Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Remove "Customers Also Bought" Banner....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012, 1:43:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012, 1:56:10 PM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
Does anyone think the "Customers Also Bought" banner will be removed/replaced in a future update? Thoughts? Has anyone heard anything about this? Discuss. It is quite literally the only thing that really bugs me about the Kindle Fire HD. I don't even mind the ads in the lock screen. Otherwise, I love it all. Plus, for people who complain about the AmazonStore...there is an easy, non-rooting work around.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012, 1:44:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 19, 2012, 1:49:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012, 1:46:18 PM PDT
I'm pretty sure that I once heard that there is a way to turn it off. Not sure how, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012, 1:47:55 PM PDT
If you turn the Fire to landscape, it goes away. I don't like it either, FWIW.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012, 1:48:19 PM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
Interesting! If you ever find out how, post it up. That would be good to know. All I know is people said paying the 10/15 bucks to remove the lock screen ads didn't effect the customers also bought banner

Posted on Sep 19, 2012, 1:49:37 PM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
I know about the landscape thing. I was thinking more of a permanent fix:)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012, 1:58:47 PM PDT
Ross, I don't think anyone here knows for certain the answer to that at this time. If you'll excuse me being an Amazon apologist for a moment, the marketing "cross-selling" on the various Fire's is what allows Amazon to sell the device so cheaply. The Fire's aren't perfect, but there really isn't anything on the market that is comparable on a cost basis - at least among top tier devices.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012, 2:28:49 PM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
I don't mind the marketing stuff, to a point. I have actually gotten some good crap out of the lock screen ads. Maybe I would feel better about the main screen banner if I had actually thought any of the suggestions were useful...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012, 2:30:25 PM PDT
I won't get my new Fire HD until November. Maybe I'll have a different opinion once I actually use it. ;)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012, 2:39:22 PM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
Ahhhh, you will love it! The volume and power buttons are a little too well hidden on the edge, but I really love it. I did not have the Kindle Fire so I can't give you a comparison. The screen is very clear. Better than my wife's Ipad2. Sounds is great. If you want loads of apps that the amazon store doesn't have, 1mobile.com seems to be a reputable source. Videos come in clear. The HD on streaming stuff is touchy, but that is to be expected. I don't know if the WiFi is much faster necessarily with two antennas, but it is fast. The screen itself does have some lag with responsiveness, but very minimal and only occasionally. Amazon Prime is a must and I enjoy the options it allows (I already had it before I got the tablet). The camera does not have an app per say from Amazon, but you can use it for pictures through 1mobile.com apps and Facebook. I haven't tried it for the intended purpose of skyping. Really the only thing is that damn banner. They could make it into a favorites carousel...I just don't though because right now that is a star in the lower right hand corner. Wow, I gotta get going for awhile, but that is my two cents for ya Rocker.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012, 10:48:37 PM PDT
I'd also love an option to disable the suggestions. they get annoying very fast.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012, 12:22:37 PM PDT
I absolutely agree that they are annoying. I paid to have ads removed, and I believe these are ads, in that they're trying to sell us something. I think the best option is to email the special Fire feedback dept. at Amazon (which I believe is kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com). Hopefully Amazon will listen.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012, 1:32:59 PM PDT
I have no issues with the lock screen ads, no real plan to opt out but goodness I do not like the customers alo bought section. I do not have the screen space for this nonsense!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012, 1:45:51 PM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
Suggestion sent. I think everyone that doesn't like that banner should send in their opinion.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012, 3:03:31 PM PDT
John Olcese says:
I agree with all the above and will becontacting Amazon. Glad to see that others feel the same way.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012, 10:04:42 PM PDT
i agree. i paid to have the ads removed and had hoped that the customers also bought would be removed also but no. I also don't mind the lock screen ads, but this gets in the way when i am actually USING the device. not cool

Posted on Sep 27, 2012, 10:28:05 PM PDT
Artist says:
Read the first post at the top of this page!

Posted on Sep 27, 2012, 11:13:45 PM PDT
What Blaiz said. They are making it an option to remove them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012, 4:35:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012, 4:37:18 AM PDT
i paid to have the ads removed and had hoped that the customers also bought would be removed also but no.
You only paid to have the ads like buy a $10 Amazon Gift Card for $5 & the like, removed - the Special Offers, has nothing to do with the Customers Also Bought.

Edited to make more sense.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 5:18:56 AM PDT
Amazon is going to be pushing out an update in the coming weeks that will give users the ability to turn the Customers also Bought banner off.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 7:55:36 AM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
That's excellent, where did you see that?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012, 7:57:06 AM PDT
In the FAQ on the Kindle Help Forum. It's at the top of the main forum page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cm_cd_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx1WEM06OFQ59MC

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 8:52:47 AM PDT
Roscoe782 says:
That is so cool that they addressed that! I really had no problems with the offers on the locked screen, but the banner on the functional main screen just seemed to get in the way. Thanks for that update!!!!!!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 8:54:05 AM PDT
The downvote fairies are out in droves it seems.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012, 9:21:05 AM PDT
GREAT; thank you, Meya, for posting that!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Echo (Part 2) 279 1 minute ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 1883 6 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 8498 7 minutes ago
Amazon Echo drops connection every day. 237 8 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5237 23 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 1294 23 minutes ago
Kindle holder/pillow while reading in bed - suggestions? 3 30 minutes ago
Amazon Echo outside US 332 33 minutes ago
Virus Alert /Scam email Amazon Cancellation 55 34 minutes ago
Kindle Fire touch Screen not working / responding 96 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers