Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Horror Hall of Fame

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 29, 2012, 5:48:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012, 5:54:31 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
I had to go deeper and use slightly more obscure nominee's as alot of the great one's have already spoken for.
how about...
Basil Gogos, the painter for many of F.J. Ackerman's "Famous Monsters" covers.A lot of gifted artist's worked on Creepy, Eerie & Vampirella in the 70's/80's.
I think Polanski is a very good choice.He also directed a creepy one called The Tenant.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012, 6:47:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012, 7:00:53 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Compiling the list so far, I think we have 79!! I just added the last six, but may have exhausted my mental archives. I'll clean up the list tomorrow, maybe alphabetize and see if we get any more additions, maybe hit 100! Man I love making lists. I also need to go wiki a couple more. Baron has stumped me with Luana Anders and Herc Harvey (although Herc Harvey sounds very familiar...)

Boris Karloff
Edgar Allan Poe
Stephen King
Rod Serling
Lon Chaney, Sr.
Bela Lugosi
Vincent Price
Richard Matheson
H.P. Lovecraft
James Whale
Peter Straub
George Romero
Graham Masterton
Christopher Lee
Peter Cushing
John Carpenter
Lon Chaney Jr.
Todd Browning
Rick Baker
Tom Savini
Dario Argento
shirley jackson
algernon blackwood
charles addams
edward gorey
mary shelley
Richard Laymon
Lucio Fulci
Clive Barker
Robert Bloch
Bram Stoker
Daphne Du Maurier
Val Lewton
Roger Corman
William Castle
Karen Black
Gahan Wilson
Forest J. Ackerman
Dean Koontz
Charles L Grant
Robert Englund
Arthur Machen
Anne Rice
Al Feldstein
Margaret Hamilton
Dwight Frye
Peter Lorre
Mario Bava
Hazel Court
Michael Ripper
Bette Davis
Basil Rathbone
Dan Curtis
Paul Naschy
Reggie Nalder
Maria Ouspenskaya
Max Schreck
F.W. Murnau
Barbara Steele
Luana Anders
Herk Harvey
Joan Crawford
Jamie Lee Curtis
Adrienne Barbeau
E.G. Marshall
Sam Raimi
Alfred Hitchcock
Dee Wallace
Elsa Lanchester
Tobe Hooper
John Saul
Roman Polanski
Basil Gogos
Wes Craven
Stuart Gordon
Jacques Tourneur
Terence Fisher
David Cronenberg
Ramsey Campbell

Posted on Apr 29, 2012, 7:02:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012, 9:50:24 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Ah! Herk Harvey, director of Carnival of Souls! I love that film, no wonder the name rang a bell. I didn't know that was his only film. I wonder why he didn't make more.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012, 7:03:03 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
The cast of the Dark Shadows soap opera, Jonathan Frid if no one else

Posted on Apr 29, 2012, 8:43:02 PM PDT
recluse says:
Charles Laughton, for Night of the Hunter

Posted on Apr 29, 2012, 9:49:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012, 9:49:37 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
I was channel surfing today and Night of the Hunter was on. What a great film. A huge shame it was Laughton's only chance to direct. He also acted along with Karloff in James Whale's The Old Dark House.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012, 9:56:31 PM PDT
recluse says:
Another fun film.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 4:34:46 AM PDT
Luana Anders was in some b-movies movies such as "Dementia 13", "The Pit and the Pendulum" with Vincent Price, "Night Tide" with Dennis Hopper. I wish she had done more horror; she also did some TV work and some film writing.

She's not as worthy as Hazel Court, maybe she's not hall of fame material-- but she popped into my head when I was considering ladies of horror.

Her photo:

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/p/9/p9erog7l02w1l72r.jpg

Oh, Mia Farrow was in three horror movies (Rosemary's Baby, See No Evil, The Haunting of Julia). Plus that remake of "The Omen". Should we add her?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 5:15:35 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
I only humbly submit these as possible nominee consideration's

The Addams Family - more for the original cartoon's in The New Yorker even though the other media helped make them a household name
The Weirdo's - monsters driving hot rods
Klaus Kinski
Alice Cooper
S. Clay Wilson
Elvira
Ingrid Pitt
Frank Henelotter
William Burroughs
John Carradine
Claude Rains
Herbert Lom
Tor Johnson
Philip Jose Farmer

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 6:47:43 AM PDT
dianon says:
honorable mention-the shark "jaws"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 7:41:36 AM PDT
Nick Jones says:
Nicknamed "Bruce".

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 8:05:52 AM PDT
MattT says:
Directors-

Herschel Gordon Lewis
Bob Clark
Don Coscarelli
Pete Walker
Joe Dante
William Girdler
Larry Cohen
William Lustig(Not just for his films Maniac, and Maniac Cop, but also for founding Blue Underground)
Freddie Francis
Jean Rollin

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 9:36:30 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Another good list 7&7 IS. I was looking at Klaus Kinski, Elvira, and John Carradine and could see them added. Henelotter and Ingrid Pitt I also like.

Alice Cooper is a very interesting choice, thinking outside the box on that one. Along the same lines, Rob Zombie popped into mind. He formed White Zombie in 1985, so he's got suitable longevity in the genre and wouldn't rely on his more recent film career to get a possible nomination.

Philips Jose Farmer is a new name to me. I see he's received numerous accolades for his sci-fi & fantasy work. Which of his horror themed works would you recommend for a first read?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 9:49:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012, 9:50:17 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
MattT - to the best of my knowledge, I have never seen a film directed by Pete Walker, William Girdler, Freddie Francis, or Jean Rollin. Which ones should I look for?

I see Coscarelli's latest is an adaptation of John Dies at the End by David Wong. I've been looking to read that novel for some time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 9:51:01 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
The Image Of The Beast. It was also made into a single issue underground comic.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 10:11:03 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
If we add everyone nominated to date, I think we get 104. My thoughts were to stop at 100, make a master list, and then invite passer-bys to come on in and vote, say for up to 3 different nominees per day. All positive votes, no negatives, with those reaching an agreed upon level, say 30 - 50 moving on to our Hall of Fame. First 10 would be the inaugural class, subsequent groups of 10 forming each next class or honorary tier.

As you vote for someone you think highly of, but who may be lagging behind in votes, please give some reasons why your choice should be considered since with a list of this magnitude, not everyone is going to be familiar with everyone on the list. Personally, I'm looking to learn more about those I am not familiar with and probably even learn a thing or two about those I think I am familiar with.

We can either do the copy and paste thing like the Movie Forum, Classic Rock Forum, and others do in their "game" threads, or you can just note your 3 votes each day and then I will come in and update the master list whenever I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 10:53:20 AM PDT
MattT says:
Walker- House Of Long Shadows(John Carradine, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price all in one film), Schizo.

William Girdler- Day Of The Animals, The Manitou

Freddie Francis- Girly, The Doctor And The Devils

Rollin- The Grapes Of Death, Fascination, The Iron Rose, The Living Dead Girl

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 11:26:07 AM PDT
Derdnik says:
7 & 7 IS says:

Basil Rathbone

I almost went with him as well. What a great voice! I skipped him mainly because his body of work was mostly outside the horror genre.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 11:31:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012, 12:19:20 PM PDT
Derdnik says:
I havent seen her and cant believe that she has not been mentioned:

Maila Nurmi aka Vampira

I would have to put her in the first round. She brought horror into the average home before all others and was the inspiration for many hosts to come in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:05:58 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
IIRC, Francis also did a lot of the cinematography for Hammer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:08:15 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
Laughton was also the second to play the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:08:19 PM PDT
MattT says:
Good call! Yes he did.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 1:19:46 PM PDT
recluse says:
Rondo Hatton

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:44:41 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Thanks MattT - I've definitely got to check out House of Long Shadows.

As a big Graham Masterton fan, I finally broke down recently and rented The Manitou. Besides a fairly charismatic performance by Tony Curtis, the film didn't do much for me. Special effects didn't much exist back then at the budget they must have had and over all, Girdler's direction didn't elevate the film as far as I was concerned. Of course if I saw it back in the day without the comparison to modern films, I probably would have appreciated it more.

I've heard of The Living Dead Girl, and The Grapes of Death is a cool title, so I will look for those.

Francis has a numer of things I'd like to check out in addition to the two you mention. I see he did a number of pictures with Hammer and Amicus in the '60's.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:55:26 PM PDT
MattT says:
The Manitou I probably like for nostalgia as I have fond memories of seeing it as a kid at the drive-in.

Rollins gets a lot of hate, and some of his film aren't the best, but he's great at creating atmosphere- both Grapes and Iron Rose are good examples of this.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  1150
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers