Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New to tablets!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012, 10:28:50 AM PST
R. Kee says:
My kids both want tablets for Christmas. One for mostly reading and social media, and the other for games and taking video. We live in what I call a "dead zone" and can't get high speed internet through phone or cable. Cellular data packages and satellite internet are just too expensive so we are waiting patiently. Anyway, I want to know if I purchase the Kindle Fire HD for each child will the fact that they will be playing/reading from stored data be an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:34:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 10:34:51 AM PST
MommaCat says:
It will be an issue only because they will have a problem downloading what they want.

Are there places they can go that offer free wi-fi such as fast food restaurants?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:35:48 AM PST
Any tablet is going to be somewhat of a disappointment if you don't have WiFi, or access to a large data plan. Apps need to connect to WiFi at times to update ads or verify the license. You need a good WiFi connection to download movies or tv shows, and that can take some time to do that.

For flat out reading, you can get by with no WiFi. For games, or video, well, they will be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:36:18 AM PST
♥ Ann says:
Books can be downloaded to a computer and transferred to a Kindle, but they will need a wireless connection for downloading games and accessing social media sites. If you buy the Fire HD 8.9" 4G models with data plans, they can connect via 3G/4G (if available in your area). The introductory data plans are very reasonable, but after the first year, you will have to pay for the regular AT&T tablet data plans. Also, the Fires only have front-facing web cams, for use with Skype. They won't be very good for taking videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:40:51 AM PST
R. Kee says:
Yes, we would make sure they could go somewhere to download games, books, etc. but once downloaded are there any issues?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:47:54 AM PST
Some apps, especially a lot of games, require wifi...not so much to PLAY the game, but the app will insist it check for updates (or to reload ads if it is of the "free" variety) and will not load until it does so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:59:30 AM PST
R. Kee says:
Good to know!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 11:00:44 AM PST
Surveyah says:
R. Kee.....are you saying that you have no internet access at home at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:07:25 AM PST
R. Kee says:
NONE! Used to have dial up but was not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:11:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 11:11:26 AM PST
BooDittie says:
Your kids are going to get about zero enjoyment from tablets without connectivity unless the plan is to virtually live at McDonalds or something.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 11:16:28 AM PST
In addition to what Dittie said, some locations such as McDonalds are now throttling or limiting their WiFi so that downloading large files may not work. Downloading a movie can take a long time, 20 minutes or longer, depending on the length, if it is HD, etc. A search of that issue brought up some sites mentioning time limits on the connections at places like McDonalds.

I really think they would end up being very frustrated with the devices with no easy access to WiFi.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 11:19:20 AM PST
Surveyah says:
You can still get dial-up? I thought that was only available for AO-HELL...... :)

but...seriously.....i have to concur with Dittie and Meya.....no wifi or 3G access basically makes it a paperweight....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:20:15 AM PST
Agreed. The gift needs to include a wi-fi hot spot from Verizon, or something. Otherwise any tablet is going to be a big bummer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:20:56 AM PST
For that matter, forget the tablets. Get INTERNET for them, and a laptop. They'll be thrilled.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:22:10 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I think she is saying they can't get high speed internet. Some rural parts of the country cannot get high speed internet at any price. Satellite internet is iffy and expensive.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 11:25:41 AM PST
BooDittie says:
Get a game system for the family television or a 3G reader for the kid, a video recorder for the other one. Rent discs from Netflix. But expecting magic from a tablet with no connectivity is just going to be a huge disappointment for everyone, not least of all the one paying the bill for the hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:31:53 AM PST
Ohhh! I thought the little hotspots from cell companies ... oh.

I agree with Dittie! The new Wii system, some fun games, a couple of baby Kindles... you're golden.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:32:56 AM PST
BooDittie says:
Ponyboy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:36:01 AM PST
Sodapop.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 11:38:18 AM PST
Two-bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:38:22 AM PST
BooDittie says:
I thought you'd call me Cherry and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:38:38 AM PST
BooDittie says:
lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:39:05 AM PST
R. Kee says:
That's exactly what I'm saying. If I could I would. The satellite and cellular providers are way too pricey per month not to mention I'm in "fair" coverage for both of those. Without access to wifi through phone or cable the data is limited, so anything involving streaming would eat up your package quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 11:39:15 AM PST
Man I loved that book.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 11:40:04 AM PST
scoutyjones says:
Are there really places in North Carolina that can't get high speed internet?! Are you asking this from work?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Whispersync only working one way. 6 7 hours ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 586 7 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4492 7 hours ago
kindle fire it sucks and blows 385 7 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6623 8 hours ago
why cant i watch hulu o. my kindle fire? 32 9 hours ago
Kindle app disappeared 39 9 hours ago
Kindle Fire HD owners: Does USB host mode work? 37 9 hours ago
Error: network_error 23 10 hours ago
How to change to black background and white letters? 107 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer