Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > foreign language books forum

Russian-language books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2010, 6:33:04 PM PDT
Lectrice says:
I am hoping that now that the K3 has Cyrillic-alphabet capabilities, Amazon will make available some books in Russian besides the four available on Project Gutenburg.

Surely it would be reasonable for them to sell some 19th-century classics, at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010, 8:11:23 AM PDT
M F says:
Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/books%20in%20russian/products/ref=tag_tdp_bkt_istp

Posted on Sep 4, 2010, 12:48:08 PM PDT
Mark Sillman says:
I've found many old Russian books available for download in Kindle format. I can read them using Kindle-for-Mac on a Macintosh. But the Cyrillic alphabet does NOT come out on a Kindle 2. Does anyone have a solution for this?

There are great resources for Russian language books to read on computers - Kindle format or otherwise.

For Kindle format: Try http://www.archive.org/details/texts and click on 'advanced search'. You can then select for 'custom field': language = Russian (7000 entries) and further restrict by author. Books (100+ years old only) can be downloaded in any format (Kindle, PDF, etc) - these are the ones I can read on Kindle-for-Mac but not on a Kindle.

For reading directly on a computer (or possibly on an Ipad) - look at the following:
http://conradish.net/
It's fantastic - classics from Pushkin to Bulgakov, with pop-up English translations of words if needed.
Another site is
www.klassika.ru

Posted on Sep 7, 2010, 1:34:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2010, 1:36:01 AM PDT
They ate water from the tap (Yeli vodu iz-pod krana)

This book consists of the short stories written by Alexander Fozzey Sydorenko, the founder of Ukrainian hip-hop, about post-Soviet life in 1990`s. It is in Russian and 100% can be read, say, on PC using Kindle-for-PC program.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010, 7:56:55 PM PDT
Brambeus says:
There are so many Russian-language sources for books on line that one cannot list them all. I do not own a Kindle, I-Pad, or any of the electronic reading devices, so I can be of no help there. If someone, however, wants to know where s/he can download hundreds of Russian-language books at no cost, I'll try to be of help.

Since I am a child of the XIX century and still prefer my reading to be printed (and on acid free paper), would someone tell me if it's possible for one to upload to any of these electronic reading devices files of one's own making, or must one buy or rent anything s/he wants to read? I ask because perhaps some of the non-American produced materials may be compatible with the products sold in the US; though given the nature of the US market, I doubt that the manufacturers/distributors have thought much about either alternative other than to make doing so as difficult as possible. Since American printed books and CDs are typically so much less expensive than those produced in the EU, perhaps only those making at least $250K can afford EU-produced materials for their Kindles, I-Pads, etc.

I give it about 18 months before someone in Russia or SE Asia has cracked the Kindles and I-Pads and will be selling pirated editions of whatever one may load into those devices. The market isn't large enough yet to make it worthwhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010, 12:07:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2010, 12:13:34 PM PDT
smartpc says:
Dear Mark! For Russification of Kindle 2, you will need to do jailbreak your device, then install custom-made update with Cyrillic fonts. If you want, I can send to you the complete instruction by email.
But this may lead to loss of warranty for your Kindle 2.
Sorry for my bad English. With best regards, Mikhail.
PS. By the way, the new Kindle 3 can now display Cyrillic characters by default.
PPS. One of the largest Russian electronic library is www.lib.ru

Posted on Oct 20, 2010, 3:37:09 AM PDT
By the way, I compiled the list titled "E-books in Russian and Ukrainian at Amazon Kindle Store" at Listmania! You are welcome to use it and send me your suggestions.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/lm/R36AYWYLMAQYP3/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_full

Posted on Oct 20, 2010, 6:11:35 AM PDT
http://www.bgshop.ru/GoodsType.aspx?pageView=catalog&catalogId=2248&type=Book

Has electronic versions of russian books (modern lit as well). The website claims you can use any device to read them.
NB: the website is in Russian.

Posted on Oct 20, 2010, 1:30:46 PM PDT
OdessaCuervo says:
I am offering part one of War and Peace in Russian. Take a look at

War and Peace in Russian with access to the babelpoint.org dictionaries [Annotated]

Virgilio

Posted on Oct 20, 2010, 6:41:53 PM PDT
Lectrice says:
Thanks, Virgilio! I bought it for my husband, who has the K3 in the family. Will you be offering part two?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010, 1:04:42 AM PDT
Thanks, I am adding it to the list!

Posted on Oct 21, 2010, 4:43:06 AM PDT
OdessaCuervo says:
Hi Lectrice,

yes indeed, I am going to offer the other parts and other books as well, but Amazon has to update their website, because they say Russian is not supported, and this is not true. I hope they do this soon.

Regards
Virgilio

Posted on Oct 28, 2010, 8:35:47 PM PDT
Lectrice says:
Virgilio,

My husband finally finished Dickens' Bleak House (in English) and started on Your War and Peace, Part I. He is thrilled! I downloaded some bezplatnye knigi from the web, but he can hardly wait for Parts 2-3 in your version, and more authors. He can only read Russian on his Kindle because his eyesight is bad and he needs to enlarge the fonts.

Thank you, thank you, bol'shoye spacibo!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010, 12:31:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2010, 3:39:28 AM PDT
smartpc says:
Hello, Lectrice.

You can download "War and Peace" for free at this link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/427763340/war_peace.zip
I made two versions for you: in PDF format and in AZW. Both you can save directly to your Kindle.

With best regards, Mikhail.
PS. Sorry for my English.

Posted on Nov 4, 2010, 3:09:45 PM PDT
Nessy NH says:
IMHO, reading War and Piece from PDF is like listening to Dark Side of the Moon from crappy mp3 files with crappy mp3 player...
You can buy a REAL book, even a new one, for a few bucks!
I'm a computer guy all of my life, so I'm not against high-tech by definition, and I almost stopped buying technical books (why? PDF-versions are widely available!), but reading the the classic books from PDF.... You will miss a lot, IMHO!
Misha, you English is good, ne volnujsja! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010, 3:33:47 PM PDT
Lectrice says:
As I explained earlier, we own War and Peace in paper, but my husband's vision is no longer good enough for him to read normal type sizes. His only chance to read Russian is on a Kindle, in a very large font.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010, 8:03:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2010, 8:07:07 AM PDT
smartpc says:
Maybe to your husband would be preferable to listen "War and Peace" in audio? There is a great audio book by "Ardis-studio" Narrated by Eugene Ternovskiy. http://www.ardisbook.ru/catalog/bookpodr.html?id=231

Posted on Dec 13, 2010, 10:03:01 AM PST
OdessaCuervo says:
Resurrection by Tolstoy in Russian with access to Morphological dictionary. Resurrection (Russian Edition)

Posted on Dec 13, 2010, 7:42:24 PM PST
Lectrice says:
Thank you, Virgilio, I just bought it for Misha. Spoken word doesn't work for him, but the K3 is great. Starost' nye radost'.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010, 2:25:53 AM PST
Wow! I'm adding this to our list.

By the way, we have something to boast of. There're already 13 titles in the list!

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R36AYWYLMAQYP3/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010, 11:43:57 AM PST
Lectrice says:
Thank you! I just ordered two more books.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010, 11:53:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2010, 11:58:40 AM PST
Oh Lectrice really you did? Mahjongg and Global warming, right?
Thank you very much! I would be terrifically grateful to hear if you husband likes them.
Usually people do not bother themselves to come back and grade the book. It's quite poignant not to know if they like these texts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010, 9:51:34 AM PST
Laraixa says:
Hi,Vazir.
List those sources you mentioned, please. I prefer paper myself, but it is what it is. Even Ruskniga is too expensive.
Also I wander if anyone out there knows where and how get Russian movies, serials, and tv for free, or at a reasonable price. I found one from Canada that works like netflix, but they want $50 a month. And speaking of Netflix, the russian selection sucks! Not to mention hardly any movie there is streaming. I mean, where are "Slepoi", "Zastava", "spetsgruppa", "Isaev", "Graf Krestovski", "Letuchi otr'ad", "Spetsnaz", "Zvezda imperii", etc?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010, 1:28:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2010, 1:32:04 AM PST
smartpc says:
Free movies and tv you'll find only on torrent sites. But this is not a legally...
Mail me to spam278@ya.ru I'll give to you several links ;)

Posted on Dec 29, 2010, 6:24:33 AM PST
By the way, I've largely updated my list mainly with russian-language classics (20-th century's too). There're 25 titles now!
You are welcome to check ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R36AYWYLMAQYP3/
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the foreign language books forum (62 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers