Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Health forum

MONSANTO

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 4:36:13 AM PST
Bricktop says:
Where he can compete is by thwarting big business. The president appoints those positions in the USDA, FDA, etc. Obama appointed one of Monsanto's top men to the position of head of food safety at the FDA, ex-biotech governor of the year Tom Vilsack to the USDA Secretary, ex-Monsanto lobbyist Islam Siddiqui to the US Trade office, and several other appointments before we even look at the financial appointments from Goldman Sachs, etc.

People often critique Paul for how many bills he's passed, but what about all the other duties as POTUS that Obama or any other GOP candidate would continue? Signing the NDAA with the awful passage John McCain added?

Get all these conflicted pricks out of those positions and replace them with people who actually care about human safety. How about removing Michael Taylor from the FDA and appointing Jeffrey Smith to his position instead, author of "Seeds of Deception". THAT would be interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 4:20:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 4:21:12 PM PST
E. Lange says:
@Marc
I think the pimp, for taking money away from the individual who earned it. On another note, I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against "whores", choosing sex work as a profession is an adult individual's choice. As long as one is actually engaged in the sex industry by choice, is of age, and isn't violating anyone else's rights or safety (i.e. no rape, stealing, violence, etc.) then it is their business. Frankly, you're far too judgmental of people you don't know. Hummingbirder has yet to post something I agree with (and I think canned spinach is gross) but she (or he, didn't catch which Hbirder is) didn't attack you so i see no logical reason to attack her (or him)....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 7:41:46 PM PST
Grow your own gardens...In pots, remove grass in areas to accomodate your families yard. Learn to freeze and can, pickle and ferment!! You will feel better. Food will be more satisfying and you won't crave as much. They should not be messing with Mother Nature...It has been a long time since there has been a world wide famine but it could happen, because there is no way they have tested their technology on a 100 year level. Look for seeds that have not been treated, learn to save your seeds...Garden shares with the senior citizens centers or neighbors. I think they are too big to stop, but I think we can intelligently side step them. This is what I think...Good Luck and Take Care. lol God Keep us All!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 8:01:09 PM PST
Hi...I'm just an earthling...lol, this week...The problem I have with Monsanto is that they are Genetically Modifying our food supply...Cancer's have quadrupled since farmers started controlling everything with chemicals, DDT, it was a farmer's favorite...The small farms that try and do it the old fashioned way, have their crops polluted by Monsanto's crops...Here is an example...Farmer A is Organic, growing corn, tomatoes and squash, Next to him is a farmer, Farmer B who grows the same crops. But Farmer B's are Genetically altered seeds, that produce chemicals to keep the worms and beetles away. While Farmer A goes out and works his crops, Farmer B's crop's pollen gets into Farmer A's and pollutes it. Monsanto comes along when you complain and say you have violated their patent laws and all Farmer A's monies for that crop goes to Monsanto...I have read the stories, quite a few years ago, so you will have to do your own leg work. I say start to read, and you will begin to see the golden thread of truth.
My reality, is to try and grow as much of my own food as possible. I try and freeze, and can and ferment as much as I am able...I wish you the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 8:02:29 PM PST
LOL...let's not forget Dupont...If we can do better, we should.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 8:07:34 PM PST
I come from a long line of family farmers too, and you dear person make a beautiful point...actually several of them...Happiness can not come from control...Support the small farms that have resisted all the chemicals...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 10:31:06 PM PST
Kris says:
I won't get too deep into this but in terms of the antibiotics in pigs (and almost everything else now), it's no secret that we are finding more and more super bugs that don't respond to antibiotics because the onslaught of antibiotics has caused them to become resistant. Ignoring the health risks to our gut from the all the antibiotics we consume, hows that doomsday scenario when antibiotics become completely worthless to mankind? It's not a fantasy, look at MRSA.

Usually Monsanto doesn't seize the farm, they just hit farmers with lawsuits which forces the farmers to either pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend themselves or settle out of court which usually means the farmers now have to buy Monsanto seed. Today, many organic farmers are fighting back because Monsanto has done this so many times. Most do in fact settle out of court and have gag orders.

The whole point in Roundup ready crops is that you spray the crop with Roundup. So I have doubts about the fact that your neighbors aren't spraying anything.

Finally, what Monsanto does isn't capitalism. They don't just lobby the government (although they do about $3 million worth of that per quarter too), they get their people in government and have them pass laws in their favor. Look up Michael Taylor for one of many examples. He came directly from Monsanto and pushed GMO crops through saying no research was necessary. What's even better than that is how they got rBGH through. That was approved by the very person that wrote the paper on its safety. The FDA told Monsanto they needed to create a report showing its safety. The person in charge of putting that report together was Margaret Miller. Just before submitting it, she left Monsanto and got a job with the FDA where she then approved the report she wrote on it's safety. rBGH is banned in almost every country in the world due to the fact that it causes cancer but it is illegal to put rBGH free on your product here in the US without also including a statement that there is no difference between rBGH products. How's that for being told how to run your business? The labeling law was put through by none other than Michael Taylor who was an attorney for monsanto in 91, became an official for the FDA to pass that and some other pro Monsanto legislation before going back to work for Monsanto in 98 and is now the FDA food safety czar under Obama. What about aspartame and Donald Rumsfeld? What about the judge that recently ruled that people don't have the right to food choice, farm or animal ownership, or the right to eat the food they grow or ingest the milk or meat of livestock they own just before he quit and went to work for Monsanto. The list goes on forever. Monsanto doesn't compete by doing good business or having a superior product. Monsanto uses politicians, lawyers, and their deep pockets to have the rules and precedent set in their favor.

Most people want GMO's labeled. Obama said on the campaign trail he'd make sure it happened immediately. Why hasn't it happened? Why is Michael Taylor our food safety czar? Why did they just approve alfalfa and put no restrictions on where it's grown even though it's well known that alfalfa cross pollinates with everything for miles meaning true organic alfalfa is essentially a thing of the past which means organic hay and therefore organic beef are also now things of the past. Plus, who wants to eat a crop that is, by it's very nature, a pesticide? What about bees? Should we not consider the fact that colony collapse could easily be because crops are now actual pesticides that are cross pollinating with other plants and spreading pesticide genes? What about terminator seeds? What if seeds meant to produce duds end up cross pollinating with other crops and they stop producing seeds? What about the farmers in india that had such luck with Monsanto crops that thousands of them committed suicide by drinking the chemicals they were supposed to spray on the crops after they lost everything when the crops didn't sprout. What about the open documents calling for retaliation against Spain by the US government if they refused Monsanto's crops? Is that capitalism? I could go on for days about Monsanto but I think I've said enough. So much for not getting too deep into this...

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 2:25:11 AM PST
Sam says:
I live near a former Monsanto plant and it has caused severe damage to my community. Our county has a higher cancer and autism than any other in the state, with rates being higher within a three mile radius of the factory. They have dumped tons of contaminated material into our water ways. Their idea of "fixing" this was to settle a class action lawsuit which resulted in a $500 check. I don't see how that compensates for my dramatic loss of home value. There are homes near the factory that were worth but are now worthless. They've polluted my town beyond repair. Do a little research about PCB contamination before insinuating that this company is safe.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 5:06:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2012 7:00:44 PM PST
Matthew says:
More than 100,000 Stand with Family Farmers vs. Monsanto! Do you?

Thank you to everyone for standing with family farmers vs. Monsanto during their day in court on January 31st. Incredibly, more than 55 family farmers and plaintiffs traveled to New York to take part in the initial phase of the potentially landmark case Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association (OSGATA) et al v. Monsanto.

The hearing in Manhattan Federal District Court was centered on Monsanto's motion to dismiss the case and Federal Judge Naomi Buchwald heard arguments from attorneys on both sides. Farmers were encouraged by Judge Buchwald's familiarity with the case and her announcement that she would make a decision in the next 60 days, no later than March 31st.

After the hearing, farmers were excited to join several hundred supporters in Foley Square at a Citizen's Assembly where they addressed the crowd and shared their experience, strength and hope in moving forward.

A short video - hear farmers, plaintiffs and citizens speak about their shared fight against Monsanto to reclaim our seed heritage.

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/i_support_farmers_vs_monsanto/?rd=1

Already more than 100,000 farmers and citizens have signed a pledge to stand with America's farmers in this important struggle to reclaim their basic rights to plant crops on their land and grow food without the fear and threat of intimidation by Monsanto's abusive patent infringement lawsuits.

"I stand with Farmers vs. Monsanto".

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/i_support_farmers_vs_monsanto/?rd=1&t=4&referring_akid=472.117176.IjBNb_

Special recognition goes out to the farmers and plaintiffs who traveled to be a part of this historic day and thanks to members of the Occupy Wall Street Food Justice working group, Occupy Farms, Occupy Big Food, Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association and all those who have helped spread the word of support for the family farmers and plaintiffs.

We believe that together we can win!

Follow the latest news about Farmers vs. Monsanto:

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/i_support_farmers_vs_monsanto/?rd=1&t=4&referring_akid=472.117176.IjBNb_

http://fooddemocracynow.org/farmers-vs-monsanto/?akid=472.117176.IjBNb_&rd=1&t=5

Thank you for participating in food democracy!!!

WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!! SHOW MONSANTO AND THE GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER!!!!!

EMAIL THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND STOP MONSANTO FROM BANKRUPTING THE WORLD'S FARMERS, PATENTING NATURE AND PUTTING POISONOUS FOOD ON OUR SHELVES!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 8:17:53 AM PST
D.R.P. says:
fg

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 10:59:02 AM PST
http://two-rock-chronicles.com/2012/02/18/203/ For information on the history of GMOs

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:30:07 PM PST
you are very naive. 99.9% of corn and soy was sprayed with herbicide before GM crops. The first Gm crops allowed safer/cheaper herbicides to be used. the Bt crops reduce the amount of spraying by chemical insecticides by massive amounts

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:31:07 PM PST
what are you babbling on about?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:32:27 PM PST
RoundUp is one of the least toxic herbicides

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:34:57 PM PST
so why do the US, Brazil and Argentina plant nearly 100% Gm when they cost more and don't work - answer is they do work and they are not toxic. The Eu government scientists are not in bed with Monsanto but they approve the products its only the politicians who don't

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:36:33 PM PST
they make more grain per acre per input cost. Those people didn't die due to buying GM crops they bought false Gm seed froma snake oil dealer

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:40:27 PM PST
The fact is none of this propaganda angainst Monsanto is correct that is why peopel don't sue. There is no damage from Gm crops. The facts are against them. The old Monsanto - a different company made a lot of chemicals and they have gone away from chemicals - their competitors make far more chemicals but this is totally lost on the anti_GM idiots. New Monsanto has 90% of revenue from GM or non- GM crop seeds. You would like that would be better - do the anti-GM crowd want them to go back to chemicals seems like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:52:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 1:53:36 PM PST
Bricktop says:
That is why they don't sue? Guess you must have missed the suit filed in March 2011 by the Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association and more than 80 agricultural and consumer groups representing over 300,000 farmers? Maybe you've missed the 144 suits Monsanto has won in court, another 700 they've settled out of court? When you are a multi-billion dollar corporation people can't afford to sue.

They have gone away from chemicals? Wow, define glyphosate then please.

"so why do the US, Brazil and Argentina plant nearly 100% Gm when they cost more and don't work"

Here's a giant clue for you - http://media.mercola.com/ImageServer/public/2012/january/study1-big.jpg

"RoundUp is one of the least toxic herbicides"

LOL, so now birth defects are just a side affect of not very toxic herbicides?

http://www.theecologist.org/blogs_and_comments/commentators/other_comments/938661/the_inside_story_on_monsanto_and_the_glyphosate_birth_defect_data.html

"The first Gm crops allowed safer/cheaper herbicides to be used. the Bt crops reduce the amount of spraying by chemical insecticides by massive amounts "

False, farmers are now having to make several passes with herbicides because the crops are resistant to glyphosate, farmers are reporting weeding by hands, seeing new superweeds, Monsanto is having to pay to use competitors products while they develop RoundUp2, even more powerful and deadly.

Michael A. STephens - you are a FOUNTAIN of MISINFORMATION. Are you sure your name isn't Michael Taylor?

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 1:57:03 PM PST
Karen says:
Stephen, thanks for responding to him. I didn't know where to even start, he had so much info that was just flat-out wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 9:20:35 PM PST
Swedey says:
That's like saying licking dog poop isn't as bad as actually eating it. What a great endorsement for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 11:28:13 AM PST
Where did you get the idea that GMOs are not sprayed? Monsanto's GE Roundup Ready crops are designed to survive applications of Roundup herbicide, hence the name "Roundup Ready." Monsanto is first and foremost a chemical company; think: agent orange and aspartame. When the patent on its cash cow Roundup expired in the late 90s, which meant other companies could start producing herbicides containing glyphosate, Monsanto developed Roundup Ready crops to withstand applications of glyphosate, and required farmers who purchased their GE seed to sign contracts stating that if they used any herbicide containing glyphosate, it would be Monsanto's Roundup. Roundup has never undergone ingestion tests, and because it is a systemic, you can find it from tip to tail in every plant its applied to; no way to wash it off or avoid it. You are eating it, in every food containing soy, corn, wheat, beets, etc. No labeling laws because Monsanto has successfully lobbied against them in this country. Hummingbirder, you are seriously misinformed; there is a revolving door between Monsanto and key government positions. Two that quickly come to mind: Michael Taylor, deputy commissioner of the FDA, and former Monsanto exec, and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is a former Monsanto attorney. There are many many more.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:19:52 PM PST
LaRemy says:
And God help us all...Obama just appointed Michael Taylor, Monsanto's VP, as senior advisor to the commissioner of the FDA!!!! WTF????? Monsanto is now responsible for our food safety!!! The man that said his company is not responsible for the safety of genetically modified food, that job belongs to the FDA, is now an advisor to the government entity responsible for our food safety!!! Obama is an IDIOT. Yes Michelle. Go teach about GMO food to the little school children when you teach them about healthy eating...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 12:33:28 PM PST
I agree and I know this information to be accurate. Monsanto is a ridiculous company, like BP is. It is so funny what we hear and see in the media compared to what is really done. Monsanto is responsible for a lot of damage!

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 4:45:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 5:07:34 PM PST
G.R. says:
I have to agree 100% with the person who posted this thread. My father was a cutting-edge crop scientist (still is) former largescale farmer and livestock productionist and works as an international consultant. The stories I have personally heard him relay about Monsanto and the very EVIL things they have done to farmers, americans in general and the food supply are absolutely so terrible, unfathomable and wrong that I cannot even write them here out of fear they will do what they have done to so many other people who have spoken out.

I can only suggerest that if a person is looking for unbiased research in regards to this company, that they try to get their hands on the 'scientific reports' that Monsanto actually conducted, tests if you will, and published....prior to them realizing they made a huge error and quickly tried to destroy all the evidence. I'm not sure it still exists, but it would be worth looking for. The only people who know about it are the ones who had former knowledge about it.

I'm sorry to say this, but I do not think any person, organization or other can win in court vs. Monsanto. They have almost as much control as big Pharma and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to politicians, judges, etc to get what they want....and that is control and power. They will not go down easy, if at all.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 9:23:41 PM PST
Jred says:
In France, they call it "Mon Satan" the pronunciation is almost the same. It is the truth too. No GMO crops for Europe or hormone infested milk. Mon Satan needs to buy off European politicians the way they have here. If they are not stopped, it will be very bad for mankind.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 390 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  182
Total posts:  9746
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2010
Latest post:  2 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions