Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Childproofing my Fire's 'Instant Video'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2012 4:51:07 AM PDT
Please help! I love my Fire and my Prime membership, and now so does my 4-yr-old...she's figured out that it only takes a couple of button clicks to buy non-prime episodes of her favorite shows.

Is there any way to password-protect purchases before buying a TV episode or movie? I tried turning off 'one-click' for my Kindle, and that didn't work...I think that setting only applies to purchases made in the Amazon store (under Web). From what I've found in the help guide for Instant Videos, all they say is "Your purchase will complete and automatically charge your 1-Click payment method."

I like the flexibility of her watching my 'little' TV when I'm busy, so I'd really like to figure out a way to password-protect anything that required a non-prime purchase.

Help!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 5:20:35 AM PDT
If she is not able to understand that she shouldn't tap buttons without permission, she isn't ready to use a device such as the Fire without supervision.

There are apps for some child control, but I don't know how they work, and don't know if they work for videos.

Kids Place - Parental Control

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 6:11:37 AM PDT
Thanks for the judgment - as with most kids, Murphy's law applies and we can't prevent everything. But I sure will take your unsolicited advice and place it in an appropriate location.

Does anyone else have helpful feedback pertaining to my actual question?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 6:22:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 6:24:05 AM PDT
How did Meya's reply not pertain to your actual question? She even provided a link to an actual helpful app to maybe help with your situation.

I didn't really see her judging you either. Your child is inadvertently purchasing/renting videos without knowing she is doing so because she doesn't understand the consequences of what she's doing. A suggestion that perhaps she's not ready for the Fire seems reasonable. Would you call Meya judgmental if you let your child stand on a chair in front of the stove and she inadvertently turned the burner on, then suggest your child wasn't quite ready to cook dinner? No, she's not in physical danger in YOUR situation, but your finances may be.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 6:58:45 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
I think everyone's tired from the last few parent-bashing threads. Just wait until they all wake up.

I say: teach her to recognize the "buy" button. Then tell her over and over that if she touches that button, the Internet monsters will come out and eat her.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 6:59:42 AM PDT
wow

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 7:08:45 AM PDT
Since you want her to be able to watch the streaming videos, the best solution is to show her which button is the "buy" button, explain that it costs money when she clicks it, and tell her not to click it without asking you first.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:12:51 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
but according to the folks on another forum, mommy and/or daddy just have to go visit the machine that gives out money and get some more ...

seriously, other than the app that Meya supplied the link to, the only other way is to remove your credit card until you're ready to buy something

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 7:34:17 AM PDT
There is no magic dust for child proofing anything. You put locks on your cupboards, but you still don't leave your little kids unattended in the bathroom/kitchen/basement. You buckle your kids into car seats, but you have to make sure they don't unbuckle them, and you have to make sure the seats are properly hooked into the car.

You wouldn't conceive of letting a 4 year old sit at a computer that was online, and click away, with no supervision. Even with parental controls on browsers, you have to pay attention to them. The Fire is no different. There is an app that will help you, but you still need to use it, and supervise the child.

That is what parenting is all about. If my post wasn't pertinent to your question, then I don't believe anyone here will have anything to say that you will deem helpful.

FYI, I have raised 4 kids to adulthood. It was hard work. You did solicit advice here by posting your question. Don't hurt yourself with your placement of said advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 7:37:20 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
My <ahem> helpful feedback would be the same as Meya's. Use the Child lock, or supervise your child. Preferably both.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:42:05 AM PDT
Jen,

At this time, unless you try the child-programs available for the Kindle Fire through the Amazon Apps store, the answer would be no, there is no way at this time to do what you are asking.

The folks here are just trying to help you out. If you find that you need to be snarky with your response, you will also find they will not be very helpful to answer your questions.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:42:42 AM PDT
Take the fire away from the toddler. Buy a Roku and stream Dora from that.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:47:12 AM PDT
Also - under Conditions of Use:

YOUR ACCOUNT

If you use this site, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password. Amazon does sell products for children, but it sells them to adults, who can purchase with a credit card or other permitted payment method. If you are under 18, you may use Amazon.com only with involvement of a parent or guardian. Amazon reserves the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, or cancel orders in their sole discretion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:24:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 8:29:38 AM PDT
LadyH95 says:
To add to Meya's post:

Some people have recommended charging the Fire's in their bedroom to keep children from using them all night long. We took our child's cell phone every night and had it charged in our room so he would go to bed at a decent hour and not stay up all night texting.

I would regularly check his text messages to see who it was talking to and when.

Unknown to us - he would sneak into our room once we were asleep and get the phone. He would text his friends all night long.

He learned how to clear out his history - but do it selectively so there was still stuff there.

Come to find out he was also sneaking out of the house at night. He wasn't doing bad stuff - just skate boarding with friends or meeting at the local fast food place to chat. How did we learn about this? When the two police officers and the chaplain showed up at our house to say he had been hit by a car (killed instantly).

I say this because even though we try to put "protections" on our children - they find a way around it. We do the best we can but they or their friends know how to get around it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:26:03 AM PDT
I am sorry to hear about your son. That must have been an absolute nightmare for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:29:14 AM PDT
(((LadyH95)))

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 8:33:30 AM PDT
LadyH95 says:
thanks

It's been just over 7 months.... let's just say some days are better than others and leave it at that

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:34:38 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
Wow. Big HUGS!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:35:34 AM PDT
It is not right for a child to die before their parents.

You're right; we cannot protect our kids from the world 100%. You did what you could; some parents don't make NEAR that much effort.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:37:50 AM PDT
Lady, I am so very sorry about your son. I can't even imagine...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:59:12 AM PDT
My condolences, LadyH95.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:04:31 AM PDT
KessaJo says:
Oh Wow! LadyH95, I hope that I do not offend with this, but my prayers & best wishes are with you. How devastating that must still be for you. I can't even imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:44:56 AM PDT
LOL...might work. I coached her that she can only click if there's a 'check' (Prime shows have this), but I'd like a more sure-fire way of knowing she can't go willy-nilly with the buying.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:48:52 AM PDT
Thanks for the feedback, all. Sounds like teaching her what the buy button looks like is my best option - too bad there's not auto password feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:54:21 AM PDT
flipoid says:
Again, the only sure-fire way, *because of the way the Fire is designed*, is you. The next time she buys something she's not supposed to (even though you've already "coached" her about the "Buy" button), perhaps you should take the Fire away from her.

LadyH95, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! *HUGS* and good thoughts and prayers heading your way.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Hiding books from other family Kindle devices possible?? 153 2 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD stuck in landscape mode 12 5 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1685 6 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5662 7 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 712 27 minutes ago
Reset Parental Control Password 631 34 minutes ago
My friend's kindle fire stopped working. Total blackness on the screen. 2 38 minutes ago
August 2016--Informal Poll--What are you reading? 145 57 minutes ago
HOw do I delete a book on my device it is not on the list of purchases anymore 5 58 minutes ago
Can't get magazine delivered to laptop 7 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions