Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

The Horror Thread for Horror Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 12:26:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 12:26:36 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Edward Lee and Wrath James White write some extreme horror - strong nerves and strong stomachs needed.

Personal recommendations:
Edward Lee: Flesh Gothic
James Wrath White: The Resurrectionist

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:28:02 PM PST
I've had Lee on my TBR for a while now, but I've never heard of this White guy.
Thanks, Nick!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 12:31:10 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
They ARE pretty hardcore books, so don't say you weren't warned. ;)

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:44:05 PM PST
Warning taken, Nick!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 5:17:04 AM PST
MontclairMD says:
I agree with Robert. What's the deal with Zombies? I prefer horror that feels more real, like Hungry Moon. What's scarier than facing a hungry Grizzly?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 8:59:02 AM PST
This is an excellent discussion site! I've listed 10 books I'm looking into just by reading everyones notes. Zombies and vampires are out!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:47:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 9:56:00 AM PST
Leah says:
LOL loving the thinly-concealed adverts. If they're humorous why not? Anyway besides those mentioned I found Ryan Callaway's two novels to be very good horror novels (a girlfriend turned me onto Lights Out first). Pretty original stories and solid writing. I will have to check out this "Seed" as well. Not sure I can handle the heart-wrenching parts of it but will give it a shot.

Lights Out
The Yearly Harvest

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:51:19 AM PST
Hmm. Which should I read next? Ghost Road Blues by Maberry, or Off Season by Ketchum?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:52:52 AM PST
Craig Clarke says:
Off Season, definitely. Ketchum is fantastic. Also check out Randy Chandler.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:03:42 AM PST
I don't know Clay, but I vote for Ghost Road Blues! (that whole trilogy ROCKS)

Of course, I haven't read any Ketchum yet, so don't mind me!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 10:04:18 AM PST
Suzanne, nice to 'meet' you!
Got any recommendations for us? *wink*

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:19:54 AM PST
I've only read The Lost by Ketchum, and was not really impressed. But, I don't really feel like it was horror.

Been on a Laymon kick: Island, In the Dark, then After Midnight. All three were great.

I had previously read Come out Tonight and Night in the Lonesome October and kind of dismissed him, although NITLO was good. I think my tastes have changed somewhat. And while I'm in full time studies, I kind of prefer those quick reads.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:54:41 AM PST
Olly Crook says:
I've been looking for a while for collections of Victorian ghost stories in Kindle format, but without much success. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

So far, I've found this, which looks quite interesting: Victorian Frightenings: Volume Two (Horror Anthology Vol II)

I've read read many of the the short stories from this book previously (on normal paper-based books), and enjoyed them, and would like to find more of the same.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 1:37:14 PM PST
Olly, Here's some, many for free.
Nineteen Ghost Stories of M. R. James to Keep You Up At Night The Complete Three Volume Collection
The Best Ghost Stories
The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 1:42:41 PM PST
Olly Crook says:
Thanks Charlene!

I'll have a look at your suggestions.

Olly

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 11:54:41 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Salem 1692: What Devil's Made Them Do It?; nonfiction, free atm.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:01:44 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
Four books from Scott Nicholson, free for two days, including his award-winning short story The Vampire Shortstop:

http://hauntedcomputer.blogspot.com/2012/01/free-scott-nicholson-kindle-books-for.html?spref=fb

Send me that check whenever you have a chance, Scott. ;)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 9:25:45 AM PST
mark says:
I'm a big fan of Laymon myself but haven't read any in a long while. Think that's what I'll read next. Trying very hard not to self promote a book that's free at the minute. Think I'll head over to the right place in the meet our authors forum to do it.
Thanks
Mark R Faulkner

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 1:11:40 PM PST
brandiwine says:
Ohh, good post. Y'all have definitely convinced me to buy Seed. Sounds like many of you enjoyed it. Some other books on here sound good too, I had to check em out. I found a new horror series the other day while browsing around, it wasn't free, but they had me anyway with .99 LOL. The first one is called Marinade, I think the series is called The wishing well series by Rebecca Ratliff. It was pretty good. That's my two cents if anyone is lookiing for a series :) My sister loves werewolf books, anyone know of any good series out? We're big on series' if you haven't guessed :P

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 9:39:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 9:57:37 PM PST
A couple of good werewolf books I've read on Kindle recently are
Beneath a Winter Moon a great violent werewolf novel
The Forsaken Boy, a werewolf novel another great werewolf book with a high body count.

A great vampire horror book:
DRACULAS (A Novel of Terror) a colaboration between Jeff Strand, F. Paul Wilson, Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch

Also I've recently downloaded and old favorite on Kindle:
Usher's Passing

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 10:43:35 PM PST
Usher's Passing is one great novel. I held off reading it because the premise sounded kind of lame, but after reading it, it could be one of my top five reads ever...definitely top ten.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 1:59:58 AM PST
Ali3 says:
If you like zombie reads, I really enjoyed 20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse by Lee Emerick

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 2:00:26 AM PST
Ali3 says:
If you like zombie reads, I really enjoyed 20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse by Lee Emerick

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 7:51:34 AM PST
Nice Chocoholic, gotta love Robert McCammon.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 3:55:08 PM PST
Randy McKown says:
I'll refrain from plugging my own book LOL ... Lately I've been going back and reading the classics again. Right now I'm reading through Dracula .. for the millionth time :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
193 Apr 22, 2015
The Lounge 8136 1 day ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 3598 1 day ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1936 3 days ago
Horror Tag Game 328 11 days ago
What have you watched recently? 3055 15 days ago
Night Gallery-The Doll 24 22 days ago
Authors like Algernon Blackwood, Le Fanu, and M.R. James 10 23 days ago
What's the name of that book? 1 26 days ago
Ghost stories! 7 26 days ago
Werewolf books 149 26 days ago
WHAT is the scariest book/story you ever read? 202 Jul 23, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  158
Total posts:  2495
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions