Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

What is the WORST gift you got this year?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 653 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2009, 1:20:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2009, 1:21:22 PM PST
Or ANY year....

Yes I realize that the reason for the season is NOT the gifts...But there are certain gifts that people give that make you want to scratch your head. My brother in law is a double amputee and some in the family gave him a pair of SNOW SHOES!

Of course, I know that you were all gracious when you got the gift but there has to have been a time when the hollywood actress comes out in you when you get a box of used (well, opened) tampons or a previously burnt candle
So my question dear readers is:

1.what is the worst gift that you have ever gotten

2.how did you react to said gift and;

3. do you still have it.

4. Have you ever been asked about it during a conversation (i.e. 'where is the lovely poker dogs picture I bought for your new fireplace'?)

Again, Please do NOT post about how we should be happy that someone thought of us (where is the THOUGHT in a used candle or boots for someone with NO legs) etc....
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009, 2:01:48 PM PST
barb says:
Ok Jane, this wasn't my gift...my daughter-in-law got a USED pedi-egg!!! I told her I thought that would go down in history as the worst gift ever received!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009, 2:15:08 PM PST
J. Bockius says:
I would say your Daughter in law's used pedi-egg gift giver is trying to tell her something (I do not like you!) LOL. That cracked me up. I have a ped egg and I love it becasue in summer I go around barefoot in the garden constantly so the ped egg gets a good work out. It w2orks great and works fast so I have actually wounded myself by using it overzealously. It can take weeks to recover, and ouch! it hurts!

Next year your daughter in law should re-gift that pedegg to - yeah, you guessed it- the gal that gave it to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009, 2:44:36 PM PST
Vanessa says:
This year I hardly got anything, mostly my son got all the gifts. Which I'd rather him get all the gifts than for someone to give me a bad gift(or any gift really). The bad gift I got this year was elmo thermal pj's. When I first opened the box I thought it was for my son(and even he isn't that crazy about elmo), but then I took the pants and top out of the box and saw it was for a women. I just smiled, said that it was cute and its sitting in an old pile of clothes waiting to be taken to goodwill.

I'd have to say that wasn't even the worst, I seem to get a bad one every year. Another year I got this camouflage stars purse. Ok, not too big of a deal right? Well at the time I was in the military and all I wore was camouflage, so I did not want to see any more camouflage. When I got off from work I put regular clothes on not any camouflage, and used normal purses. That also was sent to either goodwill or salvation army. Another bad gift was a used perfume bottle, I still don't understand why that person had to pretend that it wasn't used.

My poor son who is only 4yrs old has already gotten some bad gifts too. Mostly from my Grandmother, who doesn't know any better sometimes(I hope). One of his gifts was a ride on car toy that was for a baby and he was 3 and too big, another one was flash cards for division. At the time he was just barely learning his letters. I know she got some of her stuff at the dollar store, I just haven't gotten the courage up to tell her that she doesn't need to buy him anything.

I do appreciate any gift that someone got me or my son, but sometimes I wish our family and friends wouldn't feel like they HAVE to get us something.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009, 4:47:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2009, 4:48:24 PM PST
huckfinn says:
The worst gift I've ever gotten was what looked like a wooden box (a jewelry box, maybe?) with a vinyl wallet glued to the lid. At first I didn't know what the heck it was (come to think of it, I still don't). The thing is that the person who gave it to me is quite wealthy, and it was fairly obvious to me that she re-gifted an atrocious gift that someone had given her. I mean, there was absolutely no way she saw this odd thing and said to herself, "That's perfect for [me]." I ended up throwing it away because I couldn't think of anyone I knew who would actually like the thing.

What bugs me about gifts like that is that absolutely no thought goes into them. A good gift does not have to cost much money. I did not spend a lot of money on the lady who gave me that awful gift, but I tried to be thoughtful: I knew that she liked these particular type of cookies and that she liked red wine. So, I made her a batch of those cookies (and put them in a pretty tin), and I bought her a bottle of chianti. The whole gift probably cost me $15 tops, but at least I knew that it was something she liked and would use.

To me, people who give lousy gifts are actually more inconsiderate than those who just don't give any gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009, 5:40:56 PM PST
Vanessa says:
I agree with citygal: "To me, people who give lousy gifts are actually more inconsiderate than those who just don't give any gift."

I understand money is tight for most people, and I don't expect to get anything from anyone. I strugle myself sometimes just to make sure I can put food on the table. So I'd rather spend quality time with someone (that I couldn't get back if one of us were to pass away or move away) than get a bad gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009, 11:01:15 AM PST
Julie says:
I actually look forward to opening my mother-in-law's gifts to me. Every time I open a gift I marvel at how much she does not know me (after 20 years of marriage to her wonderful son). She puts no thought into them and it truly hurts my feelings. My favorite gift... a big, brown, fuzzy blanket with a horse head on it... received on my 40th birthday when I was 9 months pregnant in the middle of July in the DEEP South. I agree with someone else's comment about a lousey gift is worse than no gift. She is very reliable with a gift for every birthday, anniversary and Christmas... and I can't think of one that I liked.. and money has nothing to do with it... just the thought that went into it.

On the flip side... her son gives wonderful and thoughtful gifts... so I guess she gave me the absolute best gift of all : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009, 5:46:52 PM PST
C. J. Weber says:
It is astounding how family members can give the worst gifts! My sister obviously doesn't know me, my taste or put thought into gifts for me. I haven't been honest with her about what the gifts actually look like (cheap, made in china) I think she tries to order something nice online, but it isn't even things I would use or have in my house. They end up going to Good Will, what a waste of money for her. How do you approach that without hurting someone feelings? They also never say thank you or acknowledge the gifts I send to her family. (they aren't cheap, or made in China either!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009, 5:56:40 PM PST
C.J, I feel your pain. Good luck trying to have a discussion with her. Chances are if you do, she won't *HEAR* you. I am seriously thinking about asking everyone in the family to draw names for the adults and that way we can do away with the silly unthoughtful gifts if everyone just has to focus on one person. I am having doubts that it will work however because no one will want to have the misfortune of having been choosen by this person. UGHHH!

I wish I had some good advice to give ya but I don't but I hope that being able to vent helps a bit.

And to make you feel better,
I have a family member who insists upon sending me seafood from OMAHA steaks. (it already costs alot of money, why not just send the steaks?) I am allergic to seafood and this particular family member came to visit me in the HOSPITAL after my first reaction. I secretly think that he hates me....I just don't get it. Don't send anything if you are gonna try to kill me- hopefully the cheap chinese gifts won't seem to bad! Hang in there

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009, 10:34:09 PM PST
The worst gifts were the ones I didn't receive this year. I got married and four guests got their share of drinks, dancing and dinner and gave us nothing. The other bad one was the couples that rsvped yes and didn't show or give a gift. Just rude.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 9:06:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2009, 9:08:09 AM PST
I got a 'Dear John" from my boyfriend, John (and Chlamydia). I HATE him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 9:07:08 AM PST
James - DUMP those people. They are NOT your friends. Make new ones. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 11:26:29 AM PST
Jodi Gearing says:
People are not required to give you a gift at your wedding. Did you only invite them because you expected a gift whose value was equivalent to the cost of their dinner, cake, drinks, dj, and share of the rental for the reception hall? While you're at it, why not just give a bill to all of your "guests"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 12:53:10 PM PST
My 3 year old daughter got the Polly Pockets toy set. It's terrible; the accessories are all sooooo tiny that it's impossible to keep them from getting lost -- the shoes are seriously about 3x5mm -- so an hour after she opened the gift we couldn't find half of the pieces. I'm sure most of them ended up in the vacuum or in the garbage with the wrapping paper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 1:05:19 PM PST
"Miss Manners" would say one should not expect anything from one's wedding guests, even if their behavior was boorish and rude. However, it would be rude to tell your guests they were rude. I suggest two things: 1) Say nothing and not invite them to another function or 2) Buy a rifle and kill them all in front of as many witnesses as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 1:50:56 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on May 3, 2010, 5:53:33 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 2:18:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2009, 2:18:51 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009, 10:22:46 AM PST
T. T says:
Guests should be invited because you want them so share your special day not to get a gift. That said we had a couple who are both attorneys that came to my wedding and gave us a card with nothing in it. We were suprised but figured, hey maybe they're having money problems. 2 weeks after the wedding we got a call. They forgot to put the check in the card. Wedding ettiquette says guests have up to 1 year after the wedding to get a gift. Maybe they are taking their time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009, 10:47:41 AM PST
My brother is usually really thoughtful about his gifts, and steals something from our houses to wrap up and send back. :) Sometimes it is something we need, too. We're searching the house for a month cuz we can't find the remote and *Bam!* Christmas rolls around and we have it back.
I love you, little bro.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009, 11:09:19 AM PST
desull says:
I picked out all my gifts, went to a big department store, shopped around, filled up a cart of odds and ends I could use to finish redoing my bathroom, a few craft items, (I'm a scrapbooker, we ALWAYS need something!), only one gift was $100, then my husband could pick and choose out of the cart what he wanted to give me. In the cart I left a package of pillow cases for our guest room, well, he wrapped them and gave them to me and never questioned it, even after we had just purchased brand new bedding the month before for ourselves. So if that's the worse thing that happened, I got everything in the cart and not to sound ungrateful, it would have been nice if he picked out ONE gift for me on his own. Oh well..... he's not here for me to change, just accept and live life the best way we know how. So the message here really is don't give your wife pillow cases, it's not really exciting!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009, 3:51:22 PM PST
Dawn Downour says:
I got a gravy seperator. it is the grossest thing. You put the drippings into it and pour off the juices from the bottom to remove the fat. I do cook a lot but who wants to think about that while sitting with family.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009, 12:01:43 AM PST
LadySLBenz84 says:
This year my fiance gave to me (I am SO embarrassed) this 'grabber-reach' thingy, -a long stick has a 'claw' at one end and a squeeze handle on the opposite end that open and closes it. This was, sad to say, NOT a gag gift ! He told me it would help me pick up or reach for things (I am NOT 89 years old ! ..& how much bigger can my lazy azz get ?!? )....now that I think of it..my elderly mother could never use this because the handle part is VERY hard to squeeze to manipulate the "claw" .
As family came over for Xmas dinner, he was so proud of his gift to me he had to show and give a demonstration to everyone his 'wonderful' 'considerate' gift to me ( thank gawd he couldn't see all the eye rolls and sympathic looks given to me behind his back)

Anyhow....it sat under the Xmas tree for a week and I 'accidentally' left it at his place when I went home this past weekend ! OOoops !! LOL

I suppose if I ever get an elephant as a pet I could use it to scoop poop.

I know...I'm ungrateful and "it's the thought that counts"... NOT !!

Watch out...if ya know me you may get it next year = )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009, 12:47:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2009, 12:49:45 AM PST
H. Connelly says:
Oh, no! I WANT a gravy seperator. They rock!

I keep forgetting to get one, and I just keep cooking turkeys. Don't you separate the grease from the drippings BEFORE you make the gravy? I think you do, it isn't a serving piece.

I can't compete in the gift stakes, for which I am truely gratefull.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009, 1:26:01 PM PST
My friend went on a trip to Maine and brought me back a small stuffed animal lobster. We were 13 at the time so it was a cute gift. The next year, she went back to ME and got me an identical stuffed animal lobster.

I said "um ... now the first one has a twin"
she said: "well, you liked the one i got you last year so i figured you would like it this year too!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009, 12:34:36 AM PST
I would like to start my post by saying I appreciate every gift that every person has ever gotten me. I am thankful that people think so highly of me that they want to send me gifts for Christmas and birthdays, and "just because" throughout the year. HOWEVER with that being said, I would like to say that I am SICK of people asking me "what do you want for Christmas" only for me to say "I don't need anything, but if you have to get me something get me a $5 or $10 Walmart Gift Card" only for them to turn around and give me things that I not only don't need, but also cannot use, would never willingly buy in a store, and would never willingly give to anyone else. These are not "normal gifts" we are talking about here. These gifts are not even worthy of regifting. In fact, some of them cannot even be given to charities they are so bad, and so embarassing. So, they find themselves in the trash can, year after year, and unfortunately, it's a waste of money, time, effort, packaging costs, shipping and handling costs, and resources on the givers part and my part as well.

For all of these gifts, I wrote thank you cards to the gift givers, saying that I appreciate the gesture, but in the future it is not neccessary for them to buy me anything because there is absolutely nothing that I need, nor have room for in my one bedroom apartment that I share with my boyfriend. Unfortunately, these attempts to ward off gifts continue to fail, and over the years, I have received dozens, if not hundreds of gifts that I could put on Santa's worst gift list. Here are just a few examples:

This Christmas:
2 cases of energy drinks that are way over priced (special ones that cost $85 for two cases of 12 drinks each and are in two flavors I would never buy under any circumstances even if I drank energy drinks, which I don't)

Christmas ornaments that are ghastly (1 - I don't have a Christmas tree and everyone knows that; 2 - If I did have a Christmas tree, I want to decorate it the way that I want to decorate it)

Clothes that are nowhere near the right size (Why do people by clothes and guess your size? Why not give a gift certificate? Also, why do they buy clothes that you would never in a million years pick out for yourself? Green plaid casual pants with pink accents...I think not!)

Anything that is colored pink (yes, I love the color pink, but that does not mean that just because something is pink that you need to buy it. We are talking used toys from thrift stores even though I am an adult, teddy bears that are from dollar stores, stickers, duct tape, anything and everything that is pink people feel this urge to buy for me. 1 - if I want something that is pink, I'll pick it out and 2 - just because I like the color pink that does not mean I want everything I own to be pink, I just wanted a pink jacket this year! lol)

The substitutions that people assume are acceptable (I was looking for a pink jacket to replace my blue jacket which I don't wear anymore. I wanted a new jacket, but I wanted a pink jacket, I could still wear my blue jacket, but would replace it (it was a men's jacket) if I found a pink women's jacket, which is what I really wanted. Everyone knew this. I planned on purchasing my own jacket. People made an attempt to purchase me a new jacket....burgandy, red, purple, many other colors, all in an "attempt" to get a pink jacket, but since they couldn't find one they settled for....well if I was going to settle for a different color than pink, I would have done it already, and if I was holding out for, and intending to purchase pink, than it obviously means that I wanted pink"

Anything from the dollar store (I have nothing against dollar stores, but please people, don't buy Christmas gifts at dollar stores and make that the main and only gift. We are talking junk here, and I am not the only one who has received it. My bf received three little disposable tea lights that run off batteries I guess from the dollar store as a gift one year. I have received a purse made out of fun foam because it was pink (my favorite color), happy face stickers (because they were pink), scented candles (everyone knows I am allergic to scented products), perfumes (have you ever smelled dollar store perfumes?), and dozens of other awful gifts from dollar stores that make me cringe, lol).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  353
Total posts:  653
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 39 customers