Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New Kindle Fire HD in Ireland..??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 152 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2012 6:35:29 AM PDT
paulmgn says:
Hello, Will the new Kindle Fire HD be available in Ireland.? As the older kindle fire was not available. Pls let me know.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 6:33:50 AM PDT
cozzy says:
Doesn't look like it so far Paul...not great business if you ask me, apple devices are available worldwide, i thought Amazon wanted a piece of that pie, not likely now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 6:36:04 AM PDT
The Fire's are slowly being spread around Europe, you can already see them announced on the France, Germany and UK sites. This is a good indication that they'll become available in other countries in the future as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 6:58:12 AM PDT
paulmgn says:
i got a message with usual marketing fluff..saying it can be bought on the .co.uk market, which is useless to anyone in Ireland. We seem to be the poor cousins yet again, and get left out when it comes to cloud devices from amazon and "media Distribution rights"...bla bla...all that means is they could not be bothered to even provide us kindle for the Irish market. Pity really.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 5:23:42 AM PDT
Robert Allen says:
I agree, I am getting more and more frustrated buying for Kindle reader in Dollars as well , and then there are books that can be got in the US and UK on Kindle, like "Kill Decision" that is not available In the Irish region.
This , XBOX Music/Zunepass , Pandora etc, these companies cannot care less aboout the Irish market as we are way to small to be significant.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 6:04:45 AM PDT
paulmgn says:
Robert, i fully agree, for Amazon not to have a Amazon.ie domain is a hint at how much they DON'T value any of our business from Ireland. I hope someone in management reads these posts, and understands how frustrating it is to open your amazon home page and see an announcement about the new device, only to know its out of our reach.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 6:13:11 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
could be worse - you're more likely to get it than someone in the Kindle free zones (islamic countries, China, Malaysia, Singapre, North Korea, etc) or those in a country where other fonts are most common (Japan, Russia, etc) and there aren't a lot of books available in their country's language

I think the emails advertising ebooks are more discouraging beacuse a lot of them aren't available or are priced way more than the sprice shown in the email

There has to be some sort of legal reason that the UK store doesn't, won't or can't take you under their wing (the french store can serve Belgium, Monaco, and Switzerland)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 7:19:08 AM PDT
Robert Allen says:
The opposite there of what you think. Because of market size , those countries, at least the ones that have more open trade, are more likely to be taken in by amazon. They have more heads then Ireland has, and if amazon found the killer reason for them to be there, they would do it quickly.

There is no legal reason I know of not to be part of Amazon.co.uk, apart from paying in Sterling is a pain as well. I also know from working in Multinationals, its easier have the UK with Sterling bill and transact in Sterling. Conversion is a pain for billing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 7:33:47 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I really think it has to do with legalities - the Canadians can't get the Fire, not can the Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans

Amazon has to set up a presence in your country (is there an irish amazon site?), then set up a kindle store. Both the Australians and the Canadians are ahead of the game in that respect and I see reports that India has a Kindle Store now (2nd largest group of english speakers in the world according to some reports)

Canada and Australia have problems with their governments trying to protect and encourage local publishers and industries and in the case of Canada, Kobo instead of Amazon ereaders.

Pardon my rambling, but like you said, because of market size they're gonna go after the big markets first, secondary has already occured, then they're gonna go for the third tier. But, the fire requires a lot more effort in getting local broadcasting rights and that's hampered by the other types of digital media and finding carriers for them. Can y'all view BBC broadcast over a PC w/o any extra efforts? If not, they're going to have to deal with Irish broadcasting rights.

I do hope y'all get it and soon - especially the rest of the world because I may be in a Fire Free zone on my next assignment.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 8:03:55 AM PDT
Robert Allen says:
No, bbc iPlayer does not work here. Thats interesting that Canada does not have it, that really sucks.

Our kindle store is the US, sold from .com , but not all the book content works properly either.
anyway , I joined the library there on Saturday, so that might help.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:10:19 AM PDT
If I bought the kindle fire HD and had it shipped to a family member living in the UK and had them send it to me then, would any of the online services work in Ireland ie Film4 etc?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 2:19:38 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
no, not unless you could find some third party apps to sideload

you'd be able to buy books and surf the web, though

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:26:50 AM PDT
Oh I see, are there much in the way of 3rd party apps that you can get to work on the Kindle Fire? Also I am told using Parcel Motel is a better way to have items shipped to Ireland from certain sites that normally dont allow it. (IE Parcel Motel Depot is in Belfast and they then send it to an ROI drop for you.)

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:34:20 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I beleive that there are (I'm in France, so I'm not really up on this model yet) - getjar perhaps?

maybe someone will come along who can help with this

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 4:45:55 AM PDT
paulmgn says:
John, Parcel motel has numerous hotels in Dublin, one only a mile from my house. But the fact that we have to do all this to get a kindle, and still not have the full media from amazon available to us, that make me very frustrated with them.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:55:14 AM PDT
I am hoping to buy a kindle fire by getting someone to buy me one and post it over. Do anyone know what i will be entitled to do on this. I have read that you can still buy and download books which is the first reason to buy it but i would love to be able to surf the web as well. How do you register it? On amazon it says that it is registered automatically to the buyers account but if thats so will i be able to register it in my name once i receive it. I have an amazon account and buy frequently from the site and think its very unfair for irish residents not to have this available to them when we purchase all year round from the,.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:03:32 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
surfing the web will still work

buy it as a gift and it will come unregistered - that's how I bought my Kindle Touch in France and registered it to amazon.com

and it's yet another thing y'all can blame the brits for

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:05:19 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
So it is unfair that you cannot get your toys when you want them?? Poor poor pitiful you....

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:50:21 AM PDT
Hi CBRetriever thanks for that info. If I get them to buy it as a gift then should be fine. I don't blame you's for not been able to get it I buy a lot off amazon and think there great just wish we could be able to download stuff from the site. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 2:12:58 PM PDT
Attracta,
sign up to parcel motel and you can add a northern address to your amazon account, I did this and am writing this on my kindle fire here in Laois. you can buy books surf the web, and if you like put videos on it too mp4 format only. you cant stream the likes of film4 etc like our uk neighbours but I am very pleased with mine. using parcel motel the kindle will be registered to you. any questions just ask me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:51:38 PM PDT
Hi John
I have a cousin in England who will buy it for me and send it here but I was afraid to chance it in case I wouldn't be able to download books onto it. At minute I use kindle on iPhone and I can download from https://amazon.com. If I get him to buy this for me as a gift and he'll send it over do I just register my own amazon account? And there is no problem downloading books is there? Thanks

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:05:53 PM PDT
Anyone who is considering buying a Kindle Fire when it is not available in their home country should be aware that you will not have access to most of the Fire's functionality. You will not be able to purchase apps, music and video from Amazon.

Why not just buy a Nexus 7 or similar android tablet and load the Kindle App on it? You would have greater flexibility with customizing the device to work for you, rather than buying a device you know is not going to work properly in your country.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 3:45:27 AM PDT
hi,
yes i guess the gift option will let you have it come to you unregistered, yes you can get books from amazon. also i had some success side loading apps onto mine, facebook, ebay, some games etc. To people on here who say the nexus is a better option, well, it may be, it depends on what you want. if you want to customise you tablet then its not the kindle you want, however the trade off is the kindle screen is slightly better and has twice the storage. Also the kindle is a little cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 4:40:46 AM PDT
Hi John
I've decided to go with the kindle fire do I need to buy cables separately to charge it or does that come with the kindle. I was confused because some people were saying that you need to buy the charger separately. If I can download books and use wifi and have Facebook I'll be happy enough. Can you download your own music from your computer onto the kindle? I know I won't get to download off amazon but I have all my music stored on my laptop so would be great to be able to put my own music onto it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:10:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 12:11:17 PM PDT
It comes with a cable which you can hook to your pc and transfer your music or photos, the pc will charge it too but takes several hours, you might need to buy a mains plug with a usb port on it to plug that cable into to charge from the mains. Most smart phones have a charger that will fit the kindle too. My HTC phone charger works with the kindle and charges it within in 4 or so hours. Books Facebook and wifi is no problem with this tablet.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Battery life for basic Kindle (am I doing something wrong 2 1 minute ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3298 5 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4971 1 hour ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4414 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5755 1 hour ago
Kindle Fire Slow WiFi 91 1 hour ago
Play Music by Folders? 2 1 hour ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 763 1 hour ago
kindle fire HD 7" randomly turns off 382 1 hour ago
Enable Javascript on Kindle Fire 146 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  152
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 30, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions