YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now NYNN
Customer Discussions > Healthy Eating forum

"Starter" Vegetables & Fruit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2012 1:20:04 PM PDT
Jessica Mack says:
I'm a picky eater. I admit it. Don't judge, eh? Not all moms were perfect.

I want to incorporate more vegetables and fruit into my diet, but I don't know how to start. I need advice on where to begin based off of my current tastes.

I do eat spinach & herb salads. Iceberg lettuce is disgusting. Radishes are demonic, though.

There are a few smells and tastes that make me want to throw up: BBQ sauce, buttercream frosting, milk chocolate, and a lettuce/mayo combination, particularly when combined with cold meats. Also: ham, particularly GLAZED ham. YUCK!

I'm not a fan of sweet, which I suppose makes sense given the above list. I prefer the "85% cocoa" dark chocolate, for one. Oranges smell great, but orange juice is cloying. As I mentioned, most frosting, glazes, and the dreaded buttercream frosting just make me gag.

I don't like watery flavors or consistency. Soft ice cream and mashed potatoes fire my gag reflex too. Stringy food is nasty. I don't like thin sauces. Nothing that runs, drips, or spreads too easily.

I like crunchy, crispy, slightly tough foods. French bread, jerky, plain flavored Sun Chips, etc.. Not too salty, though! I'm not a fan of very salty, either.

I like herbal flavors, coriander, nutmeg, paprika, cumin. Mint for deserts and vanilla.

I do love meat. I like broiled pork chops, grilled chicken, turkey dogs (with sharp cheddar wrapped in a piadine!), a good steak.

Typically of a Midwesterner, I love bread and fried potatoes.

I like almonds, cashews.

Lasagna is my favorite food with lots of béchamel and tomato sauce and ground sausage.

My one boxed vice is Kraft Dinner, the Thick n' Creamy variety. It's the one thing I just won't give up. I love how thick the "cheese" sauce is on it, how the macaroni are a little thicker.

Anyway, any suggestions? I'm thinking things that are crunchy, fresh, and maybe even a little spicy.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 2:47:41 PM PDT
Hi Jessica,

celery sticks, carrots, and apples is good especially the pink lady and green apples

umm.... hondew dew is sweet and watery, like watermelon but not as sweet

and red grapes are really good

i dont know of any vegetaables or fruits that are spicy..but if your looking for hot peppers try one called scotch bonnet (mostly used to spice up meals, known in the carribean)

you can have these as snacks between meals, rather than a bag of chips

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 7:01:09 PM PDT
Roasted sweet potatoes - turn oven to 400ish (anywhere from 350 to 450 works, so you can cook this with something else), chop sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch thick rings, slice some onions (I use sweet or red), put in a large baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with you choice of spices (I like using the Old Bay Crab Seasoning - it is nice and spicy without being nothing but hot), give it a stir so that everything gets coated, put in oven for an hour or until you start to smell it, check for desired doneness & remove when things are as crunchy/soft as you like
This one also works well with butternut squash (these are a pain to peel) or normal potatoes, or frankly any sort of root veg (parsnips, turnips... but they have a stronger flavor) or any combo you'd like to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 12:31:40 AM PDT
Swedey says:
Maybe it's time to grow up Jennifer and quit blaming Mom. Just start taking care of Jennifer, Eat for health and quit worrying about if the food is suiting your up to the minute tastes and your palate will mature to that of an adult.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:28:26 PM PDT
Jessica Mack says:
Thank you for the feedback Clarke and Dragon! I'll try some of those. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 3:42:03 PM PDT
your welcome Jessica, glad your taking the steps to incorporate vital fruits and vegetables along with your meals, enjoy!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:27:50 PM PST
maika says:
Be careful with the fruit and veggies. For 30 years I had a terrible colitis and gastritis, swollen belly and constipation. When I had to move to another city, there was no time for cooking so I ate mostly crackers or dried italian bread with cheese or a slice of ham, maybe an olive in iit. In two weeks of packing stuff my belly was gone, so was the constipation. Dozens of doctors always recommending more fiber belong to the history. I don´t eat anything raw and at 65 I´m sorry I spent the best years if my life looking and feeling dreadful and spending a lot of money on all kinds of exams and drugs that never worked. Try to monitor your digestive system as you add those veggies and remember that human brain didn´t evolve being nourished by bananas. It was MEAT!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:29:53 AM PST
Why not try to make a vegetable lasagna... You can hide all kinds of vegetables amongst the layers and sauces.

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 7:52:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 21, 2013 7:52:35 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Healthy Eating forum (29 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Healthy Eating forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Sep 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer