Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Fiction forum

Help! Need a deep read!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 119 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008, 2:30:06 PM PST
Essa Adams says:
'A Breath Floats By' is recommended. It's about miracles and hope. The message is for our time, the timeline is based on reincarnation theory vs dimension theory with one lifetime revealed for the story. So while it is a visionary, this is really a down-to-earth believable eternal romance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008, 9:18:41 PM PST
Glittergal says:
No please don.t read Edgar Sawtelle. Try The Pilots Wife by Anita Shreve...its awesome, or these two books by Harry Bernstein, The Invisible Wall and its sequel The Dream. Wonderful!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2008, 12:48:34 AM PST
JAT says:
Hi Katherine,
I don't do a whole lot of reading, but had some surgery and my daughter lent me her book called, "Fill My Eyes" by Terry Robertson. I found it very interesting and since I'm a little older and it was a book written in the 30's and in the south, I thought it was extremely good. It's about 2 boys, an older brother and a little 4 year old brother, who is very mixed up and scared due to some bad things that affected his life. It has a very unusual ending also. He's a new author, but I like his sense of humor and use of southern words. Give it a try, it's on a lot of sites. Hope you like it as it has a little bit of everything in it.
John
John

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008, 11:24:57 AM PST
Hi Love Joy, I checked out "This Can't Be Love." Based on your review, I'll have to check it out, since that is the subject matter I devote my time to (http://www.beyondthetears.com) If you liked her book, you might like mine, and Katherine might like it too as it is a "deep read." TEARS is a memoir, but reads like a novel. Goins uses Authorhouse, like I did for "Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story." Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story
A true story, Beyond the Tears begins with the suicide attempt of an abused and addicted twenty-five-year-old woman. In the aftermath, she commits to counseling to recover from anxiety and depression associated with post-traumatic stress disorder. The author engages the reader in therapy sessions where the young woman reveals dysfunctional family relationships, including domestic violence, sexual abuse, and mental illness. Due to the therapeutic process, the woman discovers a path to love and the value of life, and she ultimately achieves a life that reflects health and happiness. In sharing this inspirational journey, the author provides a message of hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008, 5:18:30 PM PST
M.S. Berry says:
Not usre if by Dark you meant Mystical. These are more realist, but have great characters and are thought provoking
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
The True History of Paradise by Margaret Cezair-Thompson
The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson (it's not about pirates)
The Drowning Room by Michael Pye
A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008, 8:02:44 PM PST
elyn says:
About half of the books/authors you've listed are ones I absolutely love.

Since you like Jennifer Crusie books, I suggest Susan Elizabeth Phillips, particularly Dream a Little Dream. Honestly all of SEP's books are great and I think you'd enjoy them. I'm not sure how you feel about historical romances but Lisa Kleypas is also a great author.

Also for the YA aspect, I think The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a fantastic read. You definitely should check that one out. Wake by Lisa McMann is another good YA book. It has a sort of supernatural-ish feel which seems like up your alley.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008, 10:52:00 PM PST
Kimmykim says:
city of bones and city of ashes they are classified a young adult but I am 49 yrs old and loved them . my daughter in law took my twilight series hostage !!(she finished her third reading ) and is now reading the city of bones for the second time . think I will get my books back ever?? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008, 3:44:47 PM PST
Libby Cone says:
France rolled over and played dead for the Nazis, and Britain was heroic - right? Maybe not. The Channel Islands of the UK - Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, and Sark, were too close to the coast of occupied France for Churchill to defend, so they were demilitarized, and after a haphazard evacuation of some of the population, the Germans were allowed to occupy the Islands for the duration of WWII. When the Germans demanded that all remaining Jews register, the local government was only too happy to comply. Several Jewish people decided not to register, including Marlene, a (fictional) clerk at the Aliens Office, and the (real-life) Surrealist artists and lovers Claude Cahun and Marcel Moore, who were active as Resistance propagandists until their arrest after D-Day. Watch as the local officials do their best to placate the Germans, even at the cost of citizens' lives. Watch as ordinary citizens show extraordinary bravery, risking their lives to aid Jews and escaped slave laborers. I have included Cahun's poetry, prison notes and memoirs translated from the French. Read the Amazon reviews:http://www.amazon.com/review/product/1419689959/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Libby Cone
Author, War on the Margins: A Novel
paperback - War on the Margins: A Novel
Kindle - War on the Margins: A Novel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008, 8:45:02 AM PST
Oddsfish says:
I think you might really like some of Neil Gaimen's novels: Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Sandman, etc.

In the classics, don't miss Jane Eyre. It fits pretty well with some of the novels you've chosen. You might sometime look at Rebecca by Du Maurier, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, and Possession by A.S. Byatt. Those are more difficult reads, perhaps, but they're tremendous.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008, 11:30:06 AM PST
Libby Cone says:
I think Atwood's "Cat's Eye" and "Oryx and Crake" are even better than "The Blind Assassin."
Libby

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008, 3:23:21 PM PST
gilly8 says:
Seems like a lot of your favorites are fantasy epic type? Have you ever read the first, and best, the grand-daddy of them all: Lord of the Rings? Just skip any songs/poetry (there is not a lot but every so often...).

Also the Darkover saga or series by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A HUGE series, lots of books. Strong characters, a very believable world that is not our world, but its not techno sci fi, more like fantasy, with people who can feel are real.

Go back to some of the EARLY Stephen King novels: "Salems Lot" (vampires...really scary theme), "The Shining", "The Stand"...so much of his later stuff has been repetitive, and not up to his own early standard.

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro had a good vampire series going beack before even Anne Rice. Its worth a look. And of course, Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire" is just classic. Ignore --pretty much--the movie they made from it. She had a ton of sequels but most weren't up to the same level as the first book.

Completely non-fantasy recommendations: Kathleen Koen's "Through a Glass Darkly" wonderful book, love story and also growth of characters through hard struggle. Sequel to it also.

For another long but worthwhile novel, James Clavell's "Sho-Gun" about 17th century Japan and seeing that still closed-off world through the eyes of a Westerner who was shipwrecked there. The entire world of ancient Japan, good and bad aspects, is shown. Historically accurate and very moving and intense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008, 3:56:44 PM PST
J. Schwarz says:
I'm not sure if you would like his books but definitely a deep read. Try China Meiville. He's won multiple fantasy and fiction awards in England and his books are well written, intellectual and very imaginative. Try Perdido Street Station and The Scar, two excellent books to start with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008, 4:20:19 PM PST
RSKAtlanta says:
The Mercy of Thin Air

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008, 5:53:57 AM PST
Abby Hoper says:
A great read like this, - you asked for deep, - is Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. Talk about really dark, and then light shining through.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008, 11:14:09 AM PST
You will love THE SECRET OF THE SUNDANC CAVES!

It is actually the story of Dream and Darkness. It has a gothic dark aspect hanging over the book but at is the story of how light shines through. At the centre is a romantic secret like no other!

Can't think of a book that better suits your description!!!!

The Secret of the Sundance Caves

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008, 12:12:14 PM PST
Saint Mann says:
I'd recommend VACATION or SHEEP AND WOLVES by Jeremy C. Shipp.

Here are some reviews:

"Shipp's clear, insistent voice pulls you down into the rabbit hole and doesn't let go."
--Jack Ketchum

"Vacation is an intriguing, challenging, literate, provocative novel I'm not sure I understand and suspect I'm not meant to; I recommend it to those who find reality boring; it may make them see it in new ways."
--Piers Anthony, author of the Xanth series

"Jeremy Shipp is a very good drug. I hope this book gets banned in high schools soon!"
--John Skipp

"If you want to know what's happening on the edge of speculative fiction, Sheep and Wolves will serve as an excellent introduction - its stories are challenging, unsettling, and deeply meaningful."
-The Harrow

"Jeremy C. Shipp writes about horrible things in marvelous ways. SHEEP AND WOLVES is a compulsively readable collection (I read the sucker in three sittings) filled with resplendent moments of satire, gruesome contrivances, and some of the sharpest, funniest dialogue around. These stories had me cringing and laughing out loud simultaneously. Of course trying to box SHEEP AND WOLVES in as merely a gore and giggles affair would be doing the collection a serious disservice. Each of the stories contained within offer up odd instances of insight that elevate the work and paint a compelling view of our sometimes beautiful, sometimes insidious humanity. A weird, funny, brutal, transcendent read. Highly recommended."
-Michael Louis Calvillo, Bram Stoker Finalist author of I WILL RISE

"Mixing fun, social issues, and heartache, Shipp's novel is a well-rounded and entertaining read...a diverse, unpredictable, and intelligent read. Two thumbs up!"
-Midwest Book Review

Vacation:
Vacation
Sheep and Wolves:
Sheep and Wolves

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008, 3:18:25 PM PST
Wow, Saint Mann, as a fan of Jeremy C. Shipp you are bordering on the obsessive here. I bet the writer himself hasn't gone through these fan reviews with the dedication you have...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2008, 11:45:31 AM PST
Have you read "Power of One" or Jesusland"? They are both favorites!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2008, 12:01:26 PM PST
Shantaram by Gregory David Taylor... movie due out next year with a probably mis-cast Johhny Depp (dir: Myra Nair). Baed on the Author' own remarkable life experience, it' a book about a fugitive from Australia living in Bombay. READ the Book first (984 pp), will make you think you've never really lived the life you could have, and it will make you fall in love with India. Romance, danger, intrigue...never read a book like this one. I think there's a webite, www.shantaram.com. Guarantee you'll love this one!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2008, 2:09:30 PM PST
Arlen Banter says:
I highly recommend "Boot Tracks" by Matthew F. Jones - Philadelphia Inquirer called it the most sympathetic portrayal of a criminal since 'In Cold Blood.' A very gripping, dark, powerful portrait of the world through a criminal's eyes so artistically written that we come to completely understand the world as he (Charlie Rankin) sees it. Impossible to turn away from - and there's a great love story of sorts weaved through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008, 5:29:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2008, 5:45:28 PM PST
Va Girl says:
I just finished Wally Lamb's new book "The Hour I First Believed." It was a hefty book, over 700 pages, but I couldn't stop reading, and I was so sorry when it ended. I know it will stay with me for a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008, 10:02:14 PM PST
This is the best book I ever read. It has everything--tragedy, romance, war, suspense, and romance. Most compelling are the descriptions of Indian customs of the mid-19th century, resentment of British rule, and the awful tradition of suttee, in which a ruler's wife must die on her husband's funeral pyre.

If you haven't read it, you're in for a treat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008, 10:40:31 PM PST
"The Name of the Wind"

and quite possibly "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel"

The first I cannot say enough about. Potter meet's Tolkien meets La Guin? It is hard to describe. Every troupe about our genre you can think of and he strings it all together in a stunning read.

The second is a Romantic fantasy. As in the Romantic period, including a diversion to the Napoleonic wars... it is quite the read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008, 1:28:13 AM PST
Jacquee T. says:
Hi, you might like my historical/ paranormal book, "A Poet's Moon," about the daughter of a maid in 1870s small town Ohio who desires to travel. Everyone tells her she'll always be a maid and she won't travel far. She refuses to accept that. Eventually this man appears in her room and takes her travling to different parts of the United States and Western Europe. However, he returns her home before her absence is noticed.

She's in love, she's traveling like she said she would, and she can't help but talk about it. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Either way, back at home, she has to abide the realities of being a maid.

The book is available through Amazon.com. It will also be available shortly on my web site, jacquee-t.com./novel.

Anyway, I was on Amazon.com looking for a Chicago network, and I came upon your e-mail. Thought this might interest you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008, 9:59:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 27, 2009, 12:00:13 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fiction forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers