Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _fab _fab _fab  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Worst book by an Author you Love

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 67 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 1:02:54 AM PDT
That was good. Shame they didn't put it at the beginning and save us a couple of hours of rubbish ...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 3:23:51 AM PDT
Yep, River Marked was a real stinker as compared to all the others in the excellent Mercy Thompson series. After all that time waiting for the Mercy and Adam to get together.... no proper wedding, no honeymoon, no nookie, no paranormal mystery etc, just an entire book consisting of Mercy wrestling with river monsters (why, I ask you!?)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 8:19:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 8:19:35 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 8:23:08 AM PDT
Jade Kerrion says:
All of David Eddings books after the Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium and Tamuli. For example, the Elder Gods was painful to read. I didn't even finish the first in the series.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 1:18:34 PM PDT
Tender Moon says:
77 Shadow Street: A Novel Dreadful, boring book that I never finished. I actually can't recall his last good book...so many of late have been stinkers. He used to be my favorite author. Alas, no more. I think the magic left when he lost Trixie.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 1:29:48 PM PDT
Karen Mead says:
And what really annoyed me is that we heard that Warren and Stefan were off doing something much more interesting, but we didn't get to see any of it whatsoever. How cool would it have been to hang out with those two while they trawled the gas stations and Denny's restaurants of the Pacific Northwest, looking for lost souls to add to Stefan's menagerie (and watch Scooby Do with!)?

Of course maybe Briggs is saving that story for one of those multi-author UF compilations or something...I kind of hate those.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 1:30:55 PM PDT
JD Goff says:
I can't read any of David Eddings' books. I find his writing terrible, though I shouldn't complain. If I had half his success I'd be happy. My biggest complaint isn't his writing style, but that he always has a god like character in his books, one who can overcome any obstacle with the right magic spell. No one important dies, even when they do, they come back by said magic spell. The deus ex machina formula means I never worry about what's going to happen, the characters, or the ultimate outcome. The good guys will always win because they have a magic miracle maker. For me, it makes for a very dull read.

In regard to book(s) I hate by a favorite author. It would have to be Asimov's revisit to his Foundation series decades after he wrote the original. He changed so many things that I loved about the originals, that I really felt disappointed by the sequels.

I think authors need to recognize that once the story is told, it doesn't fully belong to them anymore. Legally, yes, but readers invest emotionally in their story and characters, and bring their own interpretation to the book. I think an author has to respect his readers enough not to revisit a story years later and make radical changes to it. Do you hear that, George Lucas? One of the things we loved about Han is that he got the drop on Greedo.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 1:37:12 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
I doubt that Eddings wrote most of the books after the ones you referred to. Chances are that Leigh did and that's why the difference.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 6:06:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 6:06:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2012, 7:02:43 PM PDT
K. R. says:
Out of the Dark by David Weber

A book that I actually liked - but based on the reviews, other people who love the author hate it with a passion..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 8:21:33 PM PDT
I hated Out of the Dark because I hated the ending. The problem was it changed a very good story from what it was to something completely different. If he had created the ending as a complete book (like the sequel will undoubtedly be) it would have been good. If he had kept the end of the book in the same vein as the first 90% it would have been great. But what he did was like making Invasion LA but instead of the main characters finding and destroying the control ship Superman shows up and defeats the aliens.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012, 7:43:32 AM PDT
I HATED Tommyknockers by Stephen King and I'm a HUGE King fan. The story was good for a while, but then came the deux a machina crap and I hated it.
I used to like the Kim Harrison series The Hollows. Somewere along the way, I lost interest.
Koontz is another one. I just LOVED Watchers and Intensity: A Novel. After that, though, his books became forumalic for me. Good guy. Bad guy. Great dog. Good guy wins. Why bother reading if you already know the outcome? That being said though, I have read and enjoyed a couple of the Odd books.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012, 8:04:58 AM PDT
Janet says:
Janet Evanovich's last Stephanie Plum book. Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel

I don't know what happened, but I couldn't make it past the first couple of chapts.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012, 8:28:05 AM PDT
Brent Butler says:
Larry Niven's "The Ringworld Engineers". After the wonderful "Ringworld", other books in that series didn't measure up, but I though Engineers was the worst.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 10:14:05 AM PDT
I really liked Small World. I enjoy those novels set in academia.

Have you read Richardson Davies Cornish trilogy? Brilliant writer, major loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 10:18:08 AM PDT
Shelagh. You can stop being snide about me now. If you would like to have a further discussion about what I said, it would be much less passive agressive for you to insult me directly to my face, rather than on twitter, linkedin, and through absurd posts like this one. For someone who purports to be such a scrapper, you certainly appear to unwilling to engage in a direct confrontation.

My email address is contained in my profile. We can debate our relative educations, and which of the two of us has read more high quality literature privately. If you're not prepared to do that, then you can shut your friggin' pie hole or address me directly.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 10:20:52 AM PDT
I just love you, Mayhem. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 10:34:09 AM PDT
Me too!
<<<<hugs>>>>

Hey, Mayhem, novels set in academia are a favorite of mine too...I guess Malcolm Bradbury would be my obvious recommendation in this case (re David Lodge). I will take a look at Robertson Davies, though I have to shamefully admit so far I've always written him off as too difficult to get into - just an impression I had. Will pull my socks up and take a look. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 10:46:08 AM PDT
I found his Cornish trilogy much more accessible than the Deptford trilogy. It's actually one of my all time faves. I'd check it out of the library, though, if I were you, in case you decide it's a bit too much. Lots of references to Rabelais.

Have you read Crossing to Safety by Stegner, or Foolscap by Michael Malone? Both set in the hallowed groves of academia.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012, 10:47:27 AM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
The Scarpetta Factor (A Scarpetta Novel) by Patricia Cornwell.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 11:28:44 AM PDT
K. R. says:
"The Scarpetta Factor (A Scarpetta Novel) by Patricia Cornwell."

Yeah, that series started dropping off several books ago..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 12:08:52 PM PDT
Wayne Loney says:
Janet Evanovich is much too predictable. She needs to brings fresh ideas into her books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 12:49:53 PM PDT
ketterperson says:
@Rick:

I'm listening to "On Writing" (again), and in that King says that he actually tried to outline (or at least plan out) the plot of Insomnia. He thought it was a mistake, too. With his other books he just started with an idea and then let the characters take over.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012, 1:11:40 PM PDT
I loved The Talisman but was really disappointed with the sequel Black House. These are two of my favorite authors (Stephen King and Peter Straub), and I found it so disappointing to read the sequel and have a "meh" feeling about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 1:20:51 PM PDT
I completely agree, G. The Talisman was soooo good. Black House? Not so much.
I want my own Wolf. : )
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers