Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Are you a victim of the Amazon review mafia?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:44:51 PM PDT
Ellie May says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 14, 2012, 1:46:51 PM PDT
C. Irish says:
This thread is like a book itself. Whoa. Holy Moses. Full of conflict, paranoia, self pity and egomania... heroes, devils and....even, trolls. Wow. I am going to go back under my covers now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:47:01 PM PDT
Why is it that whenever someone says anything negative about an author, that author or others say the challenger is jealous?

Are these people so obtuse as to think the only reason for someone to point out problems with an author is because of jealousy?

Do they really think if I am criticizing an author for their poor grammar, abysmal spelling and complete disregard to punctuation that the reason is because I am jealous? Why on earth would I be jealous of incompetence?

Someone uploading a book onto Amazon does not inspire jealousy in me. Perhaps writing a brilliant novel would, if I had ever had any desire to write. But I haven't, so it doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:48:48 PM PDT
lwd says:
Anna -

Now you've made me sad. I still miss Mr. Rogers, and I think his was the only show that still used sockpuppets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:48:50 PM PDT
Perhaps it's time for our first experimental use of Troll-B-Gone!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:49:38 PM PDT
But you don't want to miss the season-ending cliffhanger!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:53:46 PM PDT
Rick G says:
"Why is it that whenever someone says anything negative about an author, that author or others say the challenger is jealous?"

Happens in a lot of "Creative" fields. Back when I was in school, the admin unveiled this "sculpture" called something pretentious like Learning Tree. It was basically two steel girders welded together in a T shape. When the student body as a whole started mocking it, we got the same crap back from the "sculptor" that we were all jealous because we weren't smart enough to recognize his genius.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:54:07 PM PDT
You know how Mr. Rogers always talked so slowly? I read that the speed at which Mr. Rogers talked is the speed at which children listen.

I've really found this to be true in my class. I often speak much too quickly, but even when I slow down (to what I think is slow) I still have to repeat myself.

I'm not sure I could speak as slowly as Mr. Rogers, but I keep trying.

P.S. Puppets are cool, no matter what they are made of. I get caught up in the magic of thinking that they are real just like kids do.

This year I had a stuffed zebra in class and he was a beloved member of the class. We treated him as if he were real and the kids loved it (so did I). It's amazing how much fun it is to use our imaginations this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:55:10 PM PDT
Lol! Sort of like The Emperor's New Clothes. I guess we just wouldn't be smart enough to see them!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:56:53 PM PDT
I don't know whether I fall into the group of "intelligent commenters" (sic) or "pathetic" - I've been called both in my time. However, I'd just like to make one or two observations on your post (which might be intelligent or pathetic, I don't know).

>>D.Brimson has proven his street cred long ago for his writing and investigative skills.<<

What investigative skills?

>>He doesn't have to provide evidence for anyone, nor do I. <<

Er ... why not? Are you both acting as prosecutor, judge, jury *and* executioner, permitting no counsel for the defence?

>>The next time you work with some of Hollywood's and television's biggest stars and also become a best-selling author, then let's see how humble you are<<

I would hope that I would retain sufficient humility that no-one I met or interacted with considered me a pompous a$$hat. Mixing with 'stars' or big league players in any industry doesn't make one God; and, I would venture to suggest, people in that position need to be even more careful about the impression they give to other people. Mr Brimson hasn't scored very highly there, I'm afraid.

>>But again, anyone with half a brain who does 10 minutes of research on him can figure out that he really is successful and deemed to be famous by many.<<

Good for him. He's still managed to antagonise a large number of 'lesser mortals' with his boorish behaviour. Should we excuse that simply because he is deemed to be famous by some other people? Boorish behaviour is boorish behaviour, and I would find it distasteful coming from anyone.

>>jealous<<

People like to use that word. It's amazing how often people develop an innate ability to see inside the minds, and read the innermost thoughts, of the other posters on these forums.

>>Calling out authors without proper evidence<<

Now, I have never been part of the BBA exposure crowd, but even I can see how this might make them laugh when, two paragraphs ago, you stated that D. Brimson and you are *not* required to provide evidence for anyone. (Just for the sake of clarity, let me paste your words again: "He doesn't have to provide evidence for anyone, nor do I.") I didn't realise that there were different sets of rules for different groups of people.

>>You have no idea what you are talking about, putting all indies into some heap trash pile.<<

I am not aware that any of the other posters in this or the other thread has ever put all indies into a heap trash pile. If they have, then I shall be offended ... but, to be honest, I'll probably get over it.

I assume that you are one of the people that D. Brimson has identified as hiding behind a pseudonym - something that he has stated as being less than honest and even (by implication - I don't think he actually used the word) cowardly. If your name really is "A Person", then I apologise for the error. Still, I'm delighted to see that you are so prepared to defend D. Brimson, despite not knowing him personally or professionally.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 1:59:12 PM PDT
lwd says:
Ah, but we would be smart enough to smilingly notice the Emperor's, er, shortcomings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:01:41 PM PDT
I don't think they understand that it is just because the reader would like to read a finished product.
Nothing less nothing more.

One of my posts has been deleted and I can't even remember swearing...arrgh

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:03:24 PM PDT
>>He doesn't have to provide evidence for anyone, nor do I. <<

But Marcus, if this is the case then I really can write my soon-to-be whirled famous claptrap about the real King Kong. 'Cuz I gots evidence, but now I don't got to show it to no one, no how!

>>Now, I have never been part of the BBA exposure crowd, but even I can see how this might make them laugh when, two paragraphs ago, you stated that D. Brimson and you are *not* required to provide evidence for anyone.<<

True that. And the ironic thing is, nobody in BBA exposes anyone without links to show the behavior that is being talked about. We wouldn't dare.

>>You have no idea what you are talking about, putting all indies into some heap trash pile.<<

Absolutely not. Many of us have said over and over that we do not put all indies (or all anyone) in the same group. I have many friends who are indie authors and I respect and admire them greatly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:04:36 PM PDT
It could have been the a-word. Ammy bots sometimes catch onto the disguise ones, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:08:53 PM PDT
Grandma NC says:
Please know that I didn't mean it as an insult. Just makes a difference in the meaning of your post. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:11:57 PM PDT
Chuckle..good post.

Most of us 'readers' do not place all indies into the same category of the DEFCON 1-3 Badly Behaving (yes I stole that from the Douthit Crybaby site).
Far from it, I hardly buy any trad. pub anymore, because it is always the same old stuff. The newbies are writing and creating really good books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:12:34 PM PDT
>>But Marcus, if this is the case then I really can write my soon-to-be whirled famous claptrap about the real King Kong. 'Cuz I gots evidence, but now I don't got to show it to no one, no how!<<

It's on pre-order already ... Having been enlightened by that comment, I shall soon be producing my new treatise that explains, in great detail but without any corroborating evidence whatsoever, that Abraham Lincoln was not assassinated in 1865, but in fact was best man at John Wilkes Booth's wedding, and himself went on to assassinate JFK in 1963.

>>nobody in BBA exposes anyone without links to show the behavior that is being talked about. We wouldn't dare.<<

That's true. I should have thought to include that in my own commentary. Doh!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:12:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012, 2:20:39 PM PDT
"It" appears QUITE invested in protecting the esteemed (by his own bloated self-regard) D. Brimstone. Interesting? Not really, because it is more of the "same old, same old" around here; we have NEVER seen this behavior before, how original. What a clever ruse? No.

ETA: "ruse"; auto-correct be darned!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:13:35 PM PDT
Okay....I *guess* it could be done.
But I'd have to use the 1-800-contacts defense - our forums are too speshul for that treatment!

[j/k, j/k, j/k, j/k, j/k...]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:17:08 PM PDT
No worries, it made me laugh.
I type quickly and often make mistakes. I actually made up a new word on one of the threads the other day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:20:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 23, 2012, 11:31:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:25:02 PM PDT
Splinker says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:27:14 PM PDT
This will, one day ... but the sequel will just be the same as this one, although perhaps with the paragraphs moved around a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:27:36 PM PDT
Grandma NC says:
The funniest thing is that I have been outed on the forum as an editor. Now, if I make a mistake in my post, I get immediate nasty replies to let me know it. Just like everyone else, I sometimes type these responses quickly and hastily, so I don't worry about the mistakes. After all, I don't plan to publish my forum posts as a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 2:27:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012, 2:28:53 PM PDT
Ellie May says:
You go to goodreads and find the best indie author books. You look at the books that have won awards. You see what your actual human friends and colleagues have read on Facebook and pinterest. Dude it's not that hard to find a good book. Indie authors stick toether too. Find one on Facebook and you find six or more. Depends on genre. I love New Adult and Young Adult and Horror so it's easy for me. NAAlley is a great website for NA books and YA links. Rhiannon Frater is good for horror as an indie author who just got picked up by TOR. If you depend on hot air on amazon you will be charged for trash. If you comb the internet through like you would in a bookstore it's pretty easy.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  180
Total posts:  6170
Initial post:  Jul 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers