Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Good science fiction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2011, 4:10:51 PM PST
I have a voracious apetite for scifi. I will read history and suspense thrillers. But I really want to find some good scifi from the indies. I have read numerous books from independent writers, but the good ones are hard to find. They're usually at the bottom of the heap where Amazon can't find them.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Posted on Dec 5, 2011, 4:30:07 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I found a new indie author whose trilogy I just read. It's sort of YA. I can't say it was fabulous, but I'd give them 3 & 1/2 stars for the first two and maybe 4 & 1/2 for the third, and I think they're good enough to recommend that you check them out. They're by an Australian author. Stray (Touchstone) (book 1), Lab Rat One (Touchstone) (book 2), Caszandra (Touchstone) (book 3)

It's a "girl steps out of Oz/Australia and into a completely different world on a different planet" story. The alien culture is interesting, and it has a plot element that I am a sucker for (seeking the secrets of a lost ancient civilization and what happened to it).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011, 4:53:35 PM PST
The Chronicles Of Jenson Quest - The Rise Of Va'kaar Young adult, adventure and humor.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011, 7:52:12 PM PST
I just finished Starcrossed: Perigee - A paranormal romance trilogy and really, really enjoyed it. Had action (lots of action) freaky aliens and awesome concepts. Have a read of the sample :) it caught me pretty quickly.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011, 12:27:48 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 6, 2011, 2:54:29 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 6, 2011, 3:57:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 6, 2011, 4:45:26 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 6, 2011, 4:28:50 AM PST
Bibliofile says:
Connie Willis has been publishing more of her work independently/through small presses.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011, 2:48:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2011, 6:20:33 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 21, 2011, 11:13:26 AM PST
Zurb says:
Michael Hicks - In Her Name Omnibus edition (3 books in 1). Fantastic read. Great SciFi. Hicks is an extremely talented writer.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011, 4:31:38 PM PST
I've read the "In Her Name" series.... all of them. In fact, it is at the top of my list for this past year's reading. They are well written, engaging, and really pulled me in. I actually felt compassion for the antagonists. Yes, his writing is quite compelling.

If there are any indie authors here in the list writing scifi, let me know. I read a lot and love to post good reviews for the books I like.

Michelle Stone
Author of: Dimensional Shift: First Step and Dimensional Shift: Waters of Babylon

Posted on Dec 24, 2011, 8:32:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2011, 8:33:48 PM PST
pjf says:
not sure if you like hard scifi or the more character based scifi, but Marion Zimmer Bradley's Hunters of the Red Moon is free today. About a race that captures different types of aliens to be hunted. They are freed and given treasure ...if they survive.

Hunters of the Red Moon

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011, 8:48:14 PM PST
Merlyn says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011, 10:20:19 PM PST
T. Charles says:
Hey Michelle,

I've just published the first book, Thirst, in The Terminus Series. Reviewers are most welcome. The first two chapters are available as a sample.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011, 10:32:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2011, 11:58:10 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2012, 9:03:57 PM PST
AJ says:
I discovered this self published author in goodreads his books are doing quite well under science fiction series "Post-Human (Trans-Human)" and "Trans-Human (Post-Human)" I gave both of his books 5 stars. I really enjoyed them. fast pace novels!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012, 2:12:21 PM PST
Scott Hanson says:
Nice AJ i have to check those. I read Revelations The eyes of god by Taj Thompson. Never really come on forums but def had to for this book. any other good suggestions?

Posted on Jan 25, 2012, 3:40:46 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I just read The Wizard of Time (Book 1), which is a kind of sci-fi/fantasy cross. I don't know if the author is an indie or not, but he's very new. It's a good book, and I can recommend it. I'm going to give it 4 solid stars when I review it.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012, 3:45:03 PM PST
Matt says:
Vaughn Heppner and B. V. Larson have some great scifi stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012, 6:32:54 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 29, 2012, 3:13:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012, 6:45:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 26, 2012, 7:25:58 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 26, 2012, 7:06:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012, 7:07:19 AM PST
M. Whiteway says:
@ T.Charles

Since it doesn't even mention what the book is, I can't see how my post could be viewed as promotion in any meaningful sense of the word. It was intended to highlight the absurd scenario of someone who posts a thread, asking about a specific kind of book, but is not permitted to know that information. It's almost Stalinesque.

Actually, my post was also intended as a tongue in cheek reaction to your post of Dec 24, 2011 10:20:19 PM which does mention the title of your book.

Apparently it would seem that, to paraphrase George Orwell, "All authors are equal, but some authors are more equal than others".

Posted on Jan 26, 2012, 7:24:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012, 7:28:22 AM PST
T. Charles says:
Fair enough. Comment retracted. I only meant to underscore the fact that any kind of promotion is met with hostility here. I wasn't aware of that on the 24th. I'd still bet you a beer that your comment will be considered self-promotion. Clever self-promotion, but self-promotion nonetheless.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012, 8:26:34 AM PST
Julian, I've read most of Larsen's books. I've also read some of Heppner's. I'll have to revisit Heppner's list. He has several offerings.

I have enjoyed Larsen's series. They've been pretty well written and a wonderful escape. I like his hardened military characters.

AJ, I'll read the Trans Human books. I just started the first last night.

As for this recent self promotion squable... I started this list to find great scifi to read. Personally, I don't mind an author kindly offering his or her work, but I know the rules here. I read as much or more than I write. I think I must read 4 to 8 hours a day. I love a book that can keep me up all night!

Spaceships, soldiers, destruction, salvation, oh my! ;)

Michelle

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012, 8:58:43 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 29, 2012, 3:12:53 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 26, 2012, 3:06:41 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
Sci fi just seems like such an open genre that I do think it would be helpful to be more specific about the kind of sci fi you are looking for.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers