Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Historical Romance forum

Medieval 'Steamy' Romance

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2008, 12:34:44 PM PST
Donna Myers says:
Hi book lovers. This is my first post though I've been reading these forums for months and have found hundreds of recommendations!

I've spent the past 12 months reading paranormal romance and fancy getting back to my historical roots for a break.

I'm looking for medieval romance books that have good sex scenes. I like my men to be alpha if possible (warriors preferably). Don't mind if the heroine is raped/nearly raped/mistreated by the hero as long as he redeems himself by the end. Don't mind if the heroine has been beaten/mistreated/whipped by family/others in the past.

My favorite stories are where she's been mistreated and runs away and is saved by the hero. Or the hero takes her castle by force and forces her to become his wife. Or the hero kidnaps the heroine, ends up falling in love with her. Or, during the story the heroine is kidnapped/beaten/mistreated by Villain and Hero saves her. That sort of thing. Yes, I like my Heroes to save the World, one Heroine at a time!

Any area is fine; England, Scotland, etc (Gotta love those Scottish Lairds!).

I don't like big, epic stories that span entire lifetimes, they bore me. I don't mind if it's over a few years.

Examples of authors I like: Lora Leigh, Meljean Brook, Kresley Cole, Jude Deveraux, Christine Feehan, Julie Garwood, Virginia Henley, Emma Holly, Brenda Joyce, Samantha James, Angela Knight, Elizabeth Lowell, Johanna Lindsey, Karen Robards, J R Ward, Kathleen Woodiwiss, to name but a few! If you have recommendations that are for any of these authors please also write them down as I haven't read every book by each of these authors and I might have missed some good ones.

Loads of recommendations if possible. I can read an average sized book (300-400 pages) in about 4 hours and my TBR pile is getting worryingly small!

Any help would be much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 12:45:09 PM PST
MelissaO says:
I was going to recommend Julie Garwood, but you already have her on your list.

How about Kathleen Woodiwiss? She has some wonderful alpha male medieval stories. I think The Wolf and the Dove and So Worthy My Love would match your interests.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 1:02:39 PM PST
You might want to try Madeline Hunter's excellent earlier books (she writes Regency now). By Arrangement, By Design, By Possession, The Protector, Lord of a Thousand Nights and Stealing Heaven.

If you want more sex than deep story you could try Julia Templeton's The Bargain, The Conquest or my fave, Kieran the Black which is a time travel.

If you want medieval lite/wallpaper-y Kinley MacGregor's written some that are entertaining. Master of Desire I recall was a fun read. Her MacAllister books were okay, mainly Claiming the Highlander and Born in Sin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 1:52:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2008, 1:58:02 PM PST
Agent Scully says:
For erotic steam I second Julia Templeton: The Bargain, The Conquest and Kieran the Black (novella).

For less explicit steam but still sexy and plots along the lines you like:

The Vow by Juliana Garnett
The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss
The Magnificent Rogue by Iris Johansen (Elizabethan)
My Lord Conqueror by Samantha James
The Warlord by Elizabeth Elliott
Shadows and Lace by Teresa Medeiros
Lord of Vengeance by Tina St. John
Maiden and the Monster by Michelle Pillow
Master of Surrender by Karin Tabke
The Devil's Lady and especially Maiden Bride by Deborah Simmons
The Maid of Lorne by Terri Brisbin
The Prize, Gentle Warrior and Honor's Splendor by Julie Garwood
Blackheart by Tamara Leigh
Prisoner of My Desire, Defy Not the Heart and So Speaks the Heart by Johanna Lindsey
Master of Desire by Kinley MacGregor
The Bride Hunt by Margo Maguire
A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 2:07:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2008, 2:09:56 PM PST
K.O says:
Donna M.: I'm assumng (because it seems too on point for you to have overlooked), you've read Karen Marie Moning's Highlanders series? You were reading PNR, so it's probably not new to you . . . but just in case, read "Kiss of the Highlander," "Dark Highlander," "The Immortal Highlander," "Touch of the Highlander," and "Spell of the Highlander" in that order. There are two before "Kiss," but I'd go ahead and skip those in hindsight. They just aren't that good and pretty much everything is clear from "Kiss" on.

Again, I'd be surprised if these aren't "old news" for you, but it's worth a post that they not be missed with your likes.

I especially second MelissaO and Agent Scully's Woodiwiss' "Wolf and the Dove" (great read) and Scully on Lindsey's "Prisoner of My Desire" (another classic great that hits all your points). Also, all the Kinley MacGregor (aka Sherylyn Kenyon) series (both "MacAllisters" and "Brotherhood of the Sword"). I listed those at the "Romance" forum on the "Medieval" recs. thread if you want the book orders.

Lastly, you don't mention Judith McNaught, but definitely read "A Kingdom of Dreams," her one medieval. I second that one from Scully's list. It's a classic keeper.
K.

EDITED to add: Read Hannah Howell if you don't mind heavy brogue dialogue. She has tons of the "themes" you enjoy in her "Highlanders" series, and great steam to her sex scenes. She's quite formulaic, but very comfortable when you want to "know what you're getting."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 2:10:43 PM PST
Kim says:
Try MIDNIGHT WARRIOR by Iris Johansen

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 8:57:23 PM PST
Donna Myers says:
Thank you all so much for your responses!

I will reply in Recommender order.

MelissaO

Kathleen Woodiwiss
The Wolf & The Dove - Have (love it!)
So Worthy My Love - Ordered

Baltimore0502

I have the full Madeleine Hunter series

Julia Templeton
The Bargain - Ordered (yummy cover!)
The Conquest - Ordered
Kieran The Black - Ordered in a 2-book deal including God of Fire by Jaid Black - sounds amazing!

Kinley McGregor - have full series

Agent Scully - thank you so much! Loads of good books!

The Vow by Juliana Garnett - Ordered
The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss - Have
The Magnificent Rogue by Iris Johansen (Elizabethan) - Ordered
My Lord Conqueror by Samantha James - Have
The Warlord by Elizabeth Elliott - Have
Shadows and Lace by Teresa Medeiros - Ordered
Lord of Vengeance by Tina St. John - Ordered
Maiden and the Monster by Michelle Pillow - Ordered
Master of Surrender by Karin Tabke - Ordered. Also ordered Master of Torment
The Devil's Lady and especially Maiden Bride by Deborah Simmons - Ordered both
The Maid of Lorne by Terri Brisbin - Ordered
The Prize, Gentle Warrior and Honor's Splendor by Julie Garwood - Ordered all except Honor's Splendor as I already have
Blackheart by Tamara Leigh - Ordered
Prisoner of My Desire, Defy Not the Heart and So Speaks the Heart by Johanna Lindsey - Ordered Defy Not The Heart - have the other two
Master of Desire by Kinley MacGregor - Have
The Bride Hunt by Margo Maguire - Ordered
A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught - Have

K. ODocharty

I have all Karen Marie Monings books - love them.

Hannah Howell - do you have a reading order for these? Are they all good?

Kim

Iris Johansen - Midnight Warrior - Ordered

Any more recommendations for Julia Templeton? Her books sound brilliant. Can't believe I've never heard of her before. Are all her books good? Also, Iris Johansen, any more recommendations? Never read any of her work before.

Thank you all so much for your recommendations. I've managed to get a lot of these off the Amazon.co.uk website for £0.01p each! (I'm from the UK).

More recommendations would be welcome. I go through books like you wouldn't believe!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008, 10:22:33 PM PST
KarenH says:
Donna, I like the same things you do in a medieval romance and have read most of the authors you have. My two favorites, however, are by authors you didn't list. Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn (hero kidnaps heroine and they fall in love) is a great book as well as Highlander Untamed (hero is forced to handfast with heroine from another clan) by Monica McCarty. The heroes in both books are as sexy as they come and the sex is as hot as they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 1:05:53 AM PST
K.O says:
KarenH: I love Highlanders (obviously). We are so spot on with our tastes, I'm ordering these two (if I can find P. Quinn. Seems like the last time I looked it was out of print). Haven't even checked out the McCarty read, so will check on that one also. Thanks from me too. :)
K.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 1:13:44 AM PST
K.O says:
Donna M.: Here's a thread to Howell's Highlander series books (in the order they run). I haven't read them all (there are so many), but the one that got me hooked to begin with was "Highland Bride." It reminded me a lot of Garwood's medieval books. My absolute favorite so far is "Highland Conquerer." I've read nine of the series and still have three sitting on my TBR, but always enjoy them as a "comfort guilty pleasure" read, as I know what I'm getting. Hope you enjoy them also.
K.

http://www.amazon.com/Hannah-nbsp-Howell-s-nbsp-Highland-nbsp-Series/lm/RTJVO17ZILS9T/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 1:15:25 AM PST
KarenH says:
K,
Oh goodie...it's been a long time since these two books have been discussed. I'm looking forward to you reading them.
K2. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 7:06:11 AM PST
Hey Donna!
My favorite theme and setting as well !!

More contributions to be added to your TBR pile:

Karen Ranney's Highland Lords series

Monica McCarty's "The MacLeods of Skye trilogy":

Highlander Untamed
Highlander Unmasked
Highlander Unchained

McCarty also had a new trilogy which will be released in Jan. Feb. and March of 09:
Highland Warrior
Highland Outlaw
Highland Scandal

Sue-Ellen Welfonder also has some very steamy Scottish Medievals

Check out the author's websites for more info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 8:11:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2008, 8:33:34 AM PST
Agent Scully says:
Wow Donna you've ordered a lot! Let us know what you think of the books when you read them, ok?

Iris Johansen has some other good ones - Wind Dancer (Renaissance Italy) and Lion's Bride. The Beloved Scoundrel is Regency but not light and fluffy by any means.

Julia Templeton is a bit hit-and-miss, with her later works definitely better than her early ones. I think these are her only medievals.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 9:15:35 AM PST
MelissaO says:
Agent Scully - I love Iris Johansen's historical romances! Good rec.

Did anyone read The Treasure yet? I heard it was getting mixed reviews...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 9:57:28 AM PST
Agent Scully says:
I haven't picked up The Treasure yet. I don't like paying hard cover prices. I'll see if I can borrow it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 10:09:41 AM PST
Hmm.......I'm of two minds on this recommendation because you said you don't like big epic stories as I'm not sure quite what you mean by that. But anyway, I highly recommend The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Its historical fiction, the hero is a highlander, <wink> the heroine is in distress to a certain extent, and there is sex, adventure, war, mistreatment, travel. Well, I can't list it all, but based on what you have said you like, these books are spot on! The first book starts out in the present, her present day, I should say, but you can kinda speed read, skip through that section and get to the good part. That section moves to slowly for me, but once she travels back through time the story is AWESOME! And it just flies along and you just can't put the book down. They really are amazing amazing books! Please give them a try, I don't think you'll be disapointed and I'd hate to see anyone miss out on this series. Just don't give up on the book because that first section moves slow, it is an awesome read after that and really that part fades away once you are into the series. Good luck and Good reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 10:58:29 AM PST
just me says:
Lord of the Dragon by Suzanne Robinson, is an amazing medieval book. "One of Lady Juliana Welles's legs is shorter than the other. This "devil's curse" was supposedly the reason that her betrothed, Edward Strange, rejected her. Renouncing all men, the bad-tempered Juliana plans to take vows of chastity and devote herself to the healing arts that her mother taught her. (Each chapter begins with a description of such remedies as sweet violets and houseleek.) Besides an herbalist, she is the "Stripping Bandit," the bane of her father's domain. Disguised as a boy, she takes her revenge against "strutting rooster knights" by making them take off their clothes. This is especially hard for Gray de Valence, the silver-haired knight has come to Wellesbrooke to revenge himself against Juliana's cousin, one of the knights who caused his exile from England and his subsequent enslavement. But he stays to joust it out with Juliana instead. When their battling gets tired he throws her over his saddle"

A Historical Fiction/Romance novel that also matches your description is Child of Awe by Kathryn Lynn Davis- The book kicks off with the second son of the Scottish Earl of Argyll (Campbell Clan) kidnapping heiress Muriella Calder and against both of their wills are forced to marry. John Campbell has little patience for his unwanted bride, who uses the "sight" to disagree with him, but with time and experience they learn to love each other. This is one of the best-written romantic novels I have ever read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008, 4:17:06 PM PST
J. Alexander says:
Hi Donna, It looks like you have a lot of rec's already, but since medievals are my favorites I have a few more to share with you, that I think have plenty of steam and great heroes/heroines.
Katherine Deauxville-Blood Red Roses, Daggers of Gold, The Amethyst Crown, The Crystal Heart and Eyes of Love. Loosely connected books starting about 10 years into the reign of William I continuing through Henry II. Very good stories and plenty of steam.
Penelope Williamson-Keeper of the Dream-set in Henry II's reign during the Wales conquest.
Jo Beverley -Dark Champion, Lord of My Heart and Lord of Midnight
Anne Stuart-Lord of Danger, Lady Fortune
Linda Howard-Son of the Morning (time travel from present day to 1300's)
I second Iris Johansen recommendations. I just reread "The Lion's Bride" in preparation for reading "The Treasure". I had forgotten how good her historicals were. I'm definitely pulling a few more out of the boxes for a reread!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008, 1:05:30 PM PST
Muskrat Love says:
IMO the best medieval ever is Grace Ingram's Red Adam's Lady (1973), but it's very hard to find. Some others that are A and B reads for me, listed roughly from best to least liked, are:

Enchanted (1994) #3 Elizabeth Lowell
Forbidden (1993) #2 Elizabeth Lowell
Untamed (1993) #1 Elizabeth Lowell
The Bride (1989) #1 Julie Garwood
The Wedding (2002) #2 Julie Garwood
The Holding (2001) Claudia Dain
Candle In The Window (1991) Christina Dodd
Taming the Wolf (1995) #1 deBurgh Deborah Simmons
Lady of the Knight (2004)      Jackie Ivie                    
Come Back to Me (2001) #3 Josie Litton
The Secret (1992) #1 Julie Garwood
His Wicked Ways (1999) Samantha James
His Forbidden Touch (1997) Shelly Thacker
Wicked (1999) Jill Barnett
Saving Grace (1993) Julie Garwood
Winterbourne (1998) Susan Carroll
Saxon Bride (1996) Tamara Leigh
The Last Knight (2000) Candice Proctor
Wicked Charms (2003) Jayel Wylie
She Who Laughs Last (2003) Jennie Klassel
The Templar's Seduction (2007) Mary Reed McCall
A Dove At Midnight (1993) Rexanne Becnel
The Truelove Bride (1999) Shana Abé
Virgin Bride (1994) Tamara Leigh
Lord of the Isles (2005) Amanda Scott
Hidden Honor (2004) Anne Stuart
A Knight To Remember (1997) Christina Dodd
The Beauty (2001) Claire Delacroix
The Marriage Bed (2001) Claudia Dain
A Restless Knight (2006) Dragons #1 Deborah MacGillivray
The Irish Devil (2000) Donna Fletcher
The Thief's Mistress (1996) Gayle Feyrer
Believe in Me (2001) Josie Litton
Dream of Me (2001) Josie Litton
My Beloved (1999) Karen Ranney
The Brat (2007) Lynsay Sands
The Perfect Seduction (2006) Margo Maguire
To Wed a Highlander (2008) Michele Sinclair
The Warrior (1995) Nicole Jordan
Silken Threads (1999) Patricia Ryan
The Sun & The Moon (2000) Patricia Ryan
The Angel Knight (1996) Susan King
The Stone Maiden #1 (2000) Susan King
White Lion's Lady (2001) Tina St. John
The Border Hostage (2001) Virginia Henley
A Falcon's Heart (2001) Jayel Wylie
Wild (1998) Jill Barnett
Bold Angel (1994) Kat Martin
Sinful Pleasures: The Templar Knights (2006) Mary Reed McCall
Lord Of Seduction (2006) Paula Quinn
A Tale Of Two Vikings (2004) Sandra Hill
The Sword Maiden #3 (2001) Susan King
Pagan Bride (1995) Tamara Leigh

Series books are indicated with the # above. Thanks to your request, I picked up some new suggestions also!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008, 7:28:38 AM PST
M. Ferrer says:
Well nothing better than a man in a kilt heavens know!
I have just discovered Jem Holling. I like her heroes and her heroines in general are ok. Also Veronica Wolff is not bad if you like time-travel.
I know Paula Quinn has a new book about highlanders, I was not able to read yet but she is quite a good writer. I guess the the rest of the best have been already suggested.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008, 5:35:17 PM PST
R. Thomas says:
Donna
A really intense but awesome read is Stormfire by Christine Monson. It's not medieval but it's historical and it's got the most alpha male hero and the most quick witted heroine you can imagine. It's got all the "mistreatment"...rape, beatings, imprisonment, etc... you like in a novel and the hero redeems himself in the end so it all turns out good. It's pricy, but the price has come down a lot. And, it's one of those books that you just can't let go of.
R.Thomas

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009, 9:34:38 PM PST
The Duchess says:
I'm so glad I ran across this thread! My wishlist has grown in the past 30 minutes. A special thanks to Muskrat! Someone already mentioned A Highlander Never Surrenders but I must piggyback, Grant was so sexy and sensual. You will love him. I have a few suggestions that are more sexual vs. forceful.

Lynsay Sands - Adds much humor to her plots but the sex scenes aren't bad. In The Deed, the heroine wanted to experience sex. In the Chase, the heroine was very enthusiastic. The Key is actually in the series but... Anyway, The Deed, The Key and The Chase

Christina Dodd - A knight to Remember

Julianna Garnett - The Vow

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009, 11:31:10 AM PST
Donna Myers says:
Wow! I go away for Christmas, have a couple of mad weeks at work and come back to loads of recommendations!

Thank you all so much. I'm adding them all to my to be bought pile, have to wait until pay day before I can afford some more!

Looks like this thread has helped other people as well which is great. I'm always reading other threads to get recommendations!

I've been reading through the ones I bought and have enjoyed them all so far, so thank you all for many hours of enjoyment.

Keep the recommendations coming if you can think of any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009, 11:46:23 AM PST
Shell says:
Shadows and Lace by Teresa Medieros. One of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009, 3:34:44 PM PST
Someone says:
Another author is Sandy Blair, her Man in a Kilt is a good one. It's a trilogy, the middle one is not that great, but the last is better. The first is definitely the best. Funny with a time travel spin to it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Romance forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers