Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

So how does one exactly craft a truly humorous book?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Nov 25, 2012 6:21:36 AM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-108 of 108 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 11:47:23 AM PDT
This example provides a good model of humor writing. The "foil" (another character) is an essential element, in my opinion. Well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 11:14:26 PM PDT
If you laugh out loud while writing then you've probably got a good start. Then, even if it's crap, at the very least you've made one person very happy.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 10:54:31 AM PDT
A. G. F. you says:
Real life can provide all the input you need to craft a humorous book. I took a day in my life, ok part of a day, and crafted the book Can I Poop in Peace?. My children were the inspiration. You then take you input and use your preferred writing style. Bit of self-promotion, yes. All truth, yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:20:34 PM PDT
You can't self-promote in this discussion thread.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 6:47:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 21, 2012 6:55:04 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:20:27 PM PDT
Thorwald says:
The One-Minute Zillionaire: Achieve Wealth, Fame, and Success in an Instant Give or Take a Hundred Years
It's important to find someone to bounce ideas off of. Writer's groups are good, but you need to find one you enjoy. Some people praise anything you write, and it's great for the ego but not for your writing. I have a couple of friends who will tell me honestly what they think, and when they laugh and say it's okay, it's OKAY.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:10:49 AM PDT
For me, a humorous book must have a message to it. I read chicklit novels which I find humorous. But... I also don't like airheads character trying to be funny as in the case in some of this type of novels. There are a couple of book which I find humorous. One written by Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic). I love shopping so I can relate to the main character. The second, written by Romina Wilcox (The P.I.G. Mantras). I am a working woman, so I can relate to her character. Lately, I find it difficult to find such books as crafty as these authors.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:06:15 AM PST
Daren Doucet says:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Daren+Doucet
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (266 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Jan 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions