Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Text to Speech

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2011, 11:05:54 AM PDT
Madge says:
I turned on my Kindle and the Text to Speech went on my itself and couldn't be turned off. I tried rebooting and still no luck. I had to resort to resetting to factory settings. This worked. I had to reregister my Kindle, download my books from my archive and move to collections. Glad it worked but wonder if there was an easier way and if others have experienced this problem. Thanks.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011, 1:30:13 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
Was it in the home page or inside a book? If it's in the home page, you could turn it off by turning off voice guide in the settings. It might've gotten turned on somehow accidentally? Maybe a pet or child in the house hit the right series of button presses... :)

If it was happening in a book, were you not able to turn it off from the Aa menu?

Posted on Aug 2, 2011, 2:00:44 PM PDT
Patti Post says:
I have kindle for PC .. how do I get it to do text to speech ?

Posted on Aug 2, 2011, 2:22:33 PM PDT
The applications don't have text to speech

Posted on Aug 3, 2011, 7:01:13 AM PDT
L. Bonacci says:
If I want to listen to a book at night using the text to speech is there a way to have it set it to stop after a certain amount of time or if I fall asleep will it keep on going and going and going.....?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011, 5:20:25 PM PDT
Madge says:
TuxGirl,
It was happening inside a book and on the home page. The Aa menu was off. I didn't think to check voice guide in the settings. If it happens again, I'll check that. It was very strange. Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011, 6:09:22 PM PDT
Artist says:
L., TTS will keep reading even when the Kindle goes into sleep mode. That will happen with audio books and music, too.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011, 7:02:25 AM PDT
J. Fauda says:
does the text-to-speech function work in other languaje than english?

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 11:35:16 AM PDT
How do I turn off the advertizing? Having to view something I don't wish to b see really bugs me!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 12:33:11 PM PDT
Artist says:
Robert, you can't turn off the advertising. The reason you got the Kindle for less money was because you purchased the Kindle with Sponsored Screensavers and Special Offers. If you don't want the ads, and it's been less than 30 days since you purchased the Kindle, you can return it and buy the Kindle without ads. The wi-fi only unit is $25 more and the 3G/wi-fi unit is $50 more.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011, 6:16:23 PM PDT
Lady Ginny says:
I have the 3G/wi-fi unit, it was a Christmas present. It is well worth spending the extra $50.00 on to have it. I love my Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011, 2:49:33 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
You don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011, 2:51:30 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
No. Text to speech is an experimental function. It's beta. Beta means "not ready for prime time." You should expect it not to work perfectly or be very advanced. Amazon is clear about this and places it in the "Experimental" folder on your device.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011, 2:53:50 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
If you bought the Kindle with special offers you can't turn off the ads. That's why it was cheaper. It has ads. You can turn them off by buying the more expensive Kindle without special offers. If it bugs you, get a new Kindle without the special offers--which are ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011, 10:06:09 PM PDT
I don't mind the advertising. It does not do it while reading a book. I got mine with the advertsing. I saved 50. dollars. When your kindle goes to sleep it has advertising on it, just a picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011, 7:33:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011, 7:35:59 AM PDT
Did anyone ever answer about the timer... My dad is blind and this would be a great feature. Also it would be great if it was easier to turn on the read feature or leave it on all the time. Its a difficult button to find for an elderly blind person...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011, 7:52:28 AM PDT
ktjnemo says:
I dont know because I have a regular kindle, but if you turned off wi-fi when you don't need it ... maybe stop the special offers from downloading (saves battery too)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011, 1:16:27 PM PDT
My Kindle has the advertisements & I don't mind them at all. I actually get some really good offers for $ off of accessories & books. It's kinda like a screensaver that disappears when the Kindle is activated. It doesn't interfere with the reading pages at all. Not a big deal!

Posted on Aug 22, 2011, 6:36:52 PM PDT
Megan M. says:
Does anyone agree that the text-to-speech function leaves a lot to be desired? The voices are terribly robotic and have awkward timing. I realize it is still considered to be in the "experimental" phase, but this seems to have lasted quite some time. Just curious if anyone has heard about any future updates to improve its quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011, 10:49:37 PM PDT
largo6125 says:
You will be disappointed with the quality of text to speech. I originally thought it would be similar to the audio books that I have listened to from my library or books on tape that are read by actors. The text to speech is very monotone and expressionless and is difficult to listen to. FYI

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2011, 10:46:15 AM PDT
B. Burke says:
I have the Kindle with Special Offers, and rarely see the ads. When I turn it on, it goes to the page in my book I was reading, and when I turn it off, it turns off. I actually have to go to the ads on purpose to see them. If you actually read them, some of them are good deals. I bought a book and got a $10 credit on my Amazon account. I have another $5 credit with a purchase over $10. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and a lot of the ads are for discounts on Amazon. You might try reading them and getting the addtl info they email you. It can save you money if you are a diehard Amazon customer like I am

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2011, 10:49:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2011, 10:49:54 AM PDT
B. Burke says:
I agree with you, Phoenix, about the robotic voice. There is no inflection, and the voice doesn't stop for commas or periods. I couldn't handle it. Hopefully they will improve it. I thought it might be nice to be read to.......

Posted on Aug 26, 2011, 3:55:58 PM PDT
Text to speech would be better if it had a slight pause before starting a new paragraph, I understand its electronic voice thus no feeling or emphasis. I just hate it when it runs through the end and the start of a new paragraph like its in a race. Also I find if I have it engaged in text to speech and then turn off the power it keeps on reading, until I power up and go to the home page and select any other book, and then turn the power off.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011, 8:55:23 AM PDT
Ethel Davis says:
I LOVE text-to-speech. I just follow along, so if a word is oddly pronounced it is no bother. I kinda like the robot, sometimes he makes me laugh at his pronunciation. I listen and read along every morning while I have my coffee.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011, 8:56:20 AM PDT
Ethel Davis says:
I am not at all disappointed. I LOVE text-to-speech and accept it for what it is.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (831 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Aug 2, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers