Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Desert Island Albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 729 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 9, 2009 6:36:35 AM PST
willm says:
Stuff not mentioned,I find essential :

eShip sum-Alfred Harth

Willisau (Quartet) 1991-Anthony Braxton

Black Saint and The Sinner Lady( or was that mentioned?)

Herbie Nichols Box

Skies Of America-Ornette Coleman

One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye-CTU

Emphasis/Flight-Jimmy Giuffre

Process and Reality-Evan Parker

Hot Rats-Frank Zappa

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 8:00:55 AM PST
Spartacus says:
Joe,

Since I started this thing, let me point out that my list took many years to get to 84 and that was from listening to well over 6000 albums which is less than 1.5%. I think when other people saw my list quite a few of them created lists to match or excede mine in length. I noticed in some cases there are fewer musicians on their lists than mine although their lists are larger. When I see one or two albums listed for a musician, I may go listen to them to see if they appeal to me, but when someone lists a dozen or more by a single artist, I will be likely to listen to none of them since I simply don't have the time and wouldn't know where to start. So the ability to gain insights from someone else's list is often in inverse proportion to it's length. All in all, I still think this was a good idea and a resource that will remain useful for long into the future. It ought to be linked to the first post in the Newcomers thread and I will do that when I get a chance. Too bad I can't make it a two-way link, but I didn't start the other thread.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 8:10:07 AM PST
Spartacus says:
Whim,
That short list of yours is interesting: that's the sort of thing I find useful because it is short enough to check out and you have just one pick per artist. If I'm right I already have all the albums you listed except maybe the Giuffre and the Herbie Nichols.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 10:13:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 10:20:43 AM PST
Nitya says:
Daniel M. Bresnahan says: I noticed in some cases there are fewer musicians on their lists than mine although their lists are larger
===============
Sort of answered his before but I have a little OCD (not too bad) but when I think of an artist like Eberhard Weber I want to have most of his albums. Just the way my brain works. I also used this forum as a chance to put up my A list of artists and their music.

Completely off topic but "Raising Sand" by Plant and Krause is an amazing cd (if you like rock-a-billy). Even more amazing is their CMT live set where they do most of the songs. I have it on my DVR - too lazy to record to DVD.

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 10:16:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 10:19:04 AM PST
If someone (me) challenged you to put in ONLY TEN desert island jazz albums, what would they be? I posted mine in this discussion on Sunday Feb 8th (yesterday) and here they are again:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
John McLaughlin - My Goals Beyond
Pat Metheny - Still Life Talking
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveler
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (I'll get flak for that one because it's "rock" but it isn't if you listen)
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All (or maybe "Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life" - I'll get even more flack for either one of these, migod, it isn't "jazz purist" music)
Getz/Gilberto (or the Verve collection called "Red Hot and Rio")
Santana - Caravanserai

(And I still like it)

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 10:22:16 AM PST
Nitya says:
Anthony: Donald Fagen - The Nightfly, Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
==========
My favorite albums by these two amazing artists......

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 10:33:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 10:35:09 AM PST
Dan,

You are correct that my 101 favorites list has been built over more than 20 years and each new recording that comes into our collection is a potential candidate. I also like to have a broad selection of artists. As you say, the list represents about 2% of our collection. I made the same points you did about having a large number of albums by the same artist on lists. As much as I like some artists (Ellington, Getz, Akiyoshi, etc.) very few of their albums are of desert island quality in my opinion. While there are times when I delve into a specific artist in depth, I usually listen to a large cross section of our collection.

Same as you, I learned that certain people like Dave Brubeck or Jon Hassell or John Coltrane a lot, but wouldn't use these lists to start exploring an artist I was unfamiliar with. I do find it interesting to see what albums others have selected where I am a virtual compleatist for an artist. Some of the selections surprise me, as I do not think of them as among a particular artist's stronger recordings. I guess that's a matter of taste.

Like you, I'm an inveterate list maker. I have supplemental lists of about 5-10 albums for my favorite artists that I consider essential for those particular artists. So if someone asks me "What are your favorite Harry 'Sweets' Edison recordings?", I could tell them.

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 10:39:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 10:40:37 AM PST
Nitya says:
Susan D. Ward says: Some of the selections surprise me, as I do not think of them as among a particular artist's stronger recordings.
============
I always seem to like what others consider an artists weak album for some reason. Good example are Terje Rypdal's three "Chaser" cd's. I loved that group and Rypdal "fans" didn't. I thought he was just having fun and making some good music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 12:20:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 12:22:06 PM PST
Spartacus says:
It is all so subjective that if someone were to ask me why I like a particular artist or album, I wouldn't attempt to tell them why. When you start talking about why, you are taking the music apart as if it was assembled like an erector set, and it wasn't-especially not jazz. Sure there are arrangements and scores, but that's not the music...it's not what you hear...and what you hear isn't your emotional response either. It's always infinitely more than the sum of the parts, so why is just a rationalization if you are honest about it. I don't need to appear smart by pretending to understand things or to be able to explain them. I also try very hard in practice never to say more than what I know (which usually isn't a whole lot).

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 4:12:18 PM PST
Nitya says:
OK here's some more artists I can't live without; most ar " downtempo techno jazz".

Aloan
Amsterdam Nights
Anja Garbarek
Atjazz
Bernie Worrell
Big Bang
Bjork
Bliss
Blue States
Bonobo
Boozoo Bajou
BT
Buckethead
Charles Webster
Chris Brann (Ananda&P'taah)
Cinematic Orchestra
Circulation
Crazy P
David Sylvian
De Phazz
Dead Can Dance
Drunk With Joy
dZihan & Kamien
Electroslide
Ernesto
Fade Out Vision
Fatboy Slim
Flunk
Full Moon Fashions
Funk D'Void
Funkatized
Ganesh
Gare du Nord
George Kranz
Gnarls Barkley
Gork
Gus Gus
Hacienda
Hanna
Hardkandy
Hefner
Herbert
Hi-Fidelity House_ Imprint 3
Higher Intelligence Agency
Hird
Humanoid
I-Cube
Incognito
Jah Wobble
Jam & Spoon
James Hardway
Jamie Lidell
Jamiroquai
Jazzanova
John Beltran
Jol
Jori Hulkkonen
Jose Gonzalez
K&D
King Kooba
Kit Clayton
Koop
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Laurent Garnier
Lazy
Lee Norris
Lords of Svek
Middleton & Pritchard
Moca
Mohan
Moloko
Mono Deluxe
Monsieur Dodo
Moodorama
Moodymann
Morcheeba
Mr. Velcro Fastener
Murcof
Mylo
Naked Music
New Order
Nick Holder
Nick Wood
Nightmares On Wax
Nightwish
Noorda
Nor Elle
Nordic Lounge
Nu Jazz vol. 2
Nuspirit Helsinki
Omni Trio
Plej
Quant
Racoon
Rhihana
Ry Cooder
Schmoov
Seelenluft
Sia
Sienna
Sigur Ros
Smadj
Solar Twins
Sounds From The Ground
St Germain
Stratus
Susanna And The Magical Orchestra
The Egg
The Invisible Session
The Orb
The Starseeds
The Sushi Club
Those Norwegians
Time Passing
Tina Dico
Tosca
Two Banks Of Four
Underworld
Urban Myth Club
Vidar Busk
Vienna DC
Weekend Players
Yonderboi
Zero 7
Zorg

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 4:28:58 PM PST
Spartacus says:
Nitya,

How many albums did you say you have?

Dan

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 4:39:06 PM PST
Nitya says:
Daniel M. Bresnahan says: How many albums did you say you have?
=================
Including my R 'n R which nobody has asked about yet and my classic jazz and classical I probably have 3500 conservatively. I have only listed jazz or jazzy. I very easily could have more because many on that last list have several albums. Oh yeah I also have a whole shelf of "audiophile direct to disc and whatnot". Fortunately my wife has given up caring.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2009 3:54:53 AM PST
Yim says:
Here are some of my favourites:

Bley, Paul - Open, to Love
Bley, Paul - Solo in Mondsee
Braxton, Anthony; Parker, William & Graves, Milford - Beyond Quantum
Burrell, Kenny - Ellington is Forever, Vol. 1
Coleman, Ornette - Change of the Century
Coleman, Ornette - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Coleman, Ornette - This is Our Music
Coltrane, John - Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings
Coltrane, John - A Love Supreme
Coltrane, John - Meditations
Crispell, Marilyn - Amaryllis
Crispell, Marilyn & Hemingway, Gerry - Duo
Davis, Miles - Miles Ahead
Davis, Miles - Miles Smiles
Davis, Miles - Nefertiti
Dolphy, Eric - Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot, Vol. 1
Dolphy, Eric - Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot, Vol. 2
Dolphy, Eric - Memorial Album
Dolphy, Eric - Out to Lunch
Ellington, Duke - Never No Lament (The Blanton-Webster Band)
Ellington, Duke - Such Sweet Thunder
Ellington, Duke - The Far East Suite
Evans, Gil - Out of the Cool
Fujii, Satoko - Kitsune-Bi
Hancock, Herbie - Speak Like a Child
Hancock, Herbie - Crossings
Hill, Andrew - Point of Departure
Holland, Dave - Conference of the Birds
Ibarra, Susie - Folkloriko
Ibrahim, Abdullah - Water From an Ancient Well
Konitz, Lee - The Lee Konitz Duets
Monk, Thelonious - Thelonious Alone in San Francisco
Motian, Paul - The Story of Maryam
Motian, Paul - Time and Time Again
Parker, Charlie - Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Sessions
Parker, William - Sound Unity
Previte, Bobby - The 23 Constellations of Joan Miró
Russell, George - Stratusphunk
Russell, George - Ezz-Thetics
Shorter, Wayne - Speak No Evil
Shorter, Wayne - The All Seeing Eye
Tristano, Lennie & Marsh, Warne - Intuition

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 12:40:07 PM PST
Spartacus says:
Just posted this so Jeffery can get at it easily. Besides it's the kind of thread that people can always have fun with. I check out stuff others list here to see what made them recommend it so highly.

Dan

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 2:14:15 PM PST
Just click on my name for my 2 lists of 40 albums each, most of which you can hear samples of. There is some overlap with other contributors.

Surprised that Brubeck has so many entries. Time Out is a keeper, but although I have a few albums, including a double CD Best Of, there isn't much I would take to the island. I would take a couple of Kenton's because the collection needs to include a number of different genres of jazz to provide variety. Some of the lists seem a bit monochromatic to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 4:13:11 PM PST
Jonathan,

Checked out your lists, and found them interesting. Most of your selections are in our collection and there are quite a few that made our list as well. You titled the list at 100, so I'm wondering what the other 20 selections are.

Yes, many of the lists seem monochromatic, but, as Dan points out, were probably compiled off the top of the head for this thread based on what people are listening to now. The extent of Burbeck's lasting popularity is a little surprising to me as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 4:38:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2009 8:20:06 AM PST
Spartacus says:
Susan,

Re: "I have supplemental lists of about 5-10 albums for my favorite artists that I consider essential for those particular artists. So if someone asks me "What are your favorite Harry 'Sweets' Edison recordings?", I could tell them."

I don't go that far with lists. Other than my Desert Island Album list, the only other list I maintain is my Favorites track list. If someone were to ask me what else I like by some artist on my album list, a quick scan of my track list (which I can do on Windows) would show which other albums have tracks I like by that artist. I find in most cases that other than that list of 84, other albums usually only contain a minority of tracks that I would consider anyone's best. The need to produce albums for economic reasons often prompts an artist to produce albums containing one or two strong tracks with the rest provided merely for the sake of creating an album-not because they rank with the performer's best works. Very few musicians can turn out album after album of major performances without repeating themselves: it is a truly awsome feat to produce one great album, no less a series of them.

Dan

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 4:45:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2009 4:46:49 PM PST
Bryce Jerlow says:
I dug Brubeck from the git go & still do as well as do I dig the newer more, or at least different, cerebral approach.

Yep, several would be on my list.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 5:07:36 PM PST
Dan, Yes, Ive heard that throughout his career ,Monk only recorded 80 some different songs. I cant swear to it, but is you take a casual look at his cds, youll find many repeats..james

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 7:54:51 AM PST
@Susan

Yes, I started ambitiously to compile a list of 100 and then discovered the maximum in a Listmania list was 40. After two lists of 40 I found it increasingly difficult to identify definitive jazz CDs without getting into more and more repetition of artists. As you will see, there are already several Ellingtons and Davis's. I think that after you take your favorite two, or possibly three, CDs by an artist then further CDs are exponentially less likely to be played with any frequency.

For example right now I particularly enjoy listening to the DVD concert of Bireli Lagrene and Friends Live at La Vienne. This is a 3-hour concert that I have re-recorded onto 3 CDs of about an hour each. Now, although I have other recordings in the genre, for example a studio album of Bireli Lagrene, and other recordings by Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Martin Taylor, and The Rosenberg Trio, there is a limit to the repertoire and you can only listen to so many guitar versions of I've Found a New Baby, or I Got Rhythym.

Similarly, I tend to find that once once has the definitive jazz album for accordion music or harmonica, or vibes, or for a particular kind of mood or feeling, then it becomes harder to find or to buy more unless one is sure that the new acquisition is actually better than what one had before.

Artie Shaw famously said: "I don't play jazz, I play music" and while Artie was probably a contrarian dick, there is a kind of point here. The best music is music that you just enjoy for the feeling it conveys when you can forget that it is jazz, and just enjoy the music. Ellington also said: "If it sounds good, it IS good."

This is where the much maligned Kenton seems to come in. His stuff is just good to listen to, and who cares if it is intellectually pure. All of the 80 albums on my lists are selected at least to some extent based on the notion that you don't have to be a jazz fan to enjoy them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 9:16:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2009 9:17:42 AM PST
Jonathan, You certainly have eclectic tastes? I suugest that when you go to the desert island, to lighten your load, you bring only the following items that you have rated: 1. The Great American Songbook by Rod Stewart 2 the book, Diary of a Female sexfiend, 3the book, The Round healed Woman, and 4, The upright vacuum cleaner. It will take up a lot of lonely hours.. james ps just kidding,by the way, I live up the coast in St Augustine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 10:10:16 AM PST
Spartacus says:
I've just added an 85th album to my Desert Island list. This one should please Nitya because it is certainly within the domain of his favorites:

Masqualero - Bande À Part

Personnel:
Arild Andersen basses
Nils Petter Molvær trumpet
Tore Brunborg saxophones
Jon Balke piano, synthesizer
Jon Christensen drums, percussion

Masqualero is one of Norway's best-known bands, internationally. When established in 1983, the group called itself Arild Andersen / Jon Christensen Quintet, but almost immediately changed its name to Masqualero, named after Wayne Shorter's famous tune. As with many Eurpean jazz players, there is a strong Third Stream flavor to their music which is certainly enough for some ultra-traditionalists to say that it isn't jazz. But I never belonged to that club, so on the list it goes. I'm sure Artie Shaw would have approved, and so would Miles, and so would the best players out there today

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 10:20:39 AM PST
@James

Yes, you have to click on my two Listmania lists for recommended jazz albums, not the reviews.

Actually my favorite book review is on a Dick Francis thriller called Shattered and is entitled: Shatttered or Just Very Lame? For some reason the review is very poorly rated, but in my experience only positive reviews get good ratings. My review of a Spanish CD course has 960 positive votes, which one would never get for a jazz album even if every jazz fan in the hemisphere voted for it.

I think the best line from the vacuum cleaner review is:

"If I could have gotten the old Hoover my grandmother used in the 1950's I would have jumped at it, but for some reason vacuum cleaner technology seems to have gone steadily backwards with time.," or "it also makes about as much noise as a jumbo jet flying directly overhead..."

I could probably slip these lines (slightly modified) into some jazz CD reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 10:26:15 AM PST
Yes. I think I got the wrong list...james

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 8:15:49 PM PST
Red Nichols says:
Dear Leo: Thanks for a wonderful and thoughtful list, obviously composed by someone with taste - I share your love of most of these records, particularly Tatum-Webster. Don't have the Witherspoon-Mulligan, worse luck, but thoroughly enjoy both artists. As for your assessment of Kind of Blue, there's simply no argument. All the best.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  729
Initial post:  Feb 7, 2009
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions