jackson universe) - The Heroes of Olympus, The, Book One: Lost Hero
The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan - The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1)
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl (new cover)
The Nowhere Chronicles by Sarah Silverwood - Double-Edged Sword (Nowhere Chronicles 1)
Lorien Legacies (I Am Number Four, The Power of Six, The Rise of Nine) by Pittacus Lore - I Am Number Four Movie Tie-in Edition (Lorien Legacies)
All the above are great reading, if you have not read them as yet I highly recommend all the above... :o)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 9:09:40 AM PDT
One I read not to long ago is named the Written the second in the series just came out it's named the Pale Kings there by Ben Galley

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:42:52 AM PDT
Sorry, you're right. Either way, it doesn't belong here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:46:34 AM PDT
Elle Casey says:
Agreed. :)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:21:06 PM PDT
Blync says:
Probably late to this party but if you think you may try sci-fi I recommend Alistair Reynolds series beginning with Revelation Space. Amazing astronomy rolled into a fresh future world.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:03:15 PM PDT
Hawkwind says:
you ought to look at the book called Shurod and the angelic bloodline by D.C. Mac it is and action packed book for sure.If you like books that deal with supernatural battles this is a cool read for sure

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:02:23 PM PDT
How about Carol Berg's books? She writes epic fantasy, usually in a 2 and 3-book series. The one that starts with Transformation (Rai Kirah) is excellent, and I also liked her latest series, that starts with The Spirit Lens: A Novel of the Collegia Magica.

Another excellent fantasy series are the James Enge Morlock books, but I can't remember which one comes first! I think it's This Crooked Way. He also has a fantasy novella his publisher has made free on Kindle, Travellers' Rest

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:21:28 PM PDT
Finished Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) and I can't recommend it enough. It was an absolutely fantastic read and I'm looking forward to the next novel. I can't believe this is self-published (then again, I felt the same way about Michael Sullivan's books when I first encountered them). It is really nice to see that some self-published authors really take the time to create believable characters with intricate plots and some actual editing.

Now I have to pick my next book, but seeing as it is rather late already I believe that decision will have to wait till tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:49:59 PM PDT
I agree Anthony creates very captivating and memorable characters you end up with a vested interest in their escapades.Anthony creates a different type of fantasy an every day world that could be out there on some planet unknown Landover sounds like a very interesting place.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:17:48 PM PDT
For an established author, I'd suggest Lois McMaster Bujold -- in particular, Curse of Chalion for the fantasy side, and The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga) (or Young Miles if you get a physbook) for the SF side.

For an indie author, "Pay Me, Bug!" is entertaining (though a single book, I believe), and I've heard good things about Quarter Share (Solar Clipper Trader Tales) -- the latter is definitely a series.

You *might* want to look at Spots the Space Marine: Defense of the Fiddler, but definitely sample before purchase, as it's told in a very script-like fashion, has a female lead, and is SF. If it's your cup of tea, you'll probably love it. If it doesn't click, you'll probably hate it. I'm not sure I've seen anyone who was only "meh" about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 4:39:57 PM PDT
Joanne Mayo says:
There is a new series first book out on amazon kindle called The becoming (The sun slayer series)
I thought first book was pretty good.Check it out.Author is new Christine Clayton.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:02:07 PM PDT
S.J.C. says:
Jason Jakson and the Paper Moon
Here is a new read, its the first in a series to come, but I would definitely recomend it. The action and excitement kept me on the edge of my seat chapter after chapter. Plus, its on free promotion right now, so you just can't go wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:53:05 AM PDT
C. Graber says:
Given your tastes, Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga will be right up your ally. By far my favorite Fantasty series ever penned. Elric, the doomed emperor, is by far the best Anti-hero I've ever read.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 2:54:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 21, 2012 3:58:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 5:33:40 AM PDT
LJA says:
Piers Anthony is my all time fav author. His career is just so expansive. One of my fav PA book is If I Pay Thee Not With Gold that he wrote with another great fantasy author Mercedes Lackey. Check out her books also.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 6:29:12 AM PDT
Give the The Sword of Truth a try (Terry Goodkind).

Another would be Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Have fun.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fantasy forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fantasy forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  May 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers