Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

error message - Application "Amazon Kindle" is not responding

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2012, 5:49:09 AM PDT
Tried to open newly purchased book and after the first 3-4 pages I rec'd the SORRY. Application "Amazon Kindle" is not responding. I tried an older book that I have previously read with same results. Have retried several time
Finally have time to read and the e-reader is not responding. Anyone else experiencing this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012, 5:54:11 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Which Kindle or Kindle app are you using?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012, 2:35:04 PM PDT
BeHappy says:
I'm using a Kindle Fire and I am having the exact same issue with a book I downloaded today. Very frustrating. Error popup: Sorry Application "Amazon Kindle" is not responding. I'm given the choice to 'Force close' or 'Wait'. If I select wait, I am still unable to scroll, and then the error message pops up again. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012, 4:12:15 AM PDT
Same problem and setting it to factory standards did nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012, 4:39:12 AM PDT
If resetting the Kindle back to factory does not solve the issue, then I would be contacting Kindle support. Click on help at the top or bottom of the page and then the contact us button on the next page.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012, 7:15:16 PM PDT
redstarket says:
Same here doesn't work. How do I set kindle in factory more or whatever u call it?

Posted on Oct 4, 2012, 1:06:43 PM PDT
M. Gunther says:
We are having the same issue - any fixes?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012, 6:30:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012, 6:47:12 PM PDT
redstarket says:
Got it! Guys hold the power button on your kindle for 20 secede then turn it back on. It worked for me.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012, 9:43:39 PM PDT
I'm having the same problem. If I press wait, it stays frozen and close: when i reopen it, it does it again... I need my kindle back, it is my life...

Posted on Oct 6, 2012, 7:55:08 PM PDT
Katy Johnson says:
having the same problem....holding down the power button does not work

Posted on Oct 7, 2012, 4:40:42 AM PDT
I called customer service and they had me clear the Kindle data and do a hard reset. It's still giving me the error message. It's only in the book I am reading now - my old books don't give me the error. I tried deleting the book from the Kindle and reinstalling it. That didn't work either.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012, 8:21:09 PM PDT
Me neither.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012, 8:21:49 PM PDT
Same here. I think its stupid software... Ergh.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012, 11:07:21 AM PDT
B. Sanai says:
I'm using a Kindle Fire too, and I am having the same problem with a book I downloaded a week ago. I get the same error "Amazon Kindle" is not responding. I'm given the choice to 'Force close' or 'Wait'. If I choose wait, it just goes blank. It works for older books though. Any help will be much appreciated.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012, 12:10:16 PM PDT
Was the software updated before this started happenning? If so, you may be able to go into your settings and roll it back to a previous version. If you reset to factory standards, DON'T allow the app to auto-update.

Just a stab in the dark here, but let me know what you find if you try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012, 3:17:55 AM PDT
M. Gunther says:
We found that the problem went away on its own. The book that was giving us the error is working again. Very strange.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012, 8:27:55 PM PDT
Trout says:
I was having the same problem and found this in another thread. It worked for me.
Take care.

Downloading corrective book updates:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx1OS524YVFQBFJ

Posted on Dec 18, 2012, 7:31:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012, 7:55:00 PM PST
Noel McHugh says:
Same thing is happening to me with a kindle fire. Seems to happen with all books. Have another identical fire on same account that can read these books just fine. Went to manage my kindle and didn't see any corrective book updates.

Just reset to factory defaults and that seemed to fix it.

used this cnet how to: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57343773-285/how-to-erase-a-kindle-fire-and-regift-it...if-you-want/.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012, 2:01:47 PM PST
GeorgieG says:
Worked for me too! Thanks!

Posted on Jan 13, 2013, 3:36:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013, 3:39:28 PM PST
DJ says:
I was reading when error message popped up "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, deleted the item and download it from Archived Items." it had a close button. When i pressed on the close button nothing happens. The book was a loan from the library. I could read it on my computer and download it to another tablet. When I finished I returned it and deleted from my Amazon account. However I still can't get the error message to close. I turn off the kindle, charged, nothing works, it like it froze up. I have just a regular Kindle, alittle over 1 year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 1, 2013, 8:26:26 AM PDT
i just had the "application error", initially did a quick turn off, but didn't solve it.

Then I did the 20 seconds press, that put it into stand bye mode, then it was sorted. "I Bunny, again am Happy", make a popular 5 word statement :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers