Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Avant Garde Jazz

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 12:25:36 PM PST
Edwardobop says:
A pal in Europe sent me this link (below). He wanted to let me know about the new "Golden" label releases from Leo Records. (I have collected a few in the past).

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=golden

I figure this is the best thread to cover this and hope it helps.

Ed

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 5:35:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2008 5:39:38 PM PST
Spartacus says:
I don't know where else to post this because If I start talking about Sun Ra on any of the other threads, I will probably draw critical comment I really don't need. Anyway, the way I often listen to music is to load everything I've got by a particular musician and play it all consecutively. A while back I loaded all my Sun Ra stuff and got around to playing it beginning last Friday (something over 400 tracks). Well I got up to 185 today and started thinking about one piece in particular, Nuclear War. If I can steal a line from Cannonball Adderly, the title is pronounce Nuk'lu Wa' and the lyrics are somethin' else! Anybody playing that piece on most radio stations, even today, would probably be down in the unemployment office early tomorrow morning. The thing is the singing (chanting?) is really incredibly expressive. You have to be able to listen "between the lines" so to speak because there is a lot of American history in the song...a couple of hundred years worth IMAO. It is also a plaintive cry for salvation from everything that has ever plagued our country all wrapped up in a single symbol. Now somebody may come along and say I'm nuts (which is what I would expect on any other thread). But hopefully, if anyone comments here, it will be someone admiringly familiar with Sun Ra's work, and perhaps they will resonate positively to what I was feeling, hearing this piece again after a very long time.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 5:40:07 PM PST
Case Quarter says:
dan,

quite awhile ago i was listening to a jazz program on a college radio station when all of a sudden sun ra started chanting what he chants on nuclear war. my mother was in kitchen, within hearing distance, and i managed to hear the entire song only after turning the radio volume down very low. i still felt uncomfortable, and under my listening conditions nuclear war came off as both redundant and exciting. clearly a recording i've never forgotten. had i ever considered listening to it again? no. it resides in my mental listening filing cabinet as a novelty. i do appreciate what you say about revisits to music after a long period of time. sunday i was listening to roscoe mitchell's sound (on vinyl), a recording i never particularly liked. lately roscoe mitchell is my favorite jazz composer, and hearing sound again, i was overwhelmed with how much i now like it. your comments on revisiting sun ra's nuclear war have me considering a revisit if the opportunity presents itself. so much music, so little time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 6:32:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2008 6:48:39 PM PST
Spartacus says:
Case Quarter,

Sun Ra was the first jazz I ever heard live. It was at the old long-gone Key Club in Newark. I was too young to drink, but they let me in alone just to listen to the music. It was incredibly exciting. When I sometime wonder where I got my liking for edge players, I am sure that night had a lot to do with it. You're a rarity. I've met a few people who liked Mitchell, but I don't think I ever heard anyone put him at the top of their list before. I like his early stuff, especially with the AEOC, but in recent years he has gotten to sounding too cerebral for my tastes. I was listening to Roscoe Mitchell Matthew Shipp -2005- Live Aiconftra Sardegna Ejazz '05Viii28 and I had trouble focusing because it took to much of an effort. I found myself trying to "understand" it; and that is not the way I usually listen to music (I like to turn my head off when I listen).

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 4:27:30 AM PST
willm says:
WOW,Dan,I'm impressed,you saw God.Ra is incredibly underrated as a piano player.I've got one of the solos,Teatro La Fenice,that proves it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 5:02:31 PM PST
Case Quarter says:
i was always afraid to go into newark, i hung out at the village vanguard and the gate. remember the village gate? i saw mingus there. i listened to a lot of free jazz, and avant garde jazz. listening to roscoe mitchell's sound the other day, i realize now what avant garde jazz truly is. what mitchell did on sound, a whole lot of people playing modern music and jazz are doing today. i can't recall the first avant garde or free jazz musician i heard, probably pharoah sanders when leon thomas was with his group. the aeoc i've seen a couple of times, gongs, whistles, costumes, makeup, the works, and mostly i was turned on by bowie, like everybody else who listened the group.

artists i haven't seen who i wanted to see and never got the chance? archie shepp and marion brown.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 9:08:11 PM PST
Spartacus says:
I've told stories about Newark here and there on this forum. Grew up there in the first housing project built in the US. It's still there, 65 years later-one enormous two block crack house! I've never seen Shepp either-hope I get a chance some day. Maybe we could team up on that one if he plays the US again.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 7:58:12 AM PST
Case Quarter says:
sounds like a plan.

ironically, my best friend is from newark, and in recent years i've traveled there with her for family visits, often going along springfield ave, which has made its impression on me.

amiri baraka's spirit house. did you catch any events there?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 2:30:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2008 4:46:49 PM PST
Spartacus says:
No, but for a little while back in the '60s I lived in an apartment just of Springfield Ave and High Street that he had lived in the year before. I saw him a few times in the neighborhood. He had a place on Springfield Ave. at the time that wasn't far from there.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 3:45:30 PM PST
Spartacus says:
I was having a brief discussion of one of my favorite musicians and playing some of his music earlier tonight. Started wondering whether he would be considered avant garde or mainstream: where do you think Yusef Lateef belongs in the scheme of things?

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 4:09:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2008 5:48:22 PM PST
River Dog says:
smooth?

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

greg

edit: on a more serious note, i don't think he is limited to any genre. On the same album, he can go from traditional soft to avant garde.
imho

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 3:47:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2008 3:52:32 AM PST
Spartacus says:
The Best 101 Recordings of 2008 recommended by Bruce Lee Gallanter of the Downtown Music Gallery

AMM [EDDIE PREVOST/JOHN TILBURY] With JOHN BUTCHER - Trinity (Matchless 71; UK)
ANGLES - Every Woman Is A Tree (Clean Feed 112; Portugal)
LOTTE ANKER/SYLVIE COURVOISIER/IKUE MORI - Alien Huddle (Intakt 144; Switzerland)
LOTTE ANKER / CRAIG TABORN / GERALD CLEAVER - Live At The Loft (Ilk 148; EEC)
ATOMIC/SCHOOL DAYS [KEN VANDERMARK/JEB BISHOP/INGEBRIGT HAKER FLATEN/PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE] - Distil [2 CD set] (Okka 12073; USA)
MICHAEL BATES' OUTSIDE SOURCES With RUSS JOHNSON/QUINSIN NACHOF/JEFF DAVIS - Clockwise (Greenleaf 09; USA)
BAUER 4 [JOHANNES BAUER/CONNY [KONRAD] BAUER/MATTHIAS BAUER /LOUIS RASTIG] - Family Affairs (Jazzwerkstatt 23; Germany)
CONNY [KONRAD] BAUER/GIANLUIGI TROVESI/DIETRICH DIESNER /TONY OXLEY - Live At Jazzwerkstatt Pirtz (Jazzwerkstatt 32; Germany)
JAMIE BAUM SEPTET - Solace (Sunnyside 1193; USA)
FARUQ Z BEY & NORTHWOODS IMPROVISERS//TIMOTHY O'BRIEN & ANDREW BARE, dirs. - Journey Into The Valley [DVD + CD] (Entropy 017; USA)
RAOUL BJORKENHEIM/WILLIAM PARKER/HAMID DRAKE - DMG @ The Stone Vol 2: December 26 2006 (DMG ARC 722)
ANTHONY BRAXTON 12+1TET - (Victoriaville) 2007 (Victo 109; Quebec)
ANTHONY BRAXTON//GENEVIEVE FOCCROULLE - Piano Music 1968-2000 [9 CD Box Set] (Leo 901-909; UK)
ANTHONY BRAXTON - Solo Live At Gasthof Heidelberg Loppem 2005: Compositions 307, 308, 309 [4 CD Set] (Locusloppem; Austria)
ANTHONY BRAXTON - Nine Compositions (DVD) 2003 [DVD-Audio] (Rastascan 60; USA)
ANTHONY BRAXTON/MILFORD GRAVES/WILLIAM PARKER - Beyond Quantum (Tzadik 7626; USA)
ANTHONY BRAXTON QUARTET With TAYLOR HO BYNUM/MARY HALVORSON/KATHERINE YOUNG - Comp. 367B (Moscow) 2008 (Leo 518; UK)
ANTHONY BRAXTON & THE AIM TORONTO ORCHESTRA - Creative Orchestra (Guelph) 2007 (Line 29/Spool 130; Canada)
ROB BROWN ENSEMBLE With CRAIG TABORN/WILLIAM PARKER/GERALD CLEAVER - Crown Trunk Root Funk (AUM 44; USA)
TAYLOR HO BYNUM SEXTET With JESSICA PAVONE/MARY HALVORSON - Asphalt Flowers Forking Paths (hat ology 675; Switzerland)
ROY CAMPBELL Jr ENSEMBLE With BILLY BANG/BRYAN CARROTT - Akhenaten Suite (AUM 45)
DANIELE CAVALLANTI/TIZIANO TONONI With JENNY SCHEINMAN et al - Rings Of Fire (Long Song 110; Italy)
CLEAR FRAME [LOL COXHILL/CHARLES HAYWARD/HUGH HOPPER/ORPHY ROBINSON] + ROBERT WYATT - Clear Frame (Continuity 01)
COSMOLOGIC [MICHAEL DESSEN/JASON ROBINSON/SCOTT WALTON /NATHAN HUBBARD] - Eyes In The Back Of My Head (Cuneiform 263)
THE COSMOSAMATICS [w/ SONNY SIMMONS/MICHAEL MARCUS] - Free Within The Law (Not Two 792; Poland)
JEREMIAH CYMERMAN - In Memory of the Labyrinth System (Tzadik 8049; USA)
BILL DIXON ORCHESTRA - 17 Musicians In Search of A Sound: Darfur (In Concert at Vision Festival XII) (AUM 46; USA)
PAUL DUNMALL/SIMON PICARD/PAUL ROGERS/CHRISTIAN WEBER/TONY LEVIN - London Meets Altburon [3 CD set/Limited Ed] (Duns 060; UK)
PAUL DUNMALL/PAUL ROGERS - Regeneration (FMR 244; UK)
PAUL DUNMALL/TONY BIANCO - Spirits Past And Future (Duns 062; UK)
TREVOR DUNN - Four Films [sndtck s] (Tzadik 7518; USA)
JOHN ESCREET With DAVID BINNEY/TYSHAWN SOREY - Consequences (Posi-tone 8042)
ELLERY ESKELIN/SYLVIE COURVOISIER - Every So Often (Prime Source 5010; USA)
PETER EVANS/TOM BLANCARTE - Sparks (Creative Sources 119; Portugal)
PETER EVANS/JAMES FEI/DAMON SMITH/WEASEL WALTER - Evans/Fei/Smith/Walter (ugExplode 29)
[ERIK FRIEDLANDER/TREVOR DUNN/MIKE SARIN] BROKEN ARM TRIO - Broken Arm Trio (Skipstone 02; USA)
FRED FRITH - To Sail, To Sail (Tzadik 7625)
FRED FRITH & DANIELLE PALARDY ROGER - Pas De Deux Nouveau (AM 175; Canada)
SATOKO FUJII MA-DO With NATSUKI TAMURA/NORIKATSU KOREYASI/AKIRA KORIKOSHI - Heat Wave (Not Two 806; EEC)
SATOKO FUJII ORCHESTRA NY - Summer Suite (Libra 215-023; Japan)
STEPHEN GAUCI'S BASSO CONTINUO - Nidihyansana (Clean Feed 101; Portugal)
FRODE GJERSTAD With WILLIAM PARKER/HAMID DRAKE - On Reade Street (FMR 256; UK)
FRODE GJERSTAD & CIRCULASIONE TOTALE ORCHESTRA - Open Port: Yellow Bass & Silver Cornet (In Memory of Johnny Mbizo Dyani and John Stevens) (Circulasione 09; EEC) )
VINNY GOLIA - The Bb Saxophones: Music for Like Instruments (Nine Winds 289)
DENNIS GONZALEZ JNAANA SEPTET With ALVIN FIELDER/CHRIS PARKER et al - The Gift Of Discernment (Not Two 791; EEC)
BARRY GUY/MARILYN CRISPELL/PAUL LYTTON - Phases Of The Night (Intakt 138; Switzerland)
INGEBRIGT HAKER FLATEN QUINTET - The Year of the Boar (JazzlandNOR; EEC)
MARY HALVORSON/WEASEL WALTER - Opulence (ugExplode 26; USA)
MARY HALVORSON/JESSICA PAVONE//DEVIN HOFF/CHES SMITH - Calling All Portraits (Skycap 49; Germany)
JOEL HARRISON - The Wheel (Innova 220; USA)
MARK HELIAS' OPEN LOOSE - Strange Unison (Radio Legs 013)
[KATO HIDEKI / OTOMO YOSHIHIDE / UEMURA MASAHIRO] GREEN ZONE - Bayt (Callithump 02; Japan)
IDEAL BREED [JOSH SINTON/KIRK KNUFFKE/REUBEN RADDING/TOMAS FUJIWARA] - Ideal Breed [ltd ed] (KMBjazz 15)
VIJAY IYER - Tragicomic (Sunnyside 1186: USA)
KHAN JAMAL PERCUSSION AND STRING QUARTET - Cool (Porter 4018; USA)
CARLA KIHLSTEDT - Ravish And Other Tales For The Stage (Twelve Cups 01; USA)
JOELLE LEANDRE/BARRE PHILLIPS - A l'improviste (Kadima 16; Israel)
PEGGY LEE BAND - New Code (Drip Audio 18; Canada)
LUKAS LIGETI - Afrikan Machinery (Tzadik 8054; USA)
RUDRESH MAHANTHAPPA With KADRI GOPALNATH & THE DAKSHINA ENSEMBLE - Kinsmen (Pi 28)
GIOVANNI MAIER TECHICOLOR With MARC RIBOT & ZENO DE ROSSI - Featuring Marc Ribot/A Turtle Soup [2 CD set] (Long Song 105; Italy)
TONY MALABY With WILLIAM PARKER/NASHEET WAITS - Tamarindo (Clean Feed 99)
MAYBE MONDAY [FRED FRITH/MIYA MASAOKA/LARRY OCHS] + CARLA KIHLSTEDT/IKUE MORI/ZEENA PARKINS/GERRY HEMINGWAY - Unsquare (Intakt 132)
SZILARD MEZEI ENSEMBLE - Nad/Reed (Red Toucan 9335; Canada)
LOUIS MOHOLO-MOHOLO With MARILYN CRISPELL - Sibanye (We Are One): Duets With Marilyn Crispell (Intakt 145; Switzerland)
MICHAEL MOORE With ERIK FRIEDLANDER/GUY KLUCEVSEK - Holocene (Ramboy 24; Netherlands)
MOSTLY OTHER PEOPLE DO THE KILLING [MOPPA ELLIOTT/PETER EVANS/JON IRABAGON/KEVIN SHEA] - This Is Our Moosic (Hot Cup 82; USA)
[ROBERT MUSSO With RAOUL BJORKENHEIM/ELLIOTT LEVIN/DAVE DREIWITZ/JOHN 'LUNAR' RICHEY/ERIC SLICK] BOB & FRIENDS - DMG 16th Anniversary At The Bowery Poetry Club - September 22 2007 (MuWorks CR; USA)
LARRY OCHS/ROVA SPECIAL SEXTET/ORKESTROVA - The Mirror World (For Stan Brakhage) [2 CD Set] (Metalanguage 2007)
PAULINE OLIVEROS/MIYA MASAOKA - Accordion Koto (Deep Listening 36)
EVAN PARKER & THE TRANSATLANTIC ART ENSEMBLE With ROSCOE MITCHELL/BARRY GUY/CRAIG TABORN/PAUL LYTTON - Boustrophedon (ECM 1873)
WILLIAM PARKER ORCHESTRA - Double Sunrise Over Neptune (AUM 47; USA)
WILLIAM PARKER QUARTET With LEWIS 'FLIP' BARNES/ROB BROWN/HAMID DRAKE - Petit Oiseau (AUM 50; USA)
MARIO PAVONE DOUBLE TENOR QUINTET With TONY MALABY - Ancestors (Playscape 11508)
PHANTOM ORCHARD [ZEENA PARKINS/IKUE MORI] - Orra (Tzadik 7718; USA)
MATANA ROBERTS - The Chicago Project (Central Control 1006; UK)
[HERB ROBERTSON/DAVE BALLOU/DREW GRESS/TOM RAINEY] MACROQUARKTET - Each Part A Whole: Live at The Stone NYC (Ruby Flower 06; USA)
ROVA SAXOPHONE QUARTET - The Juke Box Suite (Not Two 786; Poland)
ADAM RUDOLPH'S MOVING PICTURES - Dream Garden (Justin Time)
ANGELA SANCHEZ With MARC DUCRET/TONY MALABY/DREW GRESS/TOM RAINEY - Life Between (Clean Feed 128; Portugal)
ALEXANDER VON SCHLIPPENBACH TRIO With EVAN PARKER/PAUL LOVENS - Gold Is Where You Find It (Intakt 143; Switzerland)
ALEXANDER VON SCHLIPPENBACH & EDDIE PREVOST - Blackheath (Matchless 73; UK)
SCORCH TRIO [RAOUL BJORKENHEIM/INGEBRIGT HAKER FLATEN/PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE] - Brolt (Rune Grammofon 3074; EEC)
SECRET CHIEFS 3 [JOHN ZORN MASADA BOOK TWO] - Xaphan: 'Book Of Angels' Vol. 9 (Tzadik 7364)
MATTHEW SHIPP QUARTET With DANIEL CARTER/JOE MORRIS/WHIT DICKEY - Cosmic Suite (Not Two 798; EEC)
ALAN SKIDMORE QUARTET - Impressions Of John Coltrane: Live At The Fleece [2 CD set] (ITM 920006; Germany)
WADADA LEO SMITH'S GOLDEN QUARTET With VIJAY IYER/JOHN LINDBERG/RONALD SHANNON JACKSON - Tabligh (Cuneiform 270; USA)
CHRIS SPEED/CHRIS CHEEK/ STEPHANE FURIC LEIBOVICI - Jugendstil (ESP Disk 4048)
SPRING HEEL JACK [w/ ROY CAMPBELL & JOHN TCHICAI] - Songs & Themes (Thirsty Ear/Blue Series 57183; USA)
THE STONE QUARTET [JOELLE LEANDRE/MARILYN CRISPELL/ROY CAMPBELL Jr./MAT MANERI] - DMG @ The Stone Vol 1: December 22 2006 (DMG ARC 721)
THE THING [MATS GUSTAFSSON/INGEBRIGT HAKER FLATEN/PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE] With KEN VANDERMARK - Immediate Sound (Smalltown SJ 105)
THE THING [MATS GUSTAFSSON/INGEBRIGT HAKER FLATEN/PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE] With JOE McPHEE/THURSTON MOOREl - Now And Forever: The Thing (Tribute to Don Cherry)/She Knows/Gluttony/Live At Oya [3 CD + DVD set; Ltd Ed of 2000 copies] (Smalltown Superjazz; EEC)
KEITH TIPPETT/PAUL DUNMALL/JULIE TIPPETTS [DRISCOLL] - Dartington Trio: Live at the BBC/Live At The Vortex (FMR 133; UK)
TRIO X [JOE McPHEE/DOMINIC DUVAL/JAY ROSEN] - 10 Years Of Trio X Live: Limited Edition Box [7 CD set] (CIMP OL 5006-12; USA)
[KEN VANDERMARK/LASSE MARHAUG/PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE] FIREROOM - Broken Music (Atavistic 183; USA)
FRED VAN HOVE - Journey (PSI 08.03; UK)
TONY WILSON 6TET - Pearls Before Swine (Drip Audio 251; Canada)
JOHN ZORN - The Dreamers (Tzadik 7366; USA)
JOHN ZORN - FilmWorks XXII: The Last Supper [sndtck] (Tzadik 7371; USA)
JOHN ZORN//MIKE PATTON/TREVOR DUNN/JOEY BARON / MARC RIBOT - The Crucible (Tzadik 7372)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009 11:33:48 PM PST
in reply to nothing, something I lucked across on another board. One of the few times I've heard a youtube where the tone really comes across. Man I love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfM8R-kd7KY

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 10:55:39 PM PST
I've never heard either of these but they sound intriguing. particularly this one (at least to me).

solidarity unit, inc.
red, black & green
mte-52
http://www.eremite.com/discography/mte52.html

charles wesley shaw, jr. "bobo" percussions
richard martin guitar
oliver lake alto saxophone, flute
floyd leflore trumpet
joseph bowie trombone
carl richardson bass
clovis bordeaux piano
danny trice conga drums
baikida yaseen trumpet
kada kayan bass

1. something to play on
2. floreo
3. beyond the new horizon

"this concert was originally dedicated to jimi hendrix, & performed on the day of his death."

originally produced & issued by charles 'bobo' shaw himself, _red, black &
green_, by the band "solidarity unit, inc." documents what happened at "the bag
room" in st. louis, mo, the day jimi hendrix died. captured in a gloriously blunt & low-res recording that
is as stark as the b&w cover art, shaw & the ten piece group produce a raw,
teeming, clattering sound that never relinquishes. lake & bowie were by this
time already powerful soloists, & both declaim fervently & damn near
relentlessly over shaw's swaggering themes. dead at age 34 & recorded just four
times, guitarist richard martin's performance is a true revelation; as martin
leaps from blues idioms to screaming attacks to pure howling feedback, one
wonders if even sonny sharrock reached these places with the instrument.
furious kit & hand drumming, violently rattling little instruments, jabbing
percussive rhodes, thundering bass guitar, these guys don't hold back! easy to
say "lost underground free jazz classic," but that's the real story here.

the music was remastered from the best available sources by mike king
(reelrecordings.org), pressed on premium HQ-180 gram vinyl by RTI, & presented
in a heavyweight stoughton replica sleeve in an edition of 600. PROJECT PRODUCED WITH THE ARTIST'S FULL
PERMISSION & COOPERATION. for more on BAG:
http://press.umsystem.edu/fall2004/looker.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 10:56:17 PM PST
sunny murray
big chief
mte-51
http://www.eremite.com/discography/mte51.html

sunny murray drums
ronnie beer alto saxophone
h. le roy bibbs vocals
becky friend flute
beb guerin bass
francois tusques piano
alan silva viola, violin
kenneth terroade tenor saxophone

1. angels & devils
2. hilarious paris
3. now we know
4. angel son
5. straight ahead
6. this nearly was mine

recorded 11 january, 1969, paris

examples on record of sunny murray's enduring originality & influence as a
drummer are many (refer to eremite 14, 45 & 46, among others), but very few
recordings demonstrate his strikingly unusual voice as a band leader & composer.
none do so more spectacularly than his 1969 album _big chief_. unfortunately
it's been a sick collector's item since long before ebay. so it is with great
pride & satisfaction that eremite returns to our friends in the human clan this
long unavailable masterpiece. the
group assembled for this parisian studio date includes musicians from france,
south africa, jamaica, & the u.s.a., & the huge sweeping sound they conjure
while absolutely NAILING murray's highly irregular compositional structures is
as thrilling as free jazz gets. hart le roy bibbs appears once only in a wildly
memorable turn. everywhere & thru-out, murray uses the instrumentation's orchestral range to explore his fascination with the far
extremes of the frequency range. prepare your hearing for searing high-end
burn! the record resolves beautifully in a performance of 'this nearly was
mine' that manages to be both otherworldly & poignant. not only is_big chief_
one of murray's great achievements, it's one of the truly special recordings in
free jazz history. seriously. there is no greater love.

the music was fastidiously remastered from the best available sources by mike
king (reelrecordings.org), pressed on premium HQ-180 gram vinyl by RTI, &
presented in a heavyweight stoughton replica sleeve in an edition of 600.
PROJECT PRODUCED WITH THE ARTIST'S FULL PERMISSION & COOPERATION.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 6:50:38 PM PST
Here is the existing avant garde thread. While this music is not my first choice, I do dabble in it and visit the thread when a new post is added.

Do we really need to start another avant garde thread independent of this one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 7:00:43 PM PST
Bryce Jerlow says:
OK. Maybe I goofed. I saw no recent usage of these threads, so started the other one for the stated purpose. If it does not get used art all, I am fine with that as may well all of you.

Again, my purpose is to have like minds in similar anenas.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 7:18:33 PM PST
Spartacus says:
What I would really like to be able to do is go back through the entire 600+ threads out there to see if there are more like this. If there are any, I could add the links to the first post here like I did with the one other that I already found. Then we would have pretty much instant access to all of them from one point. Then anyone new showing up could be referred to the first post (if they didn't find it on their own) and they could browse to their hearts' content. I was sure mine wasn't the first, and I doubt that the other one I found was either. Maybe we could discuss this and split up the job. If one of us took the oldest one hundred, someone else 101-200, etc. we could cut down the amount of work required. Anyone interested?

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 9:33:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2009 9:34:17 PM PST
Spartacus says:
By the way, for anyone who is new and interested in this music there are two really good books that provide a lot of background in concentrated form. The first, This Is Our Music by Iain Anderson has been around for a good time and focuses mostly on developments in the fifties and sixties. The second, A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music by George E. Lewis was published only last year and focuses on the avant garde explosion that came out of Chicago in the '70s. Between these two books, the newcomer can quickly develop a knowledgebase that will provide the needed compass for all future navigations.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 4:29:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2009 5:41:31 PM PST
Spartacus says:
Every once in a while I run across something that I am shocked that I didn't know about before. Today that shock came while I was riding home from work listening to some music I had loaded on my iPOD. The recording was called Hollow Sea (2005) by a group called Transmission. It consisted of four tracks, all obviously original material and each track better than the one before. I had no idea who any of the musicians were, so I had to look them up when I got home. They are Colin Stetson (saxophones), Eric Perney (bass), and Ara Anderson (trumpet) The group is classed by CDBaby as Avante/Indie/jazz/rock and they are out of California. They have been making music together for over ten years and have worked with Tom Waits on his albums "Alice" and "Blood Money". They have recently relocated to New York and are currently touring with the Arcade Fire. If anyone knows more about these players, I would love to hear about them including any information on how they managed to stay hidden from me up to now.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2009 10:11:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 14, 2009 12:39:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2009 7:53:10 PM PST
Crikeydingo says:
Two other critically acclaimed bands which may not have been mentioned here are The Necks and Triosk (both from Sydney Australia).Unfortunately the latter have split up and are doing their own thing.By the way if you want a monthly update on all things avant-garde the British mag The Wire is recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2009 1:33:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2009 10:59:12 PM PST
Spartacus says:
I have 5 CDs by The Necks and 2 by Triosk and you are right that they both deserve mention here. I didn't realize they are both from Sydney. As usual, groups outside the US don't get much press here. I know The Necks have produced some very uncharacteristic music, especially when it comes to the length of the pieces I've heard. I was recently commenting on the fact that one of Freddie Hubbard's best albums is little known because it consist of four tracks with the shortest over 19 minutes. Nice to add someone from Stoned-On-Hemp, Surrey (Yah, right!) to the forum. Drop around again soon.

Dan

PS Is that Impala by way of Chevy?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 12:43:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2009 5:43:54 PM PST
Spartacus says:
I ran across an old thread this morning. A metalhead showed up looking for suggestions on jazz he might like. He got two pages worth. Things got off to a great start but started to go downhill towards the end (someone suggested he start with Louis Armstrong). A few items were things I was unfamiliar with ( I always get something on this forum). Anyway, to keep the link alive, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/jazz/forum/ref=cm_cd_pg_newest?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3DAG44NIZ0CDU&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx24R89RQTA4IMU&displayType=tagsDetail

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 2:49:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2009 2:49:37 PM PST
Robert says:
Dan speaking of avant garde i just listened to an album by a young Italian tenor saxist gianni gebbia called postille nel tempo only 2 cuts i didnt care for due to a miriam palma vocal trying to be like mnaria callas. where did they find her and what is she doing here? must be a favor for the local don, if you get a chance check him out// somewhat reminicent of ornette coleman
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  96
Total posts:  2444
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2008
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions