Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Gardening forum

Favorite night-blooming or night scented flower

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2010, 8:57:28 AM PDT
What is your favorite flower/plant that blooms at night or releases a strong scent at night? I'm interested in planting more flowers for a moonlight garden.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010, 7:06:06 PM PDT
JaxPhotoGirl says:
Easy... for me, it's moonflower and night blooming jasmine! The first is an annual, the second a perennial. Be sure to nick the moonflower seeds with an emery board before you soak and plant them.... they won't sprout properly if you don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010, 7:10:15 PM PDT
I've had moonflowers before. I started them from seed in the house last year but they didn't survive being transplanted. I wonder if night blooming jasmine would do well in zone 4? I keep reading about it and would love to try it.

Posted on Apr 10, 2010, 7:52:54 AM PDT
definately night blooming jasmine! The scent is soo heavenly. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Posted on Apr 10, 2010, 2:13:31 PM PDT
L. B. Taylor says:
Evening Scented Stock, Matthiola longipetala subsp. bicornis, is a wonderful night blooming fragrant heirloom flower that has been cultivated since the 1500s. An annual that reseeds on its own each year. I love it. I have purple and cream colored flowers but I believe it comes in other shades. ....great scent in the late evening and early in the morning.

In cold climates seeds can be sown very early. In warmer climates like mine sow in the autumn and they will bloom in late winter/early spring. Mine are in flower now.

The seeds germinate best below 60 degrees F. Stock prefers well-drained soil in a sunny location. The seeds need light to germinate, so work the soil and pick over for rocks and debris, spread the seed on top and water. Later when the plants have grown, pinch them out in the middle to encourage a bushier growth habit.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010, 9:14:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2010, 9:28:07 AM PDT
Kurt Sprague says:
Double Yellow Datura

On a warm humid summer night... nothing.. but nothing beats it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010, 1:23:33 AM PDT
Night-blooming jasmine has a transportingly lovely fragrance ... but it is easily killed by freezing. Here in Houston - zone 8b or maybe 9a - it will survive a short freeze, or it may come back just from the roots. This winter the only survivors were right up against the house AND leaf-mulched 2 ft high, and all of the beautiful bowers and arches are deadwood - it's sprouting from only the first foot or so above the ground. Sorry ...

Posted on Apr 18, 2010, 7:44:21 PM PDT
Bass Cadet says:
Gardening for Fragrance has a chapter titled "Night Music" that lists several flowers including: Epiphyllum oxypetalum and Hylocereus undatus (night-blooming cereus), Brassavola nodosa (lady-of-the-night orchid), Allamanda cathartica, Brugmansia genus (Datura), and Cestrum nocturnum (night-blooming jasmine). She warns that "every part of the brugmansia is poisonous."

Posted on Apr 19, 2010, 1:42:30 AM PDT
Solarra says:
Angel's Trumpet! It is beautiful and heavenly smelling. Even survived a Ohio winter.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010, 9:29:55 PM PDT
E. Murray says:
Angel's trumpet, moonflower, four-o-clock, lamb's ear, variegated evergreen foliage, narcissus, foxglove, bleeding hearts,..the first 3 are night blooming flowers, also white flowers and silver foliage looks great at night, and don't forget to add scented plants.

Posted on Apr 22, 2010, 12:49:53 AM PDT
D. Wilkins says:
Night blooming jasmine (Maid of Orleans). They are so wonderfully fragrant, and the foliage is beautiful throughout the course of the day. But, protect them when the freeze comes! We had them in the wrong spot at our new home, and we lost them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010, 10:17:18 AM PDT
Moonflower if you are in an area that does well. I also like honeysuckle and this other plant with pink flowers that does really well (wish I knew the name!). Nice green leaves, simple pink flowers, VERY easy to grow and lovely fragrance.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2010, 1:59:28 PM PDT
This lady KNOWS of what she speaks.. Night Blooming Jasmine is the MOST heavenly scented flower

Posted on May 23, 2010, 2:58:06 PM PDT
JulyBaby says:
Old fashion honeysuckle has a strong scent day and night. Moonflowers don't have much of a scent but are beautiful night bloomers. If you try moonflowers, you don't have to nick the seed, just soak the seeds for a day or so before planting.

Posted on May 24, 2010, 5:09:44 PM PDT
I planted moonflower vine seeds yesterday. Wish me luck! I hope they live up to their reputation.

Posted on May 24, 2010, 7:04:12 PM PDT
C. Williams says:
Night-scented phlox - it's an annual that will re-seed itself and it's hardy and cute and smells like candy.

Posted on May 29, 2010, 6:46:10 PM PDT
I love my Dr. Seuss brugmansia (Angels Trumpet)! It is very easy to start from a cutting but you would probably have to wait until fall. I also really like the night scented nicotiana (such as nicotiana sanderae). Not all of the nicotiana varieties are fragrant. And the night-blooming jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum). The flowers are really tiny but I can smell the fragrance from a second floor window when they are blooming. Mmmmmm. Another favorite is the Rainbow of Loveliness dianthus.... the perfume seems to be stronger in the evening than during the day. I am always on the lookout for new favorite fragrant plants :) Good luck with your garden!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2010, 8:54:43 PM PDT
I've been looking for some fragrant nicotiana. I used to grow it from seed, maybe I'll have to do that again. The ones for sale in the nurseries don't have any scent. Thanks for the suggestions, Jennifer. Oh - your mention of Dr. Seuss made me think of the garden I would love to have some day - a Dr. Seuss garden. Full of quirky looking plants. It would be so much fun to create. I just need a bigger yard!

Posted on Jun 3, 2010, 8:51:09 PM PDT
A Dr. Seuss garden sounds interesting :) We need a bigger yard too!

Posted on Jun 4, 2010, 9:54:27 AM PDT
I love the wild honeysuckle, but it can easily get out of control. The cooler night air intensifies the fragrance. Echos of childhood.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011, 9:14:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2011, 8:05:14 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 7, 2011, 9:05:29 AM PST
Nicotiana (flowering tobacco) was always my favorite, and it grows in the north unlike jasmine. Stink Weed oddly enough smells good at night too

Posted on Jan 7, 2011, 9:05:33 AM PST
Nicotiana (flowering tobacco) was always my favorite, and it grows in the north unlike jasmine. Stink Weed oddly enough smells good at night too

Posted on Jan 9, 2011, 9:20:08 PM PST
Nobody mentioned gladiolus tristus. It isn't night blooming, but its scent is at night, especially when cut and brought indoors. I have never smelled any plant as compelling.

Posted on Jan 9, 2011, 9:20:51 PM PST
Nobody mentioned gladiolus tristus. It isn't night blooming, but its scent is at night, especially when cut and brought indoors. I have never smelled any plant as compelling.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gardening forum (191 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gardening forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers