Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Graphic Design forum

Software for graphic design

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2008, 8:06:44 PM PDT
Naki says:
I am looking at prices and these software are very expensive..illustrator for example....I am planning to take a course in graphic design, and I want to learn about these software....do the prices ever go down?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 8:44:00 AM PDT
Ladyrant says:
They don't really go down until new versions come out. Your best bet if you're looking for full versions at lower prices would be to either buy them used or buy them when they're not the top of the line, like CS2. Other than that, get the educational version of CS3 and upgrade to the full version if you plan on using it for work, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 9:46:37 AM PDT
Naki says:
I don't see "educational version" anywhere, however, would it be possible to just buy an upgrade when I don't even own a full version to begin with? I assume not, but I just would like to know since I don't have any of these software..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2008, 6:28:57 PM PDT
W. Crouse says:
Why not try the Open source alternatives? The new version of the GIMP has just been released (a photoshop-like graphics editor, it's different but will accomplish the same things).

I've been a user of Illustrator for years, and I find Inkscape (an oss vector graphics program) to be preferable for almost everything.

Learning these are a good way to get started. You can easily take the techniques taught by these tools and apply them to Adobe products, the advantage you get is learning the fundamentals of design/CG without forking out too much money.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008, 1:07:38 PM PDT
You can find education versions, search for them or ask Adobe. There are open source applications that are similar to Adobe products, but if you are serious about getting a job as a designer, firms and agencies use Adobe Creative Suite and you need to be able to use those. Also, Adobe has different Creative Suite options, offering packages of different applications. Ultimately those are the best deals, because if you bought each application one at a time, it would be vastly more expensive. My advice to you is to avoid the open source stuff and get the real thing if you are serious about being compatible with the design world. The training, the job availability, and the file compatibility all favor you using the actual Adobe products. Please see this link:
http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html

If you're paying for your future, do it right. Invest in the proper, industry standard tools.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008, 5:07:25 AM PDT
Tina;
Maybe contact some local design firms, let them know your a student and ask if they have an older version of Illustrator that they would let you have. Most firms are using CS2 or CS3, you may beable to get 10.0.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008, 2:13:45 PM PDT
Alex52 says:
<a href="http://www.abcoffice.com/binding_guide.htm"><b>Book Binding Guide</b></a>

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2008, 7:19:05 AM PDT
CtM says:
Tina, there are plenty of sites on the web that sell educational versions, you just have to provide proof you're a student. I just bought 3ds max 2009 perpetual license from http://www.journeyed.com/homeSelect.asp?SKW=AIHOME for about 400. You can get it with a one year license for 200 (trust me, go with the perpetual)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2008, 7:30:57 AM PST
Donateko says:
I bought the Adobe CS3 Master Collection with an educational discount and paid only 499.99. Furthermore, I called Adobe and they said I could upgrade to CS4 [non-educational] for the same price as if my CS3 was non- educational, which is a pretty good deal because then you can use the software for financial gain and such [which cannot be done with student licenses]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008, 10:29:42 AM PST
Betsey Leach says:
There are substantial discounts available to students enrolled at community college or university courses through a few different website.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009, 9:25:11 PM PST
HBDivegirl says:
Buy older versions and learn on them. Many great programs, Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Freehand, etc., are very inexpensive as used or older iterations. Don't insist on new, latest versions unless rich and wasteful. Plan a program for yourself to learn about retouching photos, tracing and drawing. Work for months and months before you expect results and buy used older books on the subjects. Flash design and animation is the hip trip right now and pays well for freelancers, but DRAWING ability is VERY important to be successful and hireable. Print shops are good spots to learn about the intricacies of print design. Expect a long road. Marry a rich guy and shoot pictures of friends children is my advice. Travel a lot is the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009, 9:28:57 PM PDT
Tina - Buy used software. Get it on EBay or Craigslist. Get a MAC, any kind of MAC. You need Photoshop #1, Illustrator #2 and InDesign or Quark #3 for the printing interface. Printers nowdays want PDF files not raw files. Become familiar with a printer in your neighborhood and pick his brain regarding the procedure of submitting files and what to look for with your proofing. That's the part they don't teach you in schools. Best, John

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2009, 12:38:02 PM PDT
It doesn't matter if you have a Mac or PC. Most high-end CGI work is done on PCs because of the availability of the software. If all you are doing is desktop publishing then a Mac is fine but if you want to do high end stuff then don't unwittingly cut your options short. Do research and check the availability of plugins and third party development for applications, Mac versus PC.
Remember, it's not the tools you have that matter, it's how you use them that matters. Having a Mac won't make you a better designer. Buying into hype is a sign of weakness, not of intelligence and strength. Trust me, I use both Macs and PCs. Both can get the job done but if you have any inclination to add CGI to your graphic design skills then PC is the way to go.

Posted on Jun 29, 2009, 6:14:49 AM PDT
G. Batchelor says:
I know the original post is quite old, but I post for the benefit of others who may read this thread.
Do not purchase old software. Adobe now deactivates software when you upgrade, so older versions may be worthless. Purchase the academic version of the latest release Design Premium suite (currently about $600). No, it isn't cheap, but old or alternative software will not prepare you for the real world. You are investing in your future. The small difference between old or alternative software simply isn't worth it, and older software will only leave you trying to catch up with each new release. Worry about Quark only if it is necessary. 90% of my clients have moved to InDesign.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009, 12:41:04 PM PDT
Be careful you can't upgrade educational versions!!! That is why they are so cheap...

Posted on Oct 23, 2009, 2:19:21 PM PDT
If you haven't even taken the course, why would you want to invest the software? Take the course, see how you like it, then worry about it. You may discover that you prefer massage therapy after one semester and here you've shelled out hundreds of bucks for software you'll never use. Now wouldn't that rub you the wrong way!

Posted on Oct 25, 2009, 4:24:57 PM PDT
A. A. Hawes says:
Hi Tina, I don't usually advertise in a forum but My name's Art and I run an online Intro class to Adobe illustrator CS4. I've had some student have success with getting Educational version of the software. The class is 6 weeks and price is inexpensive. Maybe this will help you out.
http://www.lvsassociates.com/register/product_info.php?products_id=314

Posted on Oct 28, 2009, 5:10:17 PM PDT
Naki says:
Thanks for the responses. I caved in and bought Adobe with my student discount. Now I'm spending the money on these how-to books since I do not understand Illustration! Photoshop, I can manage but still need work at it. Indesign is hard to learn on your own too. And my local library doesn't have these classroom-help books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009, 5:19:59 PM PDT
Keep in mind that you can find many how-to videos for Adobe stuff on youtube, not to mention other places online. Check those out before you buy too many expensive books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Graphic Design forum (23 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Graphic Design forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers