Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer Discussions > Kindle Help Forum

Disable carousel, or at least remove items from Kindle Fire carousel

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 235 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2011, 9:34:58 AM PST
Dennis says:
Is it possible to disable the carousel on the home screen of my Kindle Fire? If not, how can I control what shows up on it? I don't want many of the items on my carousel, and would like to delete them, but 'press-hold' only gives me the option to 'Add to Favorites'.
Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 19, 2011, 1:02:36 PM PST
perrodelmal says:
You can't remove an item from the carousel, but you can change which items are displayed first by opening new items on your Kindle Fire. The carousel will update to display your most recently accessed items first.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011, 4:53:05 PM PST
Ben Carter says:
Well, that's goofy. What if you just don't want to see the thing? Ever?

Posted on Nov 20, 2011, 8:13:15 PM PST
Dennis says:
So, everything that I do, every song that I play, every app that I open - gets stuck on the carousel. Is there a limit to how much is on it? Will I have to scroll thru 200 icons to get to what I want? And this carousel will always take up 1/2 of my home screen? How about letting me use a carousel that's 1/2 or 1/4 that size, so I can see more of my favorites without scrolling?
It baffles me that I'm stuck with this. I understand that it's Amazon's take on a clever UI - but I hate being locked into their interpretation of how it should work.
This may be a deal breaker for me...

Posted on Nov 20, 2011, 8:18:40 PM PST
ShirleyKat says:
Can you just ignore the carousel? With the options at the top and favorites at the bottom you can get to the stuff you want easier than with the carousel anyway. It's useless to me too -- sort of like a trash can of stuff I've finished with.

I'd agree to a small ribbon at the bottom, no more than 1 inch tall if we could just have the rest of the space as a real desktop with icons and no fake shelves.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011, 8:23:16 PM PST
TuxGirl says:
Use the feedback mechanism in the fire settings to tell amazon your feelings on the carousel.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011, 10:16:02 PM PST
Dennis says:
@TuxGirl - thanks, I did that. I was unaware of the feedback mechanism.

@Shirley - I don't know how one can ignore 1/2 the home screen, but I'll try... :/ I agree, a 1 inch carousel would be plenty.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011, 5:16:02 PM PST
midwestgal says:
Catousel is irritating. Should be able tl.modify easily!!

Posted on Nov 21, 2011, 6:06:32 PM PST
MCOEP19027 says:
I am also annoyed by the carousel showing everything I have done recently on my kindle fire. It feels like an invasion of my privacy even though I don't do anything I can't show everyone. Even sending feedback to Amazon through the Feed mechanism on the KF shows up on the carousel! And I do not want to see every book I own on the carousel! There is a reason why I choose which book I want on which of my Kindle. Even the first generation Kindle I have did not have this annoying "feature". I'm holding out hope that Amazon will address the carousel and book folder issues with a software update before I decide to return my Kindle Fire.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011, 8:16:36 PM PST
amazonmom says:
Amazon, I want to delete the carousel. Bad design.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011, 3:22:06 AM PST
To delete applications and videos from your carousel go to the top of your kindle fire click the +more button, go to applications click filter by all applications. Scroll down to Appmanager and click clear data. This will not delete your books but other things yes.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011, 4:11:16 AM PST
Looks like Cyanogenmod is in my Fire's future. Don't like the carousel, and I can't remove the Facebook app.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011, 5:11:34 AM PST
voltzgj says:
I like the carousel, but that is just me

Posted on Nov 22, 2011, 8:21:18 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
I found that you can keep adding favorites and cover up the carousel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 9:11:29 AM PST
iphie says:
How many favorites do you need to add?

Posted on Nov 22, 2011, 9:29:04 AM PST
Ben Carter says:
Thanks for the heads up but I think you are missing the point. There are those of us that do not want to have to add 50 favorites (or may not even have that many). What we would like is a clean and functional interface and the Carousel is not it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 9:30:48 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
I'm up to 3 shelves which would be a minimum of 9 items.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 9:34:10 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
Ben, I'm not missing the point. I'm offering a potential workaround if you want to use it. I think there is a use for a tiny strip at the bottom (about half the size of a shelf of favorites) that serves as your history. We don't need half the screen devoted to it and those giant icons. I want a blank desktop with room for more icons than the wasted space of those shelves.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 9:35:38 AM PST
iphie says:
Oh, so it doesn't actually go away it's just higher up than where your favorites are... well that's helpful but not the greatest. Give me folders on the shelves to sort my favorites into collections and remove my carousel feature and all will be well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 9:46:08 AM PST
You can replace the carousel. It's just a launcher app. Do a Google search for replacing the launcher on the Kindle Fire. It's not difficult and does not require rooting or modifying the software.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 10:01:07 AM PST
Ben Carter says:
ShirleyKat, I am not going to debate whether you are missing *the* point. I can however state that you are missing *my* point from the post *I* made. From my standpoint I see no use for the carousel for the way I intend to use the Kindle that *I* purchased. I also see no use in having to load a bunch of 'favorites' on *my* home screen, that in reality are not *my* 'favorites', just as a potential work around to make the Carousel go away. It defeats the purpose of having a clean home screen with a minimum of distracting apps. Also, it is a matter of *my* privacy. I may prefer a blank page. I may not want anyone to see what apps I have on *my* kindle.

In short, *I*, and I *believe* many others on this forum are not looking for a work around. They want to be able to customize their personal home screen on the kindle fire they purchased to suit their individual wants and needs. Not have the home screen laid out according to some Amazon Execs vision.

Even Bill Gates had enough sense to let you customize a Windows Desktop.

Once again, thanks for the heads up on this potential work around and I hope this clarifies *my* point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 10:06:08 AM PST
Ben Carter says:
Actually I installed Go Launch. When I set the home screen to go launch default it blanked out. Not good. At that point I pulled the app until I could find something I trusted a bit more or Amazon came up with something.

I would be careful, and this is just me, sending some of our less technical brothers and sisters out onto the internet to find 'fixes' for this problem. You can void the warranty.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to wait until Amazon comes up with a solution. I am sure they have noted our concerns and will come up with a fix to customizing their launcher.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 10:09:20 AM PST
Ben Carter says:
Hmmm .... I did not think of individual folders to further organize different apps such as utilities, entertainment, etc.

Good call.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011, 10:15:32 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
That's funny. I had installed ES File Explorer a couple days ago when I thought I needed it to access uploaded videos (according to an article I read). Today, Go Launcher EX is on my recommendations (though disabled for Fire when I actually display its product page).

Posted on Nov 22, 2011, 10:25:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2011, 10:25:43 AM PST
Cars&Guitars says:
I can't delete the video I watched last weekend. I tried everything. It's still there. I also want to delete my music albums, too. This is getting annoying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Help Forum
Participants:  140
Total posts:  235
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers