Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Health forum

What Health Book Would You LIke To Read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2013, 11:00:48 PM PST
I am about to start on my second health-related book. I have ideas for about 5 books in total, but am just at the stage of deciding which one to write next. I'm thinking of a comprehensive beginner's guide to juicing, or a beginners guide to getting great health by making small, incremental changes to diet and lifestyle.

For those of you interested in health issues, would either of these books interest you? Or is there a type of book you'd like to read that you haven't found yet? Or some aspect of health that you're particularly interested in.

I'll try to include any ideas in my next book.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013, 11:37:13 PM PST
How's about a follow up to:
Pleasure Trap, the

Actually, Steve, looking for something to write about is not the best way to create a best seller. There are millions of journalist out there competing with you for the position. What makes for a best seller in the health series is to have some passion of your own that you feel is urgently needed in our modern world.

Otherwise, a book that simply reviews what has be promoted previously will simply be a time waster. If you can siphon off a few bucks from such a book, good luck.

It appears there are already a few 'look alikes' to Pleasure Trap, the so obviously Lisle had something important to say. He just didn't write a book for the sake of it.

Get in touch with your own needs and desires, and write about what it is you WANT. Hey, if you want it, surely there are a few more humans out there who want that thing too.

After all, people buy book because people sell books.

Cheers

John$

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013, 11:59:35 PM PST
John, that's great advice. But I think that you misunderstood the reason I asked, or maybe I didn't make it clear. I already have outlines for two books that I am very passionate about. I was just looking for extra info on what people need. So just to take one example, I may write a book and not include recipes. But if everyone says they want recipes I could add that as an extra chapter. So book would still be as planned, but include what everyone wanted. I don't plan to write just any old book because that is what people want. It's more a case of adapting my book to the needs of people. There's no pint writing what I think is a great book if people don't actually want that info, or maybe want it in a different form. But thanks for the reply.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013, 1:36:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013, 1:38:38 PM PST
Steve -

I like health books with solid information, rather than highly biased I'm-in-love-with-honey, or thinly-disguised sales pitches. Some health books I'd buy:

~ A book on vitamins - what we need, what foods have it, latest research. (I have a small book on vitamins I bought at check-out in a store years ago. I still reference it.)

~ A book on "natural" foods to relieve mild or chronic health problems. Instead of rushing to a doctor for a pill-for-every-problem. My husband is diabetic and used to have kidney pain. Horseradish is good at cleansing the kidneys, and he likes spicey food. So I buy him a horseradish-mustard, and now - no more kidney pains.

~ A book on how to more tastily put fruits in our diet, like smoothies or easy cobblers for dessert. (I'm buying a set of pot-pie size pie pans, to make individual quiches and cobblers.) Our country is too heavy on starches, and a lot of fruits are bitter. Plus, those kid-size fruit juices are just 10% real juice, and the rest is sugar water. We really need to get more fruits into the American diet, in versions that we'll want to consume. (NOTE: A recent report said that citrus fruits and juices can neutralize prescription drugs. How do you get people to change over to non-citrus juices for breakfast?)

Just a few ideas. Hope it helps.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013, 8:30:14 PM PST
Captain says:
A book on Amateur Gynecology would be just the ticket.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013, 11:06:06 PM PST
You like the same books as me. :) Vitamin books are good, but I think many/most of them miss the interactions between each other. For example, you you take one particular vitamin, you may also need to take some additional nutrients to go with it. Taking one on it's own can cause other problems, so you need to be careful. While I know a lot about vitamins, I'm not qualified enough to write a comprehensive book.

I'll see if I can include something on fruits, although personally I think fruits should be kept to a minimum, and what people need more of are vegetables. It's very difficult to change people's habits, especially when big business controls the advertising.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 8:23:30 AM PST
As a follow-up, Steve, here is a great government site with all the vitamins explained:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002399.htm
VITAMINS EXPLAINED
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.