Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

charging problems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 7:17:57 PM PST
This is the second FIRE I have had developing a charging problem. It wont take a charge. Like there is a short in the device. The charger works fine charging my aneroid phone so the problem is in the device not the charger. Anyone else experiencing such problems? What causes this problem?

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:44:40 PM PST
Have you tried a hard reboot?

To reset/reboot your Kindle Fire:
- With the Fire charged but unplugged from the charger, press and hold the power button for a full 30 seconds.
- When the Fire cycles off completely, press the power button once to turn it back on.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:28:54 PM PST
W. Yu says:
i have the same charging problem with my kindle fire, which makes me very disappointed with this device. it just took one year and happened lots of times of charging problem.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:00:58 PM PST
Your Kindle Fires are under warranty - If you are experiencing problems, contact customer service. If no solution can be found, they will likely replace it.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:28:01 PM PST
Pam Skelton says:
Kindle fire charging system is a piece of junk. You can't get any help. They tell you to reboot but it does no good. It will eventually begin to charge after maybe 20 minutes of pressing the button, turning it off, rebooting and maybe if you are lucky it will charge. Although my wife loves it when it works, I am ready to throw it in the trash.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 8:30:16 PM PST
@Pam: If it is a Fire Gen 1, the charging problem could be the fault of a loose USB port connection. That is a known fault, and Amazon has been replacing them. Contact CS again (chat or call me feature) and ask for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 9:00:16 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Unless your problem is a loose charging port, the problem is likely the result of memory leaks in the apps that are being run. Download Android Assistant from the Amazon Appstore and set it to clear your system memory (not your storage) automatically every few hours. It will eliminate the problem you're experiencing.

Android Assistant

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:10:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 10:11:01 PM PST
j. t. says:
I just had a damaged Kindle Fire replaced about a week ago, and now the replacement is having battery issues.
The battery icon has a question mark on it and the battery indicator light is not coming on.
I have tried hard resets, changing outlets, changing chargers . . . nothing.

Is the replacement replaceable for free?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 7:03:19 AM PDT
bill says:
It appears that the Kindle has problems with the charging and Amazon is aware but refuses to correct the problem. My Kindle is just out of warranty and they will only offer me a new one for $139. I am not satisfied with the solution and will not purchase another one. Perhaps if they loose enough customers they will figure it out. Good Bye Kindle... I will not return

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 4:43:49 PM PDT
I am in the same situation. I was on the phone and on chat with CS today. My Kindle is now out of warranty. The only thing they offered to do is replace it at a discount. Amazon knows this is a problem and refuses to replace their faulty product. I will not purchase another Kindle again.

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 5:19:17 PM PDT
My kindle keyboard is over 2 years old and the battery wouldn't charge all of the way. I tried different chargers and hard resets. Nothing worked. I called kindle support and they offered to send me a kindle touch for free. I have to respect a company that will replace a product that is long out of warranty. I know that the touch isn't the newest and greatest kindle, but they could have just told me sorry but we can't help.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2014 7:27:31 PM PST
Jamie Fine says:
How are you supposed to do this if your kindle won't charge? No power & no way to get it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 6065 11 minutes ago
Accessing previously bought books 1 11 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 2171 14 minutes ago
Migratiing collection from keyboard to voyage 9 17 minutes ago
Factory reset caused by last update 2 18 minutes ago
Cannot close book now with latest iPad update 37 27 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 3440 33 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 8083 34 minutes ago
Kindle app on iPad 65 37 minutes ago
Request features for Android Kindle app 0 43 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers