Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > GPS forum

which brand is the best

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 161 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 3, 2012, 5:41:27 PM PDT
Which comment are you complaining about Jeff

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012, 4:43:08 PM PDT
Wow, what irrelevant comment. Most real drivers have map books, GPS, and Qualcom system. We use all of them. Why don't you go comment on TVs by telling people to read a book. Then again I bet you don't read.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012, 11:40:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012, 11:43:05 AM PDT
Louie D says:
Bought the next generation Navigon 7200 the following year and it has been great with directions. I matched it up against a current Garmin and it still gives better directions. Garmins still take you off a main highway and then put you right back on at the next entrance for no reason (not traffic related). Too bad I can't get a later update for my Navigon after the December 2011 issue, or a newer Navigon since they stopped distributing in North America in early 2010. I emailed garmin who purchased them and Garmin said they have no plans to distribute Navigons back in North America AND no plans to institute the many fine extras Navigon offers into their Garmin models.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012, 9:57:56 AM PDT
E. Mueller says:
Navigon in the United States last posted a quarterly map update in December 2011. I have a model 7100 and was never happy with it's performance. The GPS tells me to make turns where there are no turns, occasionally fails to tell me to make a turn where one was necessary, has told me to bear one direction where it should have been the other, and has on two occasions lead me into full large circle loops with out escape. I will never buy a Navigon again.Navigon 7100 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Posted on May 22, 2012, 5:20:06 PM PDT
Elouise says:
I am looking for a GPS unit, compatable with Mac, which I can use kayaking rivers. Any suggestions under $200.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 11:28:19 AM PDT
I've got a Garmin Nuvi and find that it's terrific on the bike yet needs some getting used to when making those almost arbitrary turns on major highways where there are two or more lanes going off (say) to the right and the other going straight. This would not be a problem if you are hooked up to a blue tooth reciever..... BUT if you incorporate this unit, as I have in my Dodge 2500, it's on the small side and again must be hooked up with Blue Tooth.
I hope I've answered this question adequately for you. I will say that if they had their Nav. Software available for this unit it would be great on say a Boston Whaler or similar *small yet fast and wet dinghy. jabmarine@cox.net

Posted on May 7, 2012, 10:40:41 AM PDT
Hello Forum, I'm looking into the purchasing the Nike+ wrist watch that tracks your calories and distance, as well as using the TomTom GPS to track your location. However, I don't only run and would love to know if I can turn this thing "on" to also get a calorie count for when I'm in the weight room? Or what about simply keeping track of the calories burned all day? Does anyone if the Nike+ watches can do that. Thank you.

Posted on May 2, 2012, 11:10:40 AM PDT
is the Gps for dummies system any good?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012, 7:40:53 AM PDT
Garmin has red light camera alerts available for countries throughout Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, Russia and certain other areas.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=287&ra=true

Compatible Garmin devices include all current nuvi's and the motorcycle-use zumo's

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012, 9:59:52 PM PDT
Arnaud A. says:
Depends on country. But I know I've seen traffic cam subscriptions that you can purchase. Tom Tom also has the service, but it's not as good as the info they have for Europe on traffic cams.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012, 2:10:13 PM PDT
F. David says:
does garmin have a unit that will give you red camera alerts?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011, 8:22:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011, 8:42:30 AM PST
sue says:
Regarding Garmin,I have had the same problem ( does not update time, on an older model, nuvi 750). If you are driving solo, it is tough to switch off and re-start the unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011, 8:21:00 AM PST
Sorry - I should have been more clear and ascribed the suggestion that Android may be faltering to the correct source - that was not my assessment but that of CNET.

I am glad to hear that google provides the maps - they certainly know how to do good maps!

Posted on Nov 27, 2011, 9:44:06 PM PST
Android faltering??? Surely you jest

Although keeping hardware to a price point does require some tradeoffs like an os that is locked to the hardware I wouldn't dis Android per se.

I use a Droid 2 on V@_____on for everything! The screen size isn't big but Google Maps doesn't charge for updates and the network is pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011, 7:40:38 PM PST
Think twice before the android! I have a 5 inch android tablet with 500g hd - nice BUT - for one thing ist android 1.6 and you CANNOT upgrade - I've been told OS compatibility is hardware dependent!
Sure it does GPS - BUT map updates, mounts, accessories are SO much better for a dedicated GPS from a GPS company! But then - if you are looking at a 10 inch GPS and can find a place and way to mount it in your vehicle - I'd be tempted!! Just be sure its got the latest OS and realize when the next OS version comes out - you will still be where you are. So also get the software you want now - Android software sources are even more ruthless about support of older OS than is the PC world! One company whose mail client will support w2k to w7 - won't support other than Android 2 or 2.2! Stiff!

I've seen it suggested that Android is faltering - maybe this is why.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011, 11:26:30 PM PST
Chuck Hursch says:
Sorry to hear about the demise of your W2K machine...

I thought the software went for C: drive, no questions asked.

After looking at gpspassion, I have to wonder if it would be better to get an android device, say a tablet or phone, and put google maps on it. I suppose this would require a lot of data download for the maps, so one would have to get an unlimited data plan. (?)

Posted on Nov 25, 2011, 7:22:33 AM PST
I'm afraid that is going to be a problem with any unit - unless of course you get one you can't update the maps on. I was in the same situation until my w2k machine died a couple of months ago - now I'm stuck with w7 - and hating it - so much lost!

You CAN get around the C: space problem - just don't let your software install wherever it feels like it! Its YOUR computer - YOU decide. Just tell it to install on another fixed drive!

This however won't help that all the GPS companies aren't supporting w2k anymore.

With TOM TOM if the unit you have uses TOM TOM HOME as its computer application - that WILL work with w2k but not all features will work - BUT most of their newer units use a travesty of a program called program called MY TOMTOM which is little more than a browser script which you would think they should have little effort supporting anything - but no - it won't even let you install in w2k! So with the TOM TOM GO series - you are ok - via series - no.

And yes - updating maps has its challenges.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011, 12:59:51 AM PST
Chuck Hursch says:
Was considering a product such as the Garmin nuvi 1390LMT. This would be my first nav-oriented GPS unit (I have a Garmin GPS II from the 1997 timeframe). However, I started looking at the registration and map-update processes, and they may be show stoppers, or at least good-sized hassles. Both require WinXP or later. What to do if you don't have that? I have Win2K SP4, and also Ubuntu Linux (although currently that doesn't have internet access). I also don't have 3.0GB available on my Windows C: partition, but elsewhere there is plenty of space. Software that assumes space on some fixed drive out there is poorly written. I did see somewhere a post where the person remapped the drive letters, but that sounds a little hairy.

I was also looking at the dash mount available for the Garmin. Both my vehicles have full-width dash protectors, so mounting on those is hard, although with the GPS II I've used velcro tape glued to the side of the case and laid it on its side, but I'll probably have to make a custom mount for the 1390 to use velcro. Also, I'm not real clear, even after checking the CA DMV page, as to whether it's a violation of the law to have an object suction-cupped to your windshield or sitting on the dash - anybody really know? I see stuff that way in many vehicles, but I wonder if it's asking for trouble from the CHP et.al.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011, 5:12:46 AM PST
Jason, I am on the road all the time for my business. I have owned the Magellan RM 6000T for many years, and it still performs very well. I upgraded to the Magellan RM5120LMT and have enjoyed it thus far. Both units can have a glitch here and there..I tried the Garmin 1450 and was so unimpressed especially since it gave me wrong directions a lot of the time, that I went back to Magellan. I think the best features are a "chime" when about to turn and in the new Magellans RM if you go the wrong way it will redirect you to original route without the annoying "calculating route" all the time.

I personally think for your parents, this is a good selection with a 5" screen. The color will wash out somewhat in bright sunlight. However, the Tom Tom and Garmin have too many misdirections, and that was important to me. There are many features so look on-line, and there are models that do not have life maps/traffic in the Magellan lineup.

Hope that helps. Avril

Posted on Nov 18, 2011, 7:54:31 PM PST
Jason says:
My parents, in their 60s are looking for a GPS for their vehicle (their first). They're somewhat techno-phobs, especially my mom. The only requirement my mom has is the unit have a view that displays a little car icon. I would like the biggest screen possible (5") & somewhat reasonably priced (around $150 or less).

Any recommendations for my folks? I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated. Thank you. -Jason

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011, 1:07:39 PM PDT
Hi Warren. I just have posted a review re:Garmin 1450LMT. What I am not seeing, and I feel is the biggest issue is how accurate a GPS is. The Garmin above is not as accurate as it needs to be and though there are many pros to this unit, the fact that it does not take you a direct route (after putting in your options and even trying all the options) is a major flaw. It is great for usability, graphics, telling you what to do, but......how about being accurate! Got to have that. Yes every GPS will glitch up on occassion, but this Garmin with directions does it all the time.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011, 6:17:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2011, 6:19:48 AM PDT
Sisyphus48 says:
I own both a Garmin Pilot and a Tom Tom 130. The Garmin hasn't been used forever because shortly after buying it I realized the loaded maps were ancient. It was not eligible for a map update because it was refurbished. I used the Tom Tom and the Garmin on a long trip simultaneously and found that the Tom Tom route took me on some highways that had obviously been there for years and the Garmin showed me in a field. The Garmin worked fine but the ancient maps (I estimate they were at LEAST 5 years old) made it useless so it got put away shortly after I bought it.
The Tom Tom was my favorite as it had more conviences, newer maps, and more user input. The only area it was clearly inferior in was POI which was much more limited. All this being said I am going to have to switch to another brand because of the nightmarish experiences I've had with their support people. I bought a newer TomTom but after trying for 4 hours hand in hand with their support people to download the newest map I was suppose to get I gave up and sent the unit back ( I have FIOS and it can download anything in a nanosecond). What I was struck by when dealing with their support people was how unintelligent many of there suggestions were. So I thought since I was keeping my Tom Tom 130 I would get the newer maps when they were on sale. I purchased the map update but following their web sites instructions to the letter the maps were never forthcoming to download so I had to call my credit card company to dispute the charge and get my money back.
I download things constantly on my computer and almost never have a problem but Tom Tom customer support defeated me and I am going to have to switch brands even though I like my Tom Tom very much.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 6:00:53 AM PDT
Granma says:
Thanks for posting about this! We got our Garmin 1350LMT and will be aware of it. Can you report it as feedback to Garmin??????

Posted on Aug 21, 2011, 6:52:07 AM PDT
This is a great place for useful information on all these brands. Let me add something to it that we just ran into on a vacation from upstate NY to NC and back with a Garmin 1350T.

I really like this thing... my wife has the 1300 for her car. Prior to these, I had a wonderful Harman-Kardan unit that unfortunately suffered greatly from its Windows CE based software to the point that it became unreliable (crashed all the time, locked up in downtown Buffalo one fine day, etc).

On the way back from NC we had two occasions where the Garmin routing really fell down on us. Both times involved a choice we made to go off route to an alternate. In each case, the Garmin went ahead and recalculated, but it kept trying to put us back on its original route far past any point where that was reasonable. My old Harman-Kardan would recalculate, figure out what you had in mind, and get on with it. The Garmin would NOT let go of it's original intended route.

Example: coming up the NJ Turnpike heading for Albany, you can either get on the Garden State Parkway and up to the NYS Thruway, or get on 287 which goes out to the west and then north to the Thruway several miles west of where the Garden State ends. Due to traffic, we decided to branch off to 287, where the Garmin had us continuing on the Turnpike.

The Garmin tried for a few exits to turn us around, as you might expect, but then seemed to figure out that 287 goes right to the Thruway. But I noticed that the time to arrival kept going up instead of down, or staying about where it had been, at 3 1/2 hours. As we approached the Thruway, the damn thing actually wanted to send me south - back to the end of the Garden State Parkway, its original route - and over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Anyone who knows this area knows how ridiculous that was.

We had to cancel the route and restart the 1350, then reenter the Home button in order for it to get its act together, which it did... and an hour immediately dropped off the ETA.

The same thing happened in North Carolina where there are two pretty much equivalent ways to get to Rocky Mount. It wanted to go one way, and kept fighting us on it for an hour till we did the same restart thing.

In both cases, the Garmin tried to add as much as an hour to a trip segment, even though in both cases we were on interstate highways.

Since I now know about this, I can cancel routes and reenter them if we alter our path, but it seems absurd to have to do that.

Anyone seen this, is it a Garmin "feature" or maybe specific to the series? I do a lot of traveling to cities I haven't been before, and I am not interested in becoming a victim of this again.

In every other respect I love the Garmin, but this is sort of an important part of it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011, 11:15:12 PM PDT
I have a Navigon and understand that it's no longer being updated or serviced in the US. I could not update anything. Do you know anything about that?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the GPS forum (637 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  161
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers