Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Jewelry forum

Sales Tax on Jewelry Purchase

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2007, 8:40:11 AM PST
W. Bush says:
Does anyone know whether or not sales tax is charged on purchases made in California? At 7.75% - 8.25%, on a purchase over $1,000, it makes a real big difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 3:46:31 PM PST
Bickerstaff says:
I live in CA, and I've bought a lot from Amazon. Amazon does not charge me any sales tax..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 11:22:02 PM PST
Arun Kumar J says:
Since Amazon has no physical store present anywhere,they dont charge sales tax....But remember,only items from AMAzon themselves are not charged.Other vendors charge Sales Tax as they use Amazon only as a mode of sale

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 3:40:06 PM PST
Not true. Amazon charges me sales tax. i live in washington. I just looked this up and amazon charges sales tax if you live in the following states: KS, KY, ND and WA

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 12:08:21 PM PST
R. Williams says:
This is the general rule but remember, in some states, you still owe sales tax on the item. It's just that Amazon is not required to collect it from you because they don't have nexus (physical presence) in your state. For example, in WI, you are "expected" to report all purchases made in other states on your personal income tax return and then calculate the tax, thereby increasing what you owe or decreasing your refund, whichever the case may be. Another thing to keep in mind is that an agreement is currently being worked on among 44 states to require companies to charge their customers state sales tax on behalf of the state in which the customer lives (if they live in 1 of the 44). This keeps stalling, so it may not be soon, but with internet sales increasing so rapidly, states have been losing a lot of revenue so of course they will try to close this loophole. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007, 1:51:32 PM PST
madman says:
Yeah, I keep hearing that.... but I thought sales tax was supposed to be paid by stores, who had the option of passing it on to customers or not. (Of course they usually do.) So how is it that it ends up due from customers on income tax? Yeesh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007, 4:50:51 PM PST
S. Miller says:
It is not the store's responsibility. Most states have what's called "SALES AND USE TAX." If you buy something in a store, the store charges you tax FOR the state. Even if the store (illegally) did not charge you tax, you are obligated by law to report your purchase to your state and pay the USE tax. Same goes for out of state purchases. You'll see the question on your Income Tax forms "Have you made out of state purchases totalling over $500?" or something similar. That's what that's about. Even if you didn't buy it in state, you're supposed to pay a tax to use it. Crazy, I know, but that's the government for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jewelry forum (173 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jewelry forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers