Libros en Español STEM GNO
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Does it matter to you when you buy a gift whether that gift was made in the USA?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 168 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 2, 2012, 6:37:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012, 6:39:22 AM PDT
If price is equal, I'll buy something made in the USA. Yes, I realize that means asking the seller to take less profit than the guy who is making the same item in China.

If all else is equal but the price and country of production... I've got to do what's best for me and my family and that's picking up the cheaper one.

Overall it would only matter to me if the price of two equal items were the same in which case I'll obviously support something from my own country.

Posted on May 2, 2012, 7:39:08 AM PDT
Sa says:
It doesn't matter to me in which country the product is made as long as it is of good quality...

Posted on May 2, 2012, 8:35:18 AM PDT
Tohru Adachi says:
A gift? No. I go what is best for the person I'm giving to, but if I can find an American equivalent I will do so. Just... unfortunately due to the very specific interests of people I gift to, it's not always possible to find American products. If I'm given a bit broader breathing room, I will gravitate to American products if possible - especially if it's up and coming products from small businesses.

I am part of that "younger generation" that supposedly doesn't understand the value of buying American but something I do understand is the state of the economy and massive job losses on our soil so I like to help out American companies (specifically smaller/local businesses) when I can with my paltry, nonexistent college student income.

Posted on May 2, 2012, 9:53:57 AM PDT
Tim says:
The other thing to consider is intellectual property rights, they are largely non-existent in china and india. If the game is successful, look for it to be copied and sold at a lower price ( and possibly quality) than the game you outsourced to china. That brings up the problem - unless you hire an independent 3d party to monitor the manufacturing quality or move over there yourself to monitor it - the product quality will fall off very rapidly and will not match the initial sample run you contracted for. Finally this would be a relatively small production run and you would have zero clout.Except in very rare cases, most games have a short life, they either fall out of favor or the basic premise is copied. I would renogiate with your american supplier somewhere along the lines of lower cost per unit if the thing takes off like gangbusters or off a share in the company for lower prices (maybe2 to 5%), then put your energies to developing follow on game products. Good luck and remember that decent paying US jobs create customers with disposable income to buy your and other products. Think about Henry Ford - he paid a decent wage and his employees and others could afford his products, his workers bought goods (cars, homes, radios etc.) affordable cars allowed people to move out of the city in to homes they could afford, which in turn created more jobs, grocery stores road construction, schools, police and fire, hospitals, hotels, restaurants and on and on. Take those good jobs and wages and you create zilch - which is how we've gotten to the sad state of affairs we are in today.

Posted on May 2, 2012, 8:44:34 PM PDT
David Rolfe says:
When I'm buying a gift, "Made in USA" is an especially high priority. For a necessary item, I'd still rather buy domestic, but there may be less choice. But a gift is usually an indulgence and meant to please and there's a lot of latitude, and that applies to the giver as well as the receiver. So if I'm giving something, I'll hold out for a domestic product just because there are more choices and I feel better about it.

Posted on May 3, 2012, 3:55:23 AM PDT
1 Peter 4:8 says:
I'm not sure it's something I consciously consider. I can tell you that if I opened the gift and it said made in the USA, it would make me smile and be even happier that I was getting such a nice gift :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012, 5:44:50 PM PDT
Yes, very much. I always try to buy things that are made in the US whenever possible, even if it costs a little more. Unfortunately, it is getting harder and hrder to find.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012, 9:28:59 AM PDT
KATHIE says:
I don't think made in China is cheaper when you look at all th poisoned animals from the different foods and Kids gettingsick from lead paint. I am sure there is much more but I would rather have American made we aren't trying to kill our animals and babies.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012, 12:53:12 PM PDT
A. Gjeny says:
I think I'd rather pay more for a product made in the US - esp. if this info was prominently featured in marketing, e.g., "We could offer this more cheaply if it was made in China, but we are committed to manufacturing and maintaining jobs in the US. In addition, we believe that Made in the USA enables us to guarantee a higher quality product - one that you are sure to be satisfied with!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012, 6:22:50 PM PDT
The funny thing is that only some of the Milo's Kitchen Treats are made in China - the chicken ones. Check the bags next time you're in the store. (Sorry to be off-topic.)

Posted on May 6, 2012, 6:27:49 AM PDT
Robyn says:
I am willing to pay more if it is manufactored in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 3:04:14 PM PDT
Quite honestly, I was raised in the midwest and was raised to support american, state and local products. It has become difficult throughout the years to find products made in america...I have served my country, worked in my community and am a mother to two wonderful young women...i respond with a YES it is of significance to me and i will pay a few dollars more for a USA product if i can as well!

Posted on May 6, 2012, 7:31:00 PM PDT
jimilee73 says:
I'll bet you anything that the components in that PC that you are using, were made in China. Does that make you not want to use the PC?? You really have no choice as most parts for PC are made in China or some country other than the good old USA. Sometimes you have to make a decision of whether or not your product will survive. I think that the country made in makes little difference on some things. On other things, it makes a huge difference. Has anyone ever asked me where they're PC components came from?? No.

Posted on May 7, 2012, 7:28:37 AM PDT
If it matters back up the talk people! There are alot of USA manufacturers closing up. We make union made shirts and it is very tough to keep our doors open. Check us out at http://www.UnionShirtSupply.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 8:38:33 AM PDT
Robert Rantz says:
Yes it matters!!!! If you care about our Country at all it should matter!!! It means everything to me!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 9:53:21 AM PDT
Thank you very much for the link. I went to the website and was quite impressed with what the customers had to say about the quality of the items that you are offering for sale.
Thank you again for the link. It will be a great resource for people that might be interested in having tees made for upcoming family reunions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 12:52:04 PM PDT
Curt Bell says:
I am very sorry to hear that Cara; in my opinion this attitude is what is wrong with this country.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 12:53:38 PM PDT
Curt Bell says:
I would definitely pay more to buy this item if it was made in America. If more people bought American products this country would not be in the dismal shape it's in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 2:41:19 PM PDT
We haven't heard back from you. What did you (and your brother) decide?
I was wondering if you could simply conduct your own test and list both items along side of each other and see what people really do decide when faced with the choice.

You could make both items available on your website and see which one has the more robust sales after you explain why one is priced higher and let your consumers tell you what they would prefer.

Posted on May 7, 2012, 2:59:43 PM PDT
Just a lil something to add to this .. the television brand "Element" has a couple sizes being made in the USA ... google it, great story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 10:03:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012, 10:04:21 PM PDT
Dear TFP,

Since I have started this discussion, I have been receiving a number of emails asking about the game and requesting more information. I am happy to make it easier for those of you who wanted this information. The game is called Outside the Box™ and is not available in any stores. However, it is available on the internet and, of course, right here on Amazon. Here is the Amazon page: Outside the Box - The NEW fast-thinking team and party game! By the way, if you like the fact that the game is proudly made in the USA, please feel free to "like it" by clicking the "like" button. Thank you all so much for your kind words of support. It is so hard to be the small fish in a sea of very big sharks. By the way, we have no intention of EVER making the game in China. The vast majority of people have told us to keep making the game right here in the USA!

Thanks so much and best regards,
Glenn

Posted on May 7, 2012, 10:39:19 PM PDT
S. Kidwell says:
I think that is hard to answer. If you ask someone would they rather the product they bought be made in america, of course they are going to say YES! I agree, I would also like to buy only american made stuff. But, I know most often when i go in the store and most other people you aren't looking at the little part where it says what country it is made from. If hes making a decent amount stick with US, but if he can make a lot more going through china, thats could be a better choice. Your brother is from the US though, and hes making the profit, chinas only producing it and making that bit of profit.

Posted on May 9, 2012, 8:13:02 PM PDT
Aldo says:
YES it does matter. Thank you for asking me. I buy American when possible. So many things just are not made in the US anymore. The USA used to make everything when I was a kid. Anything made in Japan or China or anywhere else was actually inferior to things "Made In The USA". Today production costs are much less in China (although those procuction costs are rising too) but I know quality of China's products have increased dramatically from what it was when I was a kid. Young people have grown up wearing clothes made overseas, electronic gadgets made overseas, and driving cars made overseas. They will not flinch at buying a game made in China (assuming they have a job and money to buy it).
From a practical standpoint the decision to be made is a business decision not a patriotic one and I will leave that up to you and your brother to decide what is best for you. If you decide to make it in the USA, and I hope you do, please make sure the quality is tip-top and worth the extra cost.
For those of you who do not care - if you, or your loved ones, end up unemployed, you will have plently of time think about what you spend your money on and where the products you buy are made. My son-in-law had a good paying production job but he was unemployed so long that he finally accepted a minimum wage job with no benefits just to survive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 12:43:24 AM PDT
Yes, yes, yes! If I am trying to decide whether to buy a non-necessity item: Made In USA will tip the scales. I would not choose to buy the game if it was made in China. I read labels everytime!

Posted on May 10, 2012, 8:30:41 AM PDT
NBAkerley says:
Yes it matters to me. I received a Christmas gift from my son..a game.. and he proudly announced upon my opening it that it was made in the USA. The quality was very nice and the price was a little high, but it was worth it. Imagine what an impact it would make if we all bought ONLY items made in the USA.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers