YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Organizing books on Kindle paperwhite?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 261 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 10:19:12 AM PST
I have an older Kindle (I don't recall which), but I dislike how books are organized on it. How has Amazon addressed organizing books on the new paperwhite version? Is it easier to move books into various collections?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:20:53 AM PST
Cyndie says:
Yes. You create the collections and then long tap on a book and choose Add to Collection then when your Collections are shown, you tap on the Collection(s) you want that book in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:32:17 AM PST
♥ Ann says:
Collections work the same way on the Paperwhite as they did on the older models, but the touch screen interface makes the process a bit easier.

There are two ways to add books to Collections:

1. Hold your finger on a book for a moment, tap Add to Collection, tap each of the Collection names you want to associate with the book, then tap Done.

2. Hold your finger on a Collection for a moment, tap Add/Remove Items, tap the books you want to associate with the Collection, then tap Done.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:32:12 PM PST
Glenn Braden says:
I have 2 questions pertaining to my Kindle Paperwhite:
1. Using my Paperwhite Kindle, how do I delete a book ? I know I can do it via my computer, but I would like to delete books via the Kindle Paperwhite device itself.
2. From a list of my Kindle books (as shown on my Kindle Paperwhite) I created some "Collections". I put some books in each Collection. However, my list of books remains the same. I had assumed book titles would disappear from the overall list as they are added to a Collection?
So, to use as an example, I have 2 books on my Kindle Paperwhite -- Tom Sawyer and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I create a Collection titled "My Classics". I add Tom Sawyer to the My Classics collection. I click on My Classics and Tom Sawyer shows. That's as it should be. However when I go to the Home Screen Tom Sawyer is still shown along with Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. How do I remove a book title from the Home Screen list of books? (Note: I still want the book to show in the My Classics collection.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:38:53 PM PST
Glenn, to make the titles disappear from the Home screen, you have to choose Sort by collections. Then the only book titles you will see are the ones that are not in any collection - they'll be listed after the list of collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:49:29 PM PST
Cyndie says:
As to your #1 questions, long tap a book from your Home Page and in the pop up, tap Remove From Device. This will move it to your Cloud. If you want to delete it from your Cloud, do that from your MYK page but this will also remove it from your Account so if you want it back, you will have to buy it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:50:47 PM PST
Glenn Braden says:
Thanks for the info: However, where do I find "Sort by collections"? I don't see it on my Kindle Paperwhite itself.
Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:58:05 PM PST
♥ Ann says:
At the top-right on your Home page, just below the Menu icon. It might say Recent or Title or Author. Tap that to see the sort options.

There's an image here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200953940_sortfilter?nodeId=200954110#sortfilter

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:13:08 PM PST
Hmm, yes, touchscreen would make it easier. Though I guess what I'm really wanting is a way to place books in an order of my choosing, within a list/collection. Not alphabetically and not by going in and editing the titles. Guess Amazon hasn't gotten that far yet.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:49:11 PM PST
I want to sort my series of books by the publication date. So I can read my books in order. Can I do this on the paperwhite?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:54:04 PM PST
No, you can't do it on the PaperWhite itself. What I do for my series (about 300 of them) is use Calibre. I have it set up so that my Home page looks like this:

Marple 01 - The Murder at the Vicarage
Marple 02 - The Body in the Library

etc. It takes a little time to set it up, but it works very well for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:37:53 AM PST
This seems like a huge program with many functions, only one of which I want to use. It seems like there should be an easier way. Why doesn't Amazon allow this type of sorting automatically? And, it seems like it would be easier to just check the series themselves and read them in order that way. But thank you for responding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:18:17 PM PST
pstarfish99 says:
what's an MYK page? Also, I have gone to my amazon account and deleted the books, but they're still in my cloud. How do I delete them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:23:59 PM PST
Shirley says:
FicFact.com is a great way to track series in order.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:50:44 PM PST
@pstarfish99: MYK = Manage Your Kindle - link at the top right of this page.

Sync the device to the account with the wireless on and working. Then it might take some time for the books deleted from the cloud to disappear.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 4:35:15 PM PST
Have you tried fictfact.com. It will let you keep track of all your series. You have to do it from a pc not the kindle but it is great for making sure you read your series in order.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:29:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 3:46:28 PM PST
Twin mama says:
So I am having problems with the collections as well. I set them up, but when I go to recent, my collections is grey so I can't select that. So my home screen continues to show all books, instead of just the ones to place in my various collections. Help....

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:34:57 AM PST
badge1771 says:
Can you delete a book from a collection? I have a Read collection and when I have read a book I move it to this collection and remove it from the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 9:49:10 AM PST
♥ Ann says:
@badge1771 - Yes, hold your finger on the book for a moment, tap Add to Collection, then uncheck/check the collection names. You can have a book in more than one collection, so you don't necessarily have to remove it from one collection to add it it another.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 7:32:56 PM PDT
Kathi says:
I've just received a Kindle Paperwhite and have created a few collections. However, collections is not a sort option for me. I can see it in the sort drop down list but its grayed out and not selectable. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 3:26:20 AM PDT
badge1771 says:
Have you got any books in the collections? I had this problem when I first received my Paperwhite and I think this is how I solved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 3:28:54 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
also, have you connected wirelessly at least once?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 2:21:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 2:55:33 PM PDT
Kathi says:
I do have books in the collections and I have connected wirelessly quite a few times. The only way I knew the collections I created even existed was when I pressed down on a title too long and another screen popped up showing add to collection. Selected that and suddenly all my collections appeared. But if I go to the home screen, I can see collections as one of my sort selections, but it's still grayed out and not selectable.

Edited to add that I got mad and turned the kindle totally off. When I turned it back on collections is now selectable and they show up in the list view as they are supposed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 12:09:35 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
aha, you probably did a reboot w/o realizing it (that fixes lots of things)

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:57:03 AM PDT
Hello, hello? Amazon, Kindle? Your best customers, the ones that BUY numerous books in a series, are asking for a way to read our books in a collection in order. I have over 59 agatha Christie books in just one collection. Add the death series and the numbers, and just those 3 series add up to a healthily chunk of change. I pre buy the next books in all of my series. I have over 300 titles. I have every kindle. I am a good customer. Why not take a moment and give us some apps to make our life easier. Now, I go on amazon and try to figure out what the next book in the series should be read. It would be better for your bottom line to get me reading my books faster. Seems like you are missing a great way to increase the satisfaction of your best customers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  105
Total posts:  261
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  18 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers