Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > History forum

Ancient and classic technologies -- which of them were the most beneficial to us today.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 1, 2012 8:24:35 AM PST
R. Largess says:
I think ironworking originated around 2000 BC - maybe on the plains of Central Asia?

Initial post: Feb 1, 2012 6:48:45 AM PST
Jerrie Brock says:
Hopefully something that may not be able to get side tracked. It is one of my favorite parts of history, how things were made and built, and how they evolved into thing familiar to us today. I know that the Romans had developed a screw technology used to raise water from deep pits to allow for mining.

Does anyone know where the first instances of working in iron occurred, where the ore was mined and how? It is a little interesting that Weyland was the smith of the early Saxons but the name apparently was orginally Voldor, close to Vulcan the Roman god of iron working. Strange the name should have been so close.

I do know that that we still cling to the ancient god in using the term Vulccanizing to mean an extreme heating process (mostly in rubber, though). Its interesting how even the old passes along to common usage today.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer