Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

cloud storage for kindle fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2011, 8:08:23 AM PDT
if the kindle fire has free cloud storage then why would they try to sell you a $Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi20.00 package to download music

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 8:11:43 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Probably because the Kindle Fire just includes: "Free cloud storage for all your Amazon content". Content not from Amazon would not be included, and they charge you for storing it in their cloud .

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 8:37:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2011, 8:38:49 AM PDT
♥ Ann says:
Your amazon account includes 5GB of free cloud storage. For $20 per year more, you get 20GB of storage space, plus unlimited space for your mp3 music files. If you don't need that much space, no need to spend the extra.

See https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 8:42:52 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 8:45:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2011, 8:46:16 AM PDT
C. Claiborn says:
They're not selling it to you for Amazon music downloads. Those are freely stored in Amazon Cloud Player forever, with no limit.

They are offering a 20 gig/yr plan for all of the music you currently own--music you may not have purchased from Amazon--which you can upload to the Amazon Cloud Drive/Amazon Cloud Player

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 8:47:33 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Because a lot of people have other things they want to store that was not purchased from Amazon. Sounds like you don't need it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 9:11:47 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
For example, I uploaded my entire iTunes library -- over 100GB of music, mostly ripped from my own CDs over the years -- to the Amazon Cloud. (It took days.) This storage is some of what my $20 buys, and now I can stream any of it to any device I have that can connect to the Internet.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 11:51:45 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 11:52:59 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
The Kindle part of the Cloud is called "Manage Your Kindle."

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 11:58:26 AM PDT
Get this straight...if you sign up for the cloud, you automatically get 5gig free storage for whatever you want to upload. If you want or need additional storage for whatever else you want to upload, Amazon has various plans for additional gigs at a cost. If you buy digital content from Amazon, it's all stored in the cloud, no cost. What is so difficult to understand?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 12:02:32 PM PDT
Erich says:
"What is so difficult to understand?"

Quantum physics is hard to understand. This isn't as hard as that. Well... maybe for some people.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 12:04:43 PM PDT
How can I transfer my music from iTunes over to Kindle Fire?

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 12:10:59 PM PDT
Mouhamad says:
I have a quick question I hope somebody can answer regarding the cloud storage thing. I know the Fire has 8GB but lets say if I buy a movie, will I be able to store it on the cloud without it wasting my Kindle Fire 8GB space? Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 12:35:36 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
If you buy it from Amazon Instant Video, it will be stored free in Amazon's Cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 12:37:01 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
You can manually copy the files (MP3 or non-DRM AAC) to the Fire via the USB cable. Or you can upload them to the Amazon Cloud and then stream and/or download them to the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 1:06:44 PM PDT
Mouhamad says:
Thanks. But it won't waste my Kindle Fire space correct? It'll only waste cloud storage?

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 1:29:21 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
When they are on the Fire they will use storage space on the Fire. When they are not, they won't.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 1:38:52 PM PDT
Thanks so much, "R!" You are a big help. LHL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 1:58:15 PM PDT
Missy Pease says:
Very impressed with your music collection. I, too, have an extensive music (over 400 GB) collection and have always used iTunes to catalog, manage, and create playlists. Genius and Smart are invaluable when managing that amount of music. However, I recently switched from my iPhone to an Android based phone and didn't realize what I was giving up when it came to the ease of transferring my music and playlists to my phone by having to use DoubleTwist. All that said, I am going to wait and see what the interface and/or Apps for managing music and playlists are like before I invest any serious time into uploading my music collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 2:02:29 PM PDT
@Saltraker - i asked my question because Amazon Cloud has 4 pre-defined folders, none of which says "books" - i'm sorry that i don't automatically KNOW this stuff and that i make people like yourself, knowledgeable in ALL things, puff out your chest in exasperation at us lesser mortals - sorry for asking a question in a forum, i won't make the same mistake twice

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 2:03:42 PM PDT
thank you, R.Clark for your help

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 2:09:41 PM PDT
Paul...I wasn't referring to your question, but to the OP's. And I don't claim to be knowlegeable in ALL things...just most of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 2:12:54 PM PDT
Missy Pease says:
@Paul - Don't let them scare you away. It really can be a valuable source of information, sometimes you just have to deal with (or ignore) the individuals who seem to get easily frustrated when newbies come onboard. It was just like this when the Kindle 3 was released...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 8:36:07 PM PDT
Thanks peasorama - you are quite right :-)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 9:31:17 PM PDT
Sue Hayes says:
I have to admit I jumped at the chance to increase my cloud storage from 5gb to 20gb AND store my 72 gb of music on Amazon - yes, it took forever to transfer - for $20/year. Quite a bargain considering I have a Fire arriving on the 16th and believe I'll make good use of that cloud space for videos and books.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6326 2 minutes ago
How do I search the Kindle Forum for the topic I am interested in? 3 3 minutes ago
Buying a book after reading a sample 43 10 minutes ago
duplicate devices showing in Manage my Devices 3 22 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 8513 22 minutes ago
Can't open books on my Kindle! 17 27 minutes ago
ebook return policy 550 52 minutes ago
Blocking explicit songs on Prime Music 413 52 minutes ago
Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska?????? 328 55 minutes ago
Will a Fire 7 work in India? 1 55 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers