Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Health forum

I have NO sense of direction AT ALL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 349 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 10:08:45 AM PDT
KING CONAN says:
Glen Beck Sucks, India, China and Russia are buying up the Gold and lots of Natural Resources, Because they know our currency is, only backed by a printing machine.
Their new currencies will be backed by Gold, D'Ya get it?
Palladium, Platinum, Copper, Aluminum etc.....All have a value, And paper backed by nothing, Is worthless paper.
I take an ounce of Gold to a coin dealer, He takes his small percentage out and writes me a check for the balance (why is that so hard for the brainwashed to figure out)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 10:18:42 AM PDT
I LIKE NPR for music, but not for news. It is for the reason you state: the annoying voices. I can certainly digest the information, but my goodness, even if it's a news story about a good event, their voices just suck the life outta me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 10:21:00 AM PDT
I listen to local radio stations for news, not syndicated shows of any ilk. Same with TV, local only. I don't listen to any pundit at all. I'll read news from a number of sources on the internet, but I take all of that with a grain of salt because anyone can set up a website and call it a news outlet.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 10:24:11 AM PDT
KING CONAN says:
Hummingbirder says: "I LIKE NPR for music"
That's only because they don't let The Drones sing. ;)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 11:16:34 AM PDT
R Monroe says:
Just as people voted for palin because of her looks there are people that flock to Limbaugh because of his voice disregarding the misinformation that he spews. If you are not into politics then I can see how one would not listen to NPR because you would rather listen to music. But if you are a politics junkie you would listen to all sides. It is rather simplistic to say NPR is lousy because of the voices of the personalities.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 12:47:06 PM PDT
Sigh,,, TREEHUGGER -- the link is in two posts above where you posted, try the page before and the page before that -- it may not have been on the current page - I've had my say -- and now that I see that my point has been missed by trolls, i'm gone. Thank the rest of you for being polite and sane. If you are interested in cutting edge science - try Science Daily, and try 'Strange Science' -- or a field you are interested in - and you will get a daily newsletter on that sub-category. It's written in English, and even has links out to other internal links which are generally along the same subject line if you want to follow the history or get another take -- this is cutting edge science - but is not on this subject. Have a good weekend. TREEHUGGER hope you find the link(s) you will find that there are not just A and B markers, but markers for distance, direction, etc and the closer you are able to 'drop' them the more you know your way around -- and the more you can navigate -- not the same thing. Have a lively discussion.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 1:06:13 PM PDT
R Monroe says:
Oh how upsetting is all this!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 1:21:43 PM PDT
Yes, it takes but a few to really turn a bridge of information exchange into "Trollville"-- you pay their price == you listen to them endlessly. And topics wander used to go along with it - but now, with experience, I simply leave the list when the trolls enter and the discussion devolves to, well, the voices of people who work for an entire network, male and female -- when the point of the discussion is disorientation in a persons world, and what might be wrong and what might help -- Don't let it discourage you - just know that there's a price to pay for a discussion once the trolls have found it -- and it's no longer worth my time to keep on point or to waste my time -- hope you found the links, -- not everyone's mind inquires in the same way. It's why we have a bell curve in high school and below, Just because you are above normal doesn't mean you are in all things. And then there is Random error . . .paul

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 1:33:12 PM PDT
R Monroe says:
Paul, you are right but it bothers me when people think there is 'something wrong with them'. Obviously most everyone has some direction finding abilities, I happen to enjoy map reading and routefinding and I still fear getting lost and am not flawless in my ability to go from point A to B. Most people do not venture out into the woods and take a chance.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 1:49:11 PM PDT
R Monroe says:
To be honest I was not the one that steered off topic. King Conan is the troll on here with his mindless additions, why not lambast him?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 2:38:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2011, 2:49:13 PM PDT
KING CONAN says:
Tree,

Troll ? Did you say Troll? Well I never %^^%&(*

Like all threads, We react to someone elses Posts and some people act Real Bitchy, When you reply to them "In Kind"

You make assumptions about everybody and then when you get called out on it, You want to act like The Virgin Mary or somethin.

You started the Little Politico, With one of your not so Vague Insults.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 3:58:27 PM PDT
R Monroe says:
Paul G mentioned some pertinent NPR episode and I was defending NPR. Someone wrote something about stinkeye and someone wrote something about needing to pee in a walmart. Then bad hygiene was mentioned and some woman told about having no clothes on, that's all I remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 4:20:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2011, 4:22:52 PM PDT
KING CONAN says:
Amnesia ......CUTE!......Works for Me. ;)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 4:48:13 PM PDT
R Monroe says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Psg6EaiSww

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 5:34:24 PM PDT
Treehugger, there was no mention of bad hygiene (I went back and read), and Conan was talking about having difficulties locating the men's room in a SuperWalmart, and finally using the ladies room so there WOULDN'T be bad hygiene. Point is, he was talking about getting lost! He said some woman gave him a dirty look and *I* apologized for her giving him the stinkeye.

It's as valid as discussion as posting links to articles: He was lost in a store.

I told Paul I didn't want to go to the links; I think I made myself pretty clear why. Innately, I understand how my sense of direction works. I don't need NPR or anyone else to tell me, I just know how it works, the same as I know how to breathe.

This is a discussion, and I think we can go on a tangent and bring it back. If Paul wants to have a hissy fit because no one started fawning over his links, well, I've had the same experience and I'm still here. Instead of leaving, if someone is interfering with his conversation, he can put that person on ignore.

Sounds like I'm ranting at you, I know, but this squabble occurring really isn't that big a deal. Sorry.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 7:51:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011, 2:47:02 PM PDT
sgns says:
My take on october's question is this: we CALL it sense of direction, but the single term disguises the fact that just HOW we arrive at a sense of directions CAN vary incredibly much between people. We really rarely are aware of how we ourselves know what we know. (For example - I often suddenly 'realize' what time it is down to the minute, especially when I wake up - call me crazy if you like!).

Sometimes - especially when we're growing up in environments where there are enormous amounts of shaming or we for some other reason obsess about controlling ourselves - to receive approval, for example - I think we 'freeze' our modus operandi for dealing with something, to the point that it becomes simultaneously meaningful and unconscious to us (that would be called 'identity'). It can sit incredibly hard within us - how we do it (ask me about procastrinating...), but it's like ... we can learn to get a sense of direction in our thinking, by learning to become aware of how we are thinking. Yet again, there are many ways of doing that too. There's no right or wrong here - only exploration and great adventure, especially when you have a history with this kind of 'problems'.

What I'm saying is that we are what we are (even if we don't know what that is - telling a story is not the same as knowing), and that is okay. Trying to be something other than what we are is asking for trouble, or at least a frustrated expectation. I'm not talking about trying to achieve things here - I think we all have unlimited potential to do that - but I'm saying that we are what we are. Rejecting our own being is not the way to our potential, yet we do it so often.

My wife, sharp as a diamond in so many things, can get lost in the center of the city, after having lived here for 10 years. I love it - space and directions is a neverending mystery, then. I have my own blind spots, and think we all have a potential - like a *real* talent to lose ourselves - to lose direction, both in the physical world and in our own thoughts. This enables us, at least sometimes, to get uncaught from our own logic (which is often our reaction to somebody else's...) and try or discover a new one, which might be the greatest lifesaver we're given. On the other hand, the more aware we are of what we're doing, the more we can both catch ourselves getting 'stuck', and 'jump tracks' consciously.

Amazing topic october and everyone. Thanks. I love that we were all able to share, and I hope you're having an awesome weekend.

If you think the topic on getting directions inside your head was fascinating, think about just how fascinating what you experience while dreaming is, and how large, if you can become aware of dreaming - We're all obviously skilled practitioners of dreaming, but rarely consciously. Then, read something by Carlos Castañeda - from the top of my head, let me suggest: The Fire from Within, or The Art of Dreaming. Or start from the beginning with The Teachings of Don Juan (again, many ways...). THEN you'll almost certainly realize there is more than one way to orient yourself, to "be".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011, 10:40:58 PM PDT
Cathy says:
I lack a sense of direction also. I first encountered it in kindergarten when I went into the bathroom that connected two kindergartens and after coming out of the stall I went into the wrong kindergarten even though I thought that was the side my room was on. I'm now 55 and I've travelled all over the world and only felt hopelessly lost once in my life. It's manageable. I had to learn not to trust a strong feeling that a certain direction was the right one. Instead I have to pay attention, make conscious (or written) notes, and as others have said, look backwards a lot. The biggest thing I have to do is to remain conscious of where I am. I don't have the luxury some others have to thing about something else while navigating. I didn't get a GPS until this year because I didn't want to lose my hard-earned gains, but I'm loving it. I'm traveling more stress free with it than I ever have before. Best wishes to you. I can tell you for sure that you can have a very happy and successful life with a lack of sense of direction.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011, 1:54:16 AM PDT
R Monroe says:
I wonder if personality has something to do with getting lost or disoriented. If a person generally does not look around at things in their surroundings then they will miss the cues that surround them. If they are concentrating on things in their mind and not on their surroundings then their surroundings will blend and become irrelevant. If a person is looking around at their surroundings then finding their way around would become easier in the future.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011, 1:56:16 AM PDT
R Monroe says:
Hummingbirder, you offended Paul by claiming you had no interest in reviewing the links he provided. I will check them out later when I have time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011, 5:51:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2011, 5:57:49 PM PDT
sgns says:
Yeah, I wonder too. Doing interviews in human geography, one finds that people who live at the same street orient themselves by very different markers - they see very different things. So not even 'the surroundings' is something that we obviously have in common - because we understand and care for them very differently.

My wife's from one of the biggest cities in the world, I was from the country-side. She knew how to move anywhere, but not exactly where she was. I knew precisely where I was, but it takes some time to figure out how to move. Probably not for nought, there's actually some writing about the relationship between our environment (how cities are) and our personalities.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011, 1:14:42 PM PDT
TreeHugger - I taught College and University (and K-12) for call it 25-30 years. There are always those who believe that knowledge is both static, and intuitive enough that they can 'know' it themselves. I left not because my feelings were hurt, but because the help that October, the original poster needed, had devolved away from the subject -- many of the people on this board would fail any number of my classes.

Because the FOCUS blurred for them, they just don't have the ability to stay on topic, or feel that what they know is all that they need to know.

For you, because you will understand-- a quick 4-5 minute U-tube presentation that most students in Teaching and Science programs see at the beginning of every semester will help you understand why 'static' knowledge becomes, very quickly, an "old wives tale" -- I played a version of this video in many of my classes for several years now -- and am still amazed-- Australia just pushed photos around on a circuit board, and made transistors that work with photons - light-- so you may in the next several years have a computer the size of a wrist watch on your wrist that is more powerful than today's desk-top - how to see it or hear it is beyond me - but it's now possible -- and faster than many super-computers of today. So -- THIS is the reason I left the list -- people do not care to learn but would rather just expound what they think is true -- and it may well have been 3 or 4 or 5 years ago. But not now.

Enjoy the Video -- and be ready to be overwhelmed and perhaps a bit scared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8W1WuxGniE

SGNS has some VERY good points-- and makes several very important distinctions that might help the original poster. -- have a very good day you who know you may not know. And BTW - the law quoted about unique information doubling every two years, is really 18 months.

again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8W1WuxGniE enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011, 4:37:52 PM PDT
Pika-True says:
Preach it. I suck at math and navigation too.

I use GPS to get to the same exact movie theater I've been going to for a little over a year now.

I can't navigate or find my way out of theme parks.

5th year of college at the same school and I was still using maps to find buildings.

I've been living in a new place for a little over a year, but had been visiting years before living here and I still have NO IDEA HOW TO GET BACK HOME.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012, 8:07:05 AM PST
Talkaleena says:
I just read your post, and it was like reading my own Bio!! The only difference is, I'm a lot older than you, and we didn't have GPS when I was a 20 year old college student! I moved to a new city 10 years ago, and I'd rarely go out. I would turn down invitations for weddings, parties, NFL games, NBA games, out of town adventures and just dinner at a restaurant on the other side of town. All because I was afraid of getting lost. I took the train to work every day because I was afraid that I'd never get to work on time because I was lost somewhere. I bought my first GPS last year (I had to start driving to work in the city), and literally got angry at myself for not having purchased one long before! Obviously, I cannot use it for every situation and everywhere that I go, but I will tell you that having it has made me feel more confident in my travel. I've gotten out of my house, and literally, my life has changed completely. I hope that things will get better for you, trust me I know; that is no way to live :(

Posted on May 17, 2012, 12:28:29 AM PDT
Dear Poster x
A couple of people on here haven't got a clue and their comments aren't helpful either so why bother posting???! But light is at the end of the tunnel. I don't have a solution but I might have your answer. I too have this problem to a very embarrassing degree. I just had an educational psych assessment and apparently, according to stats only 2% of the population are worse than me when it comes to directions. Yet I am very intelligent, an academic achiever and starting a degree next term as a mature student, I'm 37, in creative and media writing. I'm somewhat clumsy, a procrastinator and suffer from migraines and severe headaches almost daily. I also get physically tired very easily. Bright lights and busy images and driving also trigger headaches. I also can get extremely cold and sweat profusely from my head and face and Like you, doctors did not piece all this together, which the psychologist says is a clear case of dyspraxia. Look into dyspraxia, it may explain a lot for you. Ps, to the "it's a skill like any other" etc. it's a neurological problem, if dyspraxia is the cause and no amount of practice will help. Unless you're informed or want to "helpfully" contribute, do shut up!

Posted on May 17, 2012, 12:46:31 AM PDT
Whitney says:
Everybody is saying something different but I am 99% sure this is a case of dyscalculia which I have.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  349
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers