Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle on a cruise ship

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2009 9:34:49 PM PST
kimjharvey says:
We're going on a Carnival cruise to Mexico. Has anyone tried downloading books on a cruise ship? Is it possible and if so are there extra charges to do this?

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 9:35:45 PM PST
kimjharvey says:
By the way...We'll be on carnival splendor and I have a kindle 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 9:42:10 PM PST
Going in Feb? How bout you! I will taking my new Kindle 2

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 10:01:13 PM PST
Download lots of books before you go. International downloads won't work on a United States Kindle Amazon account

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 10:08:28 PM PST
KindleKat says:
You are better off pre loading your books because unless you have the K2i and go through the trouble of changing countries it just isn't worth it and can cause it's own problems. Just be glad you only have to pack the K2 instead of tons of books.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 10:29:46 PM PST
Thanks for the infor!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 10:45:10 PM PST
Hey! I'm going on the Carnival Splendor on Feb 7th to Mexico too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 11:05:03 PM PST
kimjharvey says:
We're going January 3rd! This is rescheduled from April when our cruise was cancelled due to swine flu!

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 11:07:10 PM PST
Please note that:

1) The Global Kindle can connect to any Whispernet in the world but you'll have to pay roaming charges for downloading if it's not the US Whispernet.

2) If you change your address to a non-US address, you won't be charged but all the ebooks in the non-US Kindle Stores cost at least $2 higher and the catalogue is smaller.

3) If you bought a kindle book while your address is US, you will be charged $1.99 to download it over Mexico's Whispernet even if you change your address to Mexico prior to downloading. The book will be labeled as having been bought by a US resident.

4) You will not likely be able to connect to the Whispernet while at sea but Mexico and the Caribbean islands do have Whispernet.

5) You can browse, buy and download kindle books using any computer with internet connection and you can transfer the books to your Kindle via USB. There is no charge for that. It's best to try that at least once before leaving the country to make sure it works for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 4:55:26 AM PST
I just did a Thanksgiving cruise on the Carnival Victory and I took my kindle. I downloaded the books before I left. When I did turned the wireless on, just like a cell phone, it searches for a network. Needless to say, out in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, there is no network. Enjoy your cruise and happy reading!

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 5:43:24 AM PST
B. Langner says:
Kim,

Me too! That is too funny. See you onboard! ;)

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 5:56:36 AM PST
From what I've read on similar threads you might have to pay to use the internet...but if this isn't true for your cruise you could also use your USB cable to download books. I've DL'd books that way just fine...although those times weren't on a "pleasure" cruise.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 7:10:50 AM PST
I love my Kindle but..... when in the world are you gonna find time to read on a cruise? I was lucky to find time to sleep when I went on mine. Cheap way to vacation and the most wonderful way to travel.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 7:31:42 AM PST
Longtime Kindle cruiser (we've had them for 23 mths). We take 30 day
repositioning cruises and average a book a day--thank God for Kindle! We don't donwload while at sea--currently have 124 books loaded.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 10:07:03 AM PST
KindleKat says:
Freda, I read tons on a cruise. Days at sea, by the pool, on my balcony at night or with a cup of coffee in the morning. Not to mention beaches we visit. Of course, I don't join every activity they offer, I go to relax with the family.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 11:19:17 AM PST
I took my Kindle on my cruise to the Eastern Carib. last November. Besides being an excellent conversation starter, it was much easier and lighter to carry all my reading material. I bought an internet package and used my laptop on board. I did download some books while on the cruise and then to my Kindle when I returned to US. They were free books that I was afraid wouldn't be available free by the time I returned home. I had plenty of reading material loaded on Myki before we left the port. Don't forget your quart size ziplock bag as a rain coat!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 11:22:12 AM PST
kimjharvey says:
I read a lot too. Especially since we don't drink or gamble.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 2:04:10 PM PST
I have to admit, If I hadn't been on my 1st cruise and wanting to take part in EVERYTHING I would have had time to read. Especially on the longer cruises.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 2:23:49 PM PST
Bonny Suter says:
My sister and mom just gave me a k2 for Christmas and I will be taking it on my Carnival Dream cruise in February. I will make sure I load moe books than I can possibly read before I go. No need to pay more when it isn't necessary. BTW, my big sis rocks...she had a k1 and gave it to our mom when she got a k2. Then they decided to get me one!!! (Sorry to get off topic.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 2:30:55 PM PST
Welcome to the forum little sister!

And yes, your cruise was in mind when we bought your gift. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions