Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports
Customer Discussions > History forum

Hitler's mistakes

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3076-3100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 1:19:59 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>I speak fluent Russian, but DON't understand Bulgarian. AT ALL.<<

You know there's something else I wasn't thinking of. I was not only a Russian Linguist in the Army, I was a Transcriber. Meaning, I had the ability to listen to what I heard and write it down precisely as it had been spoken. Not gisting, or paraphrasing, exact reconstruction.
What that skill does, is it teaches you how to deconstruct what you hear. Separate roots from endings, for instance. Or, figure out what must have been said, whether you hear it or not. Garbled prepositions in Russian is a good example. We were taught, "Russians don't speak incorrectly, you HEAR incorrectly!" That's not precisely true, but we lived by that rule. If I submitted a transcript that had a grammatically incorrect sentence, it was sent back with a nasty note.
After I became a Russian Transcriber, my fluency in German tripled! It became a lot easier for me to hear exactly what was said, in any language.
So, in the language game, I'm kind of a 'ringer' because of my training. And I suppose I underestimate its effect.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 1:43:50 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>The question is can this experiments be used as bona fide experiments given that the Nazis made them with nefarious goals. There is a lot of disquiet about this and we truly do not know if they have been re-used or not.<<
I can tell you that on the issue of Chemical Weapon experiments, the US Army secretly 'loves' that the Germans did this.
In the Army a VERY BIG deal is recognizing the symptoms of exposure. That is all known solely, from the Nazi experiments. A Chimp's symptoms would be close, but not exact.
I said that in the Army we were never allowed to see the Nazi films. But at the Chemical Warfare School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, I think they do see them. Sometimes the Army wants to get it in your head just how much you should avoid something. Films are good for that.
In Basic you see pretty gruesome films about VD too. But it didn't change many of our minds about the women who hang out near Army bases, when we got our first weekend Pass.<g>

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 1:52:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 2:09:32 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>Ironic, isnt it, that people thinking for themselves poses a threat to ceratain organizaions. Bravo to the young American Jews. <<

You want to hear something worse? Second generation Cuban Americans in Miami don't hate the Castros!! It's causing the first generation to pull their hair out, and threaten disinheritance.<g>
This came up when the Manager of Miami's baseball team made some remark that he respected Fidel. "Oh, my God! What will this do to ticket sales?", the owner of the team worried.
Nothing. The manager didn't even get booed. Now, he apologized aplenty on local TV and newspapers. Pledged to meet with Castro survivors, to become better informed....etc...etc. (He has a good agent, in other words)
The generation going to baseball games doesn't feel strongly on the issue at all. They've been lectured, since they were babies, on the evils of Communism and Fidel...but, like most people born in 'this' country, they care a lot more about the price of gas, and whether the Marlins have a good relief pitcher. And, where can you still get a good, authentic, Cuban sandwich in Miami. Young'uns, what are you going to do?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 2:29:33 PM PDT
Jeedgr says:
Greg, its discussed in the many footnotes of the book "Polio:An American Experience" on other virus related problems. Here is another about the development and testing of a malaria vaccine in Africa; they say it is about 50% effective but along with sleeping nets malaria can be reduced more. Take it from an old Sanitary Engineer-Epidemiologist type; why not go after the mosquitoes themselves? It was the latter that cut out malaria in the U.S. was it not? It was and still is an old Public Health Maxim, that if your bitten by a mosquito there is a puddle of water within 100 feet of you where they are breeding, so keep these placed drained and a little motor oil floating across garden pond does wonders. Which raises the questtion; Why did Noah allow mosqitoes onto his ark in the first place?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 2:42:45 PM PDT
Lana: That is a puzzle and shock to me,you see what they post on a site about the President. I was going to post that the only time I ever
saw anything deleted by Amazon there may have been something negative about Amazon. This is only forum I now follow full time and don't post
very often,have never seen anybody currently that ever said anything that would be deleted.
We will see if this one gets deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:19:43 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>why not go after the mosquitoes themselves? It was the latter that cut out malaria in the U.S. was it not? <<

During the DDT era, right? Like bed bugs, they may return. But maybe I'm ignorant, I can't imagine the CDC stands idly by in the case of mosquitoes. Too dangerous.

>>so keep these placed drained and a little motor oil floating across garden pond does wonders. <<

Boy, are you being politically incorrect today! Motor oil on ground water, in this day and age? I'm calling the Sierra Club hotline.<g> Next you'll want to reduce Mideast oil imports, by killing whales, and burning Whale Oil.

>>Why did Noah allow mosqitoes onto his ark in the first place?<<

They hitchhiked on the Unicorns. Everyone knows that!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:35:09 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Greg, The Atlantic makes sense, but the Pacific is so large that I would suspect that a large force was assigned to it. Ask lana, Her dad was a Soviet sub captain..vesp

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:39:55 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Greg, A good golfing buddy of mine is a retired Navy Captain in naval Intelligence. He was a native Spanish speaker.He only tells me that he translates mostly Cuban stuff. Ive said< "Carlos, there 30 million people in this counrty that speak Spanish but theyre not all navy Captains with a PhD in the sciences. You must have done more" he responds by saying that he'd have to kill me if he told me. I asked him if he was one of those guys who tried to get an exploding cigar to Fidal--he wont talk..vesp

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:43:53 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Greg, Im glad when people think for themselves. Usually ,parents thinking is dated. I recall being in Havana as a boy in 1956. I thought I was in heaven. I was a budding teenager and always hungry. Cuban sandwiches ,sold from street vendors, were only 5 and 10 cents. Heaven vesp

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:50:49 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Jjedgr, Ive done a lot of reading on Henry VIII and listened to a couple of lectures this afternoon on the French revolution. Thet had the same problem --no money. An easy answer comes to mind (thanx Henry) Tax the Church and Charities. Tax charities the same amount as their administrative costs. A Its really not prohibited per se in the Constitution, but an amendment would take care of that. When Henry did it, the Church held about 1/3 the wealth in England. Necker, the finance minister under Loius XVI also wanted to tax the aristocracy that was exempt. We dont have a heridity aristocracy, but we sure as heck have a financial aristocracy. This country passes wealth from one generation to another to a greated extent than any liberal democracy. Something to think about..vesp

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:52:23 PM PDT
vespasian says:
jeedgr, A friend of mine sends me JHU information on Cancer. Some interesting and good info..vesp

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 3:54:30 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Mal aria= Bad air in Italian. Boy, were they off. vesp

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:07:42 PM PDT
Bubba says:
Acetaminophen is also believed to potentiate certain opiates, it is supposed to make them more effective than the effects of just the opiate and the acetaminophen -- the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I take tramadol for fibromyalgia pain and my rheumatologist told me to take it with acetaminophen to potentiate its effects. I can't say whether tramadol works better when taken with acetaminophen or not, it doesn't work very well either way and sometimes it doesn't help at all. Unfortunately, tramadol is the only of the dozen or so drugs my rheumatologist had me try that works at all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:24:35 PM PDT
Bubba says:
From what I was told, at least up through the 70s, almost all of what was known of the effects of severe cold on the human body came from Nazi experiments on prisoners. A lot of the knowledge of the effects of certain types of chemical weapons came from Japanese experimentation in China. I think that it was only the Nazis that did experimentation with nerve agents, though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:26:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 10, 2013 3:11:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:45:55 PM PDT
Jeedgr says:
Greg, You'd probably be the 2nd thousand person to report me to the Sierra Club over the past 50 or so years. I can imagine the CDC standing idly by; look what they failed to do when the mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus was first detected in the Jamacia Bay marshes around Kennedy Airport. Yep, they failed to agree to get out the spray trucks and a little motor oil quickly before the larvae got spread out to the populated areas, then picked up by birds who took them all the way to Texas and warmer weather, and, here is another one for your conspiricy story on insect transmitted dieseases, the CDC claimed for years that no one could tell if a sick person was infected with the West Nile or not. Also, I recommend that you stock up on Sevin as a yard insecticide, and for that you can report me to Friends of the Earth!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:05:36 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>Would a vaccine work for aids? <<

Most people think so, if the virus can be isolated, which I don't think it has been. Maybe it has, I'm not sure.

But the big obstacle for Big Pharma, is would such a thing be accepted? Look at the controversy with the vaccine against the Human Papilloma Virus, that will stop like 90% of Cervical Cancer. Especially in the South, a lot of people like the idea that promiscuity has true downsides, like pregnancy, VD, and Cervical Cancer.
A vaccine that seemingly encourages the 'Gay Lifestyle', I think would be a political hot potato, that the Johnson&Johnsons and Mercks of the world, want,no part of.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:12:21 PM PDT
Jeedgr says:
Rachel, I'm about to stir up a hornets nest I'm sure, but today was a lunch day with a good friend of mine (also JHU grad my departments) who did some time with the Publlc Health Service. We were talking about my past week's Read "Polio an American Experience". He suggested I read Phillip Roth's "Nemesis", and it is a wonderful short read from many many aspects. If this sinks the Titanic again with you and your husband on it, I am obviously the Iceberg!! Enjoy, JEE

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:20:10 PM PDT
Jeedgr says:
Greg, here's the Politics not unlike Roosevelt's private NIPF and their methods. There is big money now going back into Wistar for an AIDS preventive virus and their human test areas are Africa. The Political thing to claim for them is that Sabin tested there too so it might be due to the CHimps!!! The money by the way is Bill Gates, plus, plus, plus. All those really rich ones except the ones who invest millions in building Americas Cup boats.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:24:03 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>Greg, The Atlantic makes sense, but the Pacific is so large that I would suspect that a large force was assigned to it. <<

It depends on how you think. I would think that their doctrine would really focus on deployment and supply to the European theater by the US. Much like the Germans did in WWII.
I don't think the Soviets ever felt they had a lot at stake in Asia. From a US/NATO perspective anyway. They didn't have many defense pacts in Asia. Especially after the Chinese turned a cold shoulder to them. Europe is an entirely different matter. It would be interesting to know what they thought the threat was, and what they saw as the counter.
One thing I do recall, is they fretted a lot about the Black Sea Fleet being bottled up and unable to get out of the Mediterranean. Especially after both Turkey and Greece were in NATO. How do you keep the Straights of Bosporus open for the Soviet Navy? They worried a lot about that.
And I knew guys in the Navy at Medera Spain. Apparently, we thought just as much about the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:55:13 PM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
>>Greg, A good golfing buddy of mine is a retired Navy Captain in naval Intelligence. He was a native Spanish speaker.He only tells me that he translates mostly Cuban stuff. <<

A funny part of the Spanish dilemma, is at the Language School, the Spanish instructors insist on Castillian Spanish, because they're from Spain. But the Spanish of Cuba, and Central America, is an entirely different animal. Mexican Americans have a hard, but not unreasonable time with it. Puerto Ricans have an easier time, because they're right next door to Cuba. The issue is, the speed of speech is accelerated on the islands and in Central America. White and Black Americans that go to Spanish language school, are behind the power curve from day one.
What's funny also is that there are so many Hispanic Americans in the Intel units targeted against Latin American targets, that they conduct their entire formations in Spanish. One White guy told me he learned more Spanish at his unit in San Antonio, than he ever learned in Monterey.
I still deal with this part of the world, where the Intel units are busy as ever. Same as 30 years ago. Everything is in Spanish, and the Black and White soldiers have this constant look of playing 'catch-up'. I met one girl whose parents happen to be from Costa Rica. You know, the next door neighbor to Columbia? My Lord!! She's a transcriber, and the civilians are falling all over her with praise. She understands all sorts of idioms, and never spent a day in language school. She was like a admin clerk or something in the Army, and got 'discovered'. It's funny to see these senior civilian guys rush over and ask this E-5 what she thinks about this or that. It doesn't hurt that she's also beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:33:25 PM PDT
Leslie Funk says:
Hi James..In regards to staying on topic, many of us have encountered each other on other topics, and, become friends with each other. Please bear with us as we stray from time to time. The conversations that evolve from the main topic are part of whom we have become. Please feel free to join us and input your opinions as you feel as warrented.

Cheers, Les

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:41:50 PM PDT
Leslie Funk says:
Thank you Rachel... At my age, I still feel weird to describe myself as an orphan. On the upside, I am delving into my family history that my father started in 1970.. There is a lot that I do not know about my families history, which heralds as far back as 1280. I believe I am now on a quest!

Thanks again for your kind thoughts...Cheers, Les

By the way, my sons and I are meeting up with John lane in Montana this summer. He will conduct us on a tour of Custer's Battlefield, and all three of us cannot wait!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:43:56 PM PDT
Leslie Funk says:
Thanks vesp...Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated! I also would like to thank Lana for her condolences...Cheers, Les

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:51:46 PM PDT
Leslie Funk says:
Thanks Warren...I appreciate the kind thoughts, and I look forward to the many wonderful memories of my childhood which give me great peace. Thank you...Cheers, Les
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  166
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions