Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

The Horror Thread for Horror Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1326-1350 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:13:23 AM PST
Nice!
I'm glad to hear that you are well. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:40:29 AM PST
Dingfelder says:
Yeah turning up your earphones while vacuuming is pretty much the recipe for hearing loss.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:41:24 AM PST
Dingfelder says:
Charlene, I borrowed The Hoard at mid-evening yesterday and already finished it! Great read! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:58:27 PM PST
It was SO hard to put down! I am very glad that you liked it! : )

Did it make you itchy? : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:44:08 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
It was all I could do not to make itchy jokes and puns in my review! I was just itching to do it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:08:36 PM PST
HA! I just KNEW you would like it! I couldn't help but get sort of squirmy while I was reading, myself.

I liked your review. : )

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:25:40 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Has anyone read Ryker's Pulling Teeth? Is it good? Since I'm big on collections and anthologies, I figured I would start there. I'd also like to hear if anyone has read any of the Penny Dreadnought: Omnibus! Volume 1 series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:31:00 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
Thanks! Much as I liked his vampire novellas, I think Ryker really stepped up his game in a big way with The Hoard. Not that it's a complex tale or amazingly deep or anything, but it's a really smooth read. I slipped into and out of it very easily because there were no bumps in the road to slow me down. Just perfect in that respect, combined with overall being fun and often quite visual. I could easily see this becoming a movie or part of an anthology show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:02:00 PM PST
I've read all the Penny Dreadnoughts and they were all really good. I think I reviewed each issue, if you want to check them out. They were how I got turned on to Ryker and to James Everington, whose collection The Other Room I really enjoyed.
Ryker's vampire series rocks, but I have not read Pulling Teeth. Which is also the name of his blog. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:08:18 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
Ah, I didn't know he had one. Is it an active and/or interesting one, or just one of those slap it up there and never write anything in it blogs?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:16:38 PM PST
He's not posting all the time or anything but when he does it's usually about things he's working on and new releases. He's kind of funny too.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:23:18 AM PST
JD says:
Definitely worth looking at the Penny Dreadnoughts, apart from the brilliant title!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:51:36 PM PST
Walt Morton says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:26:35 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
Read the first story of Brian Hodge's "Picking the Bones." Wow! It's kinda all over the place, but the guy can really write, wherever he turns his story to at the time. Quite a few lines had a down to earth poetry in them. I'm really tempted to buy the collection, but will see if I can sample one or two more from his other collections to see if it was just a fluke.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:54:40 AM PST
I think I've read one novella from Hodges. Without Purpose, Without Pity (Delirium Novella Series)

I really liked it. I can tell because I still remember it and I read it about a year ago, I think. It was unique and interesting.

Marc, please report back after you sample another story or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:20:11 AM PST
Dingfelder says:
Will do! May be busy today with first house chores and then watching tonight's The Walking Dead, Talking Dead, and Comic Book Men, maybe twice if they're good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:48:19 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
Marc, if you can find out the TOC, check it against his other collections; I believe "Picking" is all reprints (I could be wrong). Or you could ask him on his Facebook page, if you have an account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:59:36 AM PST
Dingfelder says:
Good to know, Nick. Thanks. I'll see what I find.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:24:33 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
His crime novels, Wild Horses and Mad Dogs, are also worth reading; in fact (IMO), Mad Dogs was one of two great novels I read in 2010 (the other being Rupert Thomson's The Book of Revelation: A Novel, which is mainstream, but Thomson's mainstream is like no one else's, skewing to his own eccentric sense of narrative. He's the only author I consider having written 3 5-star novels.)
2009 was The Terror; no candidate for 2011; Scott Nicholson's As I Die Lying (now going by Kiss Me or Die, a title I dislike, and I told him so) for 2012.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:47:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 3, 2012 2:01:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:52:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 5:12:27 AM PST
I didn't even know Brian Hodge wrote crime novels!

If anyone is interested in reading Without Purpose, Without Pity, please let me know. It is lend-able.
Here is a link to my review, if anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.com/review/RHB42FXEAD0IX/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007QLX832&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=133140011&store=digital-text

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:49:33 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Charlene,
Just Hodge, no s.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:17:38 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
Charlene, have you ever read any Ludmilla Petrushevskaya? She has a book of short stories out called "There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby." The sample isn't quite enough to finish off the first story, but boy did it get me curious. Pricey book though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 5:12:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 5:12:54 AM PST
Oops, sorry! : )

Marc, no, I have never heard of her. I do love short stories though. Which is why I have like 45 collections yet to read. : )
That story sounds pretty interesting though, nice title!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:39:51 AM PST
Glad too see Kealan Patrick Burke getting a look in here. He's a darned fine author.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
193 Apr 22, 2015
The Lounge 8135 8 hours ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1933 11 hours ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 3574 1 day ago
Horror Tag Game 328 7 days ago
What have you watched recently? 3055 12 days ago
Night Gallery-The Doll 24 19 days ago
Authors like Algernon Blackwood, Le Fanu, and M.R. James 10 19 days ago
What's the name of that book? 1 22 days ago
Ghost stories! 7 22 days ago
Werewolf books 149 23 days ago
WHAT is the scariest book/story you ever read? 202 Jul 23, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  158
Total posts:  2495
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions