Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 179 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 1:04:36 PM PDT

I never thought of a connection between Runaway and Like a Hurricane. i'll have to give it another listen. I loved the tv show based in 1950's Vegas that used Runaway as its theme.

Once I heard Triste Cancion and knew that it had preceded Like A Hurricane I made that connection. It has been recorded several times with sax solos, guitar solos and stunning violin solos. It is right on the money with Hurricane whereas Runaway is a paced at a faster tempo.

I used to really dig "Hats Off to Larry", "Little Town Flirt" and "Keep Searchin (We'll Follow the Sun)". Hell i just listened to all of these on my Itunes. Del Shannon, a truly unsung Beatle influence.

Rock out!

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 1:45:11 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Listened to Zeppelin's "Coda" for the first time in many many years today. I think this album was unjustly maligned. Sure, it sounds like a coda to their earlier work, but there's also some hints of Plant's solo stuff and also some hints as to where Zeppelin might've gone. You do have to respect them some for quitting with Bonham's death rather than plodding on like the Who might've.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 8:11:23 PM PDT
Might've? The money-grubbing duo have plodded on after the deaths of 2 of their members now. Zeppelin (and I'm not a fan of them by any means) are to be greatly respected for doing as they did in this regard. Anyway... The last non-jazz listening here has been Man Of The World: The Anthology (1968-1988). For whatever reason, I am particularly enamored of Green's 3 minute musical distillation of the Book of Revelation, Seven Stars.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 8:49:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 8:50:27 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
30 minute version of King Kong by Zappa's Mother's (Flo & Eddie era), 1971, on the 4-disc Carnegie Hall (4 CD Set); disc 2, track 4. Fantastico!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 9:22:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 9:24:02 PM PDT
Erickson released an album this year. The documentary ended the story one year after Roky's younger brother had secured guardianship. He was just then becoming somewhat lucid.

I purchased the Tribute album because it had a track recorded by Jesus and Mary Chain, one of my favorite bands at that time. Had no idea about Roky Erickson. Almost all of the songs grew on me through the years. There is something convincing and heartfelt in those songs, whether its the simple lyrics, lamenting unrequited attraction in the number "You're Gonna Miss Me" or the other worldy, kremlin references in "Two Headed Dog."Speaking of the latter, Poi Dog Pondering does one hell of a job with 2 Headed!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 12:48:34 PM PDT

Tom Petty was in debt to Del Shannon as well -

It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'

from Running Down A Dream ( a personal fave from TP)

PS: I was making my own assertion with Runaway/Like A Hurricane. The guitar line at the beginning of Like A Hurricane sounds to me like a warped out Runaway.Since the first time I heard it.

re: Poi Dog Pondering - Two Headed Dog. Practically melts the player when it's on.

Roky did a fine version on Austin City Limits as well.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:10:30 PM PDT
Hey Jeff:

Can you imagine what the Travelling Wilburys would have sounded like with Del Shannon - as originally planned?

Check out Triste Cancion at (MTV Unplugged); and version with symphony at

Alejandro Lora, the bass player with the raspy voice has led El Tri for 35 years....the Rolling Stones of Mexico.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 5:17:53 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
I am listening to Sufi Music from Turkey

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 2:52:17 PM PDT

re:Travelling Wilburys would have sounded like with Del Shannon...

Had no idea. Thanks for the link for Triste Cancion.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 12:15:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 4:55:34 AM PDT
Brian says:
Beatles followed by Bob Marley. Just about perfect. "Just one good thing about music , when it hits you, you feel no pain."

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 8:24:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 8:37:41 PM PDT
Marion Brown may appear on it, but it's not really a jazz album The Pavilion Of Dreams.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 7:08:52 PM PDT
Created a playlist on the fly (one of the joys of storing music on the network) consisting primarily of sedate works with a few up tempo, rythmic pieces here and there.

Began with two Jazz selections from Trygve Seims album Yeraz (Ocrd) and from there:
Dead Can Dance - Cantara, As the Bell Rings the Maypole Swings, Avatar, Advent
Erik Satie (Thibaudet piano solo) - Gymnopedie No1, Gnossienne No1
Garth Knox (Contemporary Classical and Baroque trio) - Prema Lezione Allegro, Largo & Adante
Brian Eno & Harold Budd - Their Memories
Roger Eno - Voices
Richard Horrowitz - Marnia's Tent
Brian Eno/Jon Hassell - Delta Rain Dream
still going...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 11:19:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 11:22:02 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Under the Influence says: Created a playlist on the fly:
Brian Eno/Jon Hassell - Delta Rain Dream

should be

Jon Hassell/Brian Eno - Delta Rain Dream

Edit: upon further thought; why is Delta rain Dream "Not Jazz"?

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 10:58:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 10:58:37 AM PDT
willm says:
One of the best rock albums I've heard this year:

Boys & Girls

They're great live,too(I think she's Captain Beefheart's daughter;just kidding:-) She can shred!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 9:38:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 9:40:38 PM PDT
Nitya asks: "why is Delta rain Dream "Not Jazz"?"

I'm sure we discussed the topic of Hassell's music in the past, but I'll give it one more go 'round and put more depth into this iteration. In the past I've always felt Hassell's works fit well with the umbrella term "ambient music;" created by Brian Eno before his collaborations with Hassell starting in the 1980's.

This reasoning is in part due to his use of electronic instruments and looping/recording techniques as an instrument, a central element in Eno's ambient genre. Also the modal approach with trumpet and lack of jazz-style synchopation. The combination thus far seems more closely aligned with minimalist modern classical and pioneering electronic music than Jazz. With the frequent inclusion of regional musical styles and instrumentation from around the world, Hassell moves yet another step away from a "Jazz" sound.

It could be argued that any one of the those elements existed in jazz before the recording of the Fourth World collaborations, but not all existing together and arriving at such a distinctly new sound. Though Hassell has recordings that include notable jazz elements, in many of his works Hassell seems more intent on creating a new music culture, with tones and rythyms from the various parts of the world mixed in a unique way with modern electronics and mixing. With electronic manipulation, the trumpet no longer sounds like an acoustic trumpet. The imagery produced by this music is something that I would seldom envision while listening to bop, fusion, avante-garde, or any jazz sound. Don't think I'm trying to be poetic when I say that "Delta Rain Dream" has always produced fuzzy images of a Persian caravan moving across a rocky desert path at night. The trumpet emulates blowing wind, tabla percussion reminiscient of hooves clopping on the rocky landscape, etc. "Rising Thermal" reminds me of noisy frogs surrounding a pond at night. Those are honest, acoustically invoked images that are conjured in my mind when I hear those pieces.

Another argument I've seen for using the Jazz title is that it involves the spirit of Jazz innovation and is an evolutionary extension of the genre. My view is that other music genres have seen as much change and innovation as Jazz. So that isn't relevent in my view.

In addition, I don't see Hassell's music as a Jazz inspired evolution when looking at the whole, since it displays a greater likeness to other genres of music which I mentioned in the previous paragraphs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 12:03:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 12:10:39 AM PDT

I got side 1 , disc 1 of Little Feat HOY HOY LP going on my back porch at a respectable volume as I read your post. It's 9:01 PM here in the Islands. LOVE the big band arrangement behind the band on Skin It Back!

[Edit: here it is]

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 10:42:16 AM PDT
Album Broadcasting From Home (Reis) from Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 2:22:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 2:23:18 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Certainly not jazz Monteverdi: Madrigals / Rooley, The Consort of Musicke

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 2:49:26 PM PDT

I have SIGNS OF LIFE by Penguin Cafe Orchestra. It's pretty good. The fact that they are on EG Editions (King Crimson, Brian Eno, some other early Prog stuff as well) was what caught my attention initially.Signs of Life (Reis)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 3:17:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 3:25:03 PM PDT
I enjoy PCO a lot. Fun music, no doubt. I discovered PCO in the early '90s when I began listening to music thrown in with the umbrella Ambient title. "Wildlife" from "Signs..." was one of the first tracks that I heard from a series of compilations that included the Enos, Harold Budd, Jaki Leibezeit, Laswell, Material, Amorphous Androgynous, Jon Hassell, William Orbit, Holger Czukay... a lot of the early Jazz/Krautrock artists.

One of the interesting things about these bands... I assumed that much of the underground music that I first heard in the 1980's was some form of spontaneous creation that arose from the Punk movement. Later, I learned that many of these artists were extending and expanding on ideas from the underground European artists which had begun in the late 60's.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 3:29:10 PM PDT
Here's an example from one of my favorite groups, Scottish underground musicians who's first album release was 1985 - The Jesus and Mary Chain. I'm sure you'll recognize.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:41:18 AM PDT
re:Enos, Harold Budd, Jaki Leibezeit, Laswell, Material, , Jon Hassell, William Orbit, Holger Czukay...

Yeah I like a Lot of what those artists do musically.Haven't heard Amorphous Androgynous or much William Orbit or Roger Eno, but the rest never fail to get my attention when they are associated with a project.

My main contact with Jesus And Mary Chain is the Roky Erickson Tribute album . That and they sound like one of the bands that used to be featured in those John Hughes movies of the 80s.

PS:On an unrelated note, I got to thinking about it later and it was Sister Double Happiness ( the Only time I have heard them anywhere btw) that did Two Headed Dog on the Erickson tribute-WTPMTE not Poi Dog Pondering. Love the energy in that version.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:40:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 10:42:33 AM PDT
You keep surprising me with your music interests. Particularly when you bought the Satie Orchestra album! Would never have suspected that you own a PCO album, either. I guess it shouldn't seem odd to me that you enjoy the progressive/electronic artists of the 70-90's era, given your affection for the Matt Maneri album.

Yeah, I realized I botched the artist on the RE Tribute album about the time I shut down the PC, and was too lazy to go back and correct. Actually, I do that fairly often and in most instances, for whatever reason, it goes unnoticed ;-)

Jesus and Mary Chain (JAMC) and John Hughes? I'm not familiar with Hughes. Maybe I need to check out his movies. JAMC is one of those bands that changes its veneer with each album, though the drony sounds, somber vocals, short songs, and heavy guitars were always present. When I say "veneer" in reference to JAMC, I'm referring to their choice of guitar and distortion pedals; acoustic drum versus machine; leaning toward trippy versus folksy versus new wave or rock. Took me a while to get accustomed to Reid's version of bluesy, woe is me moaning and groaning, and the heavy (Velvet Undergroundish) feedback on the first and third albums (which dropped considerably on later albums).

A few clips that demonstrate their changing style from albums released from '85 (first album) to '94 (second last album)

You trip me up 1985 - album Psychocandy, trippy new wave version, plenty of guitar feedback and distortion, drum kit was like maybe one tom-tom
Deep one perfect morning and down on me 1987 - album Darklands, guitar cleaned up and drum machine used to produce a more folk like rythym.
Head On 1989 - album Automatic, industrial beats on a few of the album tracks but more straight ahead rock sound
Catchfire 1992 - album Honey's Dead, slow tempo jungle beat, and deafening swirls of guitar distortion
I caught a very loud, live performance in '92 on Oahu. During the solos, every guitar chord strum lit the air up like a living organism. It wasn't the drum beat that belted your chest and pulsed through your body, it was the wavering, distorted guitar chords and effects.
Sometimes always 1994 live with Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star on Letterman
JAMC went to a folksy, country and rock sound on the '94 album Stoned and Dethroned release. I quit listening to them a few years later (as I was fairly tired of rock music in general) and they broke up after releasing an album in '98 called Munki (which I've never owned)

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 11:53:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 11:54:00 AM PDT
I'm starting out music listening with Madrid Atrium Musicae De Madrid album Musique Arabo-Andalouse. Though strangely absent from the Billboard Top 40, this 1994 release is all about the music culture of a small group of Spanish settlers and the artists are keepin' it real. I'm not sure what that means "keeping it real", but I've always wanted to put that in a music review.

I'm quite sure Jeffery DOESN'T own this album. Though he *does* own a very large and eclectic set of albums, I think he probably doesn't own this. Not that its a competition between us. I'm just saying, is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 2:28:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 4:16:40 AM PDT

I'll follow up with Jesus and Mary Chain clips. I have a couple days off coming up and will give those clips a good listen. As far as eclectic tastes, that comes with doing a radio show for 10 years at a college in Durango, Colorado -KDUR when we lived there. That, and I love different listening experiences. I love Jazz because in and of itself it epitomizes what is great about music and the listening experience. Jazz has a definite edge in my collection but good music IS good music. No matter the origin.

John Hughes did Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink, those kind of movies in the 80s and later. When I say it sounded like JAMC, it might be that the songs in the movie were by artists who tried to sound like them.

Have you heard the band Can ? Two of the folks you mention earlier - Holger Czukay and Jaki Leibezeit are from the band. I have the double live of theirs and pull it down when I'm of the mind to put my head in another kind of space altogether.Can Box Music: Live 1971-1977 Hypnotic, spacy and tribal, lots of things. But not everyday stuff. Good, good things going on with some powerful moments.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  179
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers