Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Health forum

Why it is so hard to buy "made in america" products

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-33 of 33 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:27:26 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
Steve wasn't referring to taxes. He was referring to the fact that manufacturing jobs are disappearing the world over as we replace labor with capital.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/04/24/apples-foxconn-jobs-just-arent-coming-back-this-is-complete-nonsense/2/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:31:46 PM PDT
Azriel Abyss says:
A bit simplistic, but somewhat accurate. Taxes and minimum wage laws and well as restrictions on the labor of people under 18 years old prevents the US from being an manufacturing economy or an agricultural one. We have a massive trade deficit and our "service" economy is going down the tubes. a Nation needs a healthy balance between service and manufacturing and agriculture markets. You don't want everything to be made in the US because that would mean less opportunities for those who are better suited for things other than manual labor. Look up a thing called Comparative Advantage. I buy to whoever makes a superior product at the most affordable price. Just because it doesn't say "Made in the USA" doesn't mean it's not good for the country when you buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:37:13 PM PDT
Azriel Abyss says:
You're economically illiterate. Please take some courses in economics before presuming to know anything about how business or markets work. Taxes have a huge impact on whether a business wants to operate in a given location as it has to do with overhead. So many companies have left California for that exact reason. Places like Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas are increasing in businesses than other states precisely because of their low taxes. High taxes also means its tougher for smaller companies to establish themselves because they can't afford the corporate taxes. Meanwhile large companies solidify their power. US workers do over value their labor more often than not. What determines the value of labor? whatever the people say its worth.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:43:03 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
We have PF Chang around here, but not Pay Way (that is funny considering our conversation!). I have the retro-engineered recipe for their ribs and it is exactly perfect and very good indeed. I will give it to you if you agree with everything I say. It isn't that hard to make, but won't be accepted by those who hang out on the Magic Cure sort of forums.

I would never say all corporations are evil or anything like that. Some corporations act in evil ways because the leadership acts in a moral vacuum. Others are run by people with a wider view. I would say that your admiration of huge corporations is not mutual. Many of them would crush you tomorrow if it meant a nice bonus. There well may be a bigger chance of this happening than some union coming in and wanting triple the wages...

History is full of examples of evil corporations, and some exist today. I do believe that the resulting regulations have tamed this to a great extent. Can you imagine a car company now deciding that they will pay for the deaths of people burned by exploding Pinto gas tanks because it is cheaper than recalling the cars and installing a shield?!

Or actually running a pipe down to the river and dumping enough stuff to cause the river to catch fire?

Still, clearly there must always be rules about how people behave, as some don't, and that goes for corporations as well.

Now, is shutting down a profitable American assembly line down in order to send the work to China to make a larger profit actually evil? It is unpatriotic for sure, and greedy I would say. And saying "But Mom, everyone is doing it" is not becoming. It is evil if they are also avoiding taxes that others, your US-bound corporation and you as an individual, have to pay for them. You think that is ok and are you happy to do it to support the concept of unfettered corporate behavior?

I believe the big corporations wrote the tax codes that encourage overseas production and the loopholes that they, but regular people and business cannot access. Is that evil...or not? Maybe it is more evil of our representatives who voted for these laws in return for campaign funds, knowing what they would lead to.

Oh, and I bought Apple at $14 and still hold all my shares... I went all-in when the market crashed, doubled my retirement fund. All these companies made a lot of money because they went to China, downsized, went to automation, pay unequal taxes and so on. Maybe I am evil for riding on the misery of others. I am not taking one side exclusively, just what I see as inequalities and areas in our economy where there should be some change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 8:17:40 PM PDT
PM says:
To John Edlund, the initiator of this discussion....I had a similar experience about a year ago. I bought 8 place settings of Pfaltzgraff dinnerware + all the serving pieces only to find out they were made in China and are of pathetic quality. I was expecting the same standard of quality that I got with two previous sets of Pfaltzgraff I've owned over the past several years, but found out that is no longer the case. They are just cheap Chinese crap - very disappointing. And judging by the other reviews by people that bought the same set - moving their manufacturing to China is fast destroying the company's former good reputation for products of high quality and durability. I will never buy anything from them again.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 8:34:55 PM PDT
Carlgo says:
What would be interesting to know about Pfaltzgraff is whether they were bought out and then the products sent to China to pay for the takeover. Per discussions about Ronmey's company, there is some sort of way they come in, gut everything, wait for it to fail and then they can pocket tens of millions of dollars. Or if a new CEO came in and thought he could change things, get rid of his workers and have it made in China and get a big ol bonus for doing this.

Or the company just thinks costs will be lowered, profits will be higher and most people won't notice the lower quality, especially new buyers who haven't compared. Maybe a jet, or a golf membership at Pebble Beach! That's the only thing they care about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:12:18 PM PDT
ToyReviewer says:
It is probably hard to buy "Made In America" products because you do not make enough money which means you probably live in America. Are you for real don't want to buy something based on where it is made? I have bought many things made abroad that are cheaper priced and better quality than most of the "American Made" trash.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:17:36 AM PDT
How can people still be trying to blame unions!? Do PM's small business and PF Chang's have unions?

It is a convenient whipping post, but not really to blame.

I am always amazed that people will blame unions, but will ignore the all-too-frequent example of the large corporation that loses millions of dollars during a quarter/year and the higher level executives (who are earning huge salaries) earn bonuses by laying off workers....all without actually making money.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions