Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > History forum

Ending Slavery Through War

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 631 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2014, 10:07:38 AM PST
TIM says:
12% of the POW in Northern prisons died. But Andersonville had a death rate of 29%.
The North took twice the prisoners yet more union POW died in Southern camps than southern POW died in Union camps.

And yes compared to the Armenian genocide and the other two it was small potatoes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014, 3:39:12 PM PST
BPL

Andersonville is a wash as far as atrocities go. Federal prison camps were actually worse because they were in the colder parts of the northern states.

The shootings were war crimes, but nothing compared to the three I cited. I would have certainly wanted to see some confederate heads roll for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014, 3:21:41 PM PST
MRA: The only saving grace the Confederates have is that they were not guilty of a Rape of Nanking, or a Bataan death march or an Armenian genocide.

BPL: Well, there was Andersonville. And the summary shooting of all captured black soldiers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 3:06:27 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Thank you so much, TIM. The feeling is quite mutual.

A merry and jolly Christmas and New Year season to you and your family as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 12:11:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2014, 12:13:02 PM PST
TIM says:
It has been a pleasure meeting you on this thread. Your well written comments show good sense, clarity and patience. I hope to run across more of your postings on other threads.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Merry (and stress free) Christmas season.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:57:49 AM PST
Mickey says:
When did I post a statement by a slaveholder saying his slaves loved him?

What about the statements of ex-slaves?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:54:11 AM PST
TIM says:
"and there's evidence for that which has been presented here."
If only that were true.
But quoting a slave owner's statement that his slaves loved him is not evidence. Especially against the real reliable evidence of 175 regiments composed of more than 178,000 Blacks who fought to end slavery.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:53:25 AM PST
Mickey says:
Do you really want to go here? Be careful what you wish for . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:45:43 AM PST
TIM says:
It is not possible the main cause of the war was the westward expansion of slavery and it is also not possible all conservatives and all liberals are more concerned with their agendas than truth.
American liberals and conservatives gain moral superiority, by condemning slavery, over those who do not condemn it.
Dismissing false statements is a necessary part of truth seeking. (Please don't ask me what I mean by "truth seeking".)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:43:28 AM PST
Mickey says:
It appears you're out of ammunition.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:40:28 AM PST
TIM says:
I can't reply to this until you tell me exactly what you think "being argumentative' means.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:40:05 AM PST
Mickey says:
You were the one who told me I argued against the slavery narrative. That's for you to explain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:37:46 AM PST
TIM says:
I can't answer your question unless I know exactly what you mean by "argued against".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:31:25 AM PST
Mickey says:
I'm not disagreeing slavery was the main cause of the war, but that's irrelevant to the modern day culture war.

Your statements all reflect black-and-white thinking, which is typical of amazon threads. Most people want history to be simple, but it's not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 11:26:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2014, 11:31:22 AM PST
TIM says:
You believe that slavery is wrong or you don't.
You believe slavery was the primary cause of the Civil War or you don't.
You believe the South initiated the Civil War or you don't.
You believe even with all the death and destruction the Civil War was necessary or you don't.
I know my answers and SK's answers but I'm not sure what your answers to these questions are.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:48:34 AM PST
Mickey says:
SK, I get the impression you're furious a brilliant NY intellectual like yourself cannot vanquish a dumb Southern redneck like myself. Is that correct? Is it my fault you cannot refute me?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:45:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2014, 10:49:11 AM PST
Mickey says:
Yes, I agree slavery was the main cause. Lincoln ran on a platform of not allowing slavery to expand west of Texas and Lincoln's election was the trigger for secession. So what? How does that negate what I said about the culture war between conservatives and liberals?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:38:10 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
MRA, I actually disagree with your second assertion.

It was the election of Lincoln and the ascendancy of the Republicans and their anti-slavery stance that caused the slave states to panic in fear of the future threat to their slave economy that triggered secession. Not simply the fact that the norther states did everything they could to make it difficult to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:35:00 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
MRA: I tried pointing this out already to Mickey and you have seen his replies to me. I finally, after all these years of our verbal battling, put him on ignore. It's been like trying to reason with a stubborn toddler.

Posted on Dec 19, 2014, 10:32:47 AM PST
Mickey

So you agree that slavery was the prime cause. The western expanse was only a part of the problem. That the north stopped enforcing the fugitive slave act was the trigger for secession .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:23:05 AM PST
Mickey says:
That's not saying the westward expansion of slavery wasn't the main cause of the war.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:19:44 AM PST
Mickey
Mark, I believe you are correct the Civil War has become a battleground in the present culture war between conservatives and liberals - both sides want to use the war as ammunition against each other. And I believe both sides are more concerned with their agendas than they are with historical truth.

Mickey

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:15:03 AM PST
Mickey says:
When did I say otherwise?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:10:39 AM PST
Mickey

Simple. Slavery was the only issue involved to a significant degree.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014, 10:07:11 AM PST
Mickey says:
Mark, I don't see the relevance of your post to my posts.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  631
Initial post:  Jun 25, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers