Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon's new pricing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012, 8:18:14 AM PST
When the Apple/publishers lawsuit was settled, Amazon gave everyone the impression that book pricing was going to go down.

I've noticed, since the introduction of the HD line, that average pricing for books has gone from about 10.00 to 12-15.00/book. I even checked the pricing of books that I have previously purchased and notice this LARGE jump.

I don't know about others, but when the price is slightly above the paperback price, I don't mind paying the extra cost. When the hardcover edition is closer to the price point, I question whether I'm going to buy the book, or not.

I've got the 8.9" HD on order and am re-evaluating that decision.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012, 8:19:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012, 8:19:31 AM PST
LadyH95 says:
.... but the lawsuit hasn't settled (I don't think - maybe I'm confused). It has to be approved by a judge and that won't be till February or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:19:25 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Where and when did Amazon give you that impression?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:21:21 AM PST
That's correct, and in addition, two of the publishers and Apple have not agreed to any settlement.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012, 8:23:46 AM PST
Erich says:
A lot of people deluded themselves in to thinking that this lawsuit would bring down the cost of e-books immediately. Silly persons. Demand for e-books is SKYROCKETING. There's little incentive for Amazon, or a publisher, to lower prices all that much (if at all).

There may be some price drops in some titles once everything is finalized, but don't expect a massive downward drop in prices. Just not gonna happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:25:27 AM PST
Buy whatever works for you. I haven't looked at the prices of e-books in ages - I have a years-long TBR list and I keep running across excellent deals. Plus, my reading tastes have shifted to classics in recent months.

Once the lawsuit is settled, Amazon will have some flexibility in pricing, but I wouldn't expect prices to return to pre-Agency levels. That just seems overly optimistic to me.

Decide if you're willing to pay the going rate for books. Any future price drops will be a bonus.

You should also look into e-books available through your public library.

eReaderIQ.com will track the prices of books, and notify you of reductions. Amazon has monthly and daily deals - also a great source for inexpensive books, especially if you're willing to broaden your horizon.

But do what works for you. Whatever that may be.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012, 8:26:06 AM PST
Ebook price thread #347,188.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:33:04 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
a. Amazon did no such thing. You are engaging in hyperbole to make a point for which you have no proof.

b. "Average" is a mathematical concept, subject to analysis, of which you offer none. Again, you are making an unsupported assertion and using language that suggests you have proof when you don't.

c. Having options is a wonderful thing. God bless America.

d. If you buying a Kindle means you're going to be on here complaining all the time, I vote "no."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:34:41 AM PST
The lawsuit is not settled yet. Apple and 2 of the publishers, Penguin and Macmillan, have not settled. Books published by Penguin and Macmillan are still being sold and priced by the publishers under the Agency Model. Many of the series I like to read are published by Penguin and I have noticed a jump in prices of those books. Hachette Book Group, Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins have settled and their books no longer say "Price set by publisher".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:44:53 AM PST
RD Clark,

The 8.9" Kindle will be my 6th Kindle. My wife had one, I have one, and my aunt, who lives with us has one. I got my original Kindle when they were first released. The three other Kindles were de-registered from me and given to relatives.

No proof? Apparently you haven't been buying many books.

Since the first Kindle came out, this is the FIRST time I've posted anything.

Jerk.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012, 8:52:11 AM PST
Helena P. says:
For what it's worth, I have begun to notice that there is a narrowing gap on how the prices are represented to me. Two thirds, maybe a bit less, are showing the disclaimer of the price being set by the publisher. About a third, maybe a bit more, are showing the Digital List Price, and then "our price" which is usually a modest saving with no disclaimer. So in my opinion the agreements that have recently been reached are having a small but noticeable effect.

I have also noticed a few titles that say that the book has no DRM per publisher directive. *That* is more exciting to me right there. I like that trend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:56:33 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
<When the Apple/publishers lawsuit was settled, Amazon gave everyone the impression that book pricing was going to go down.>

Please cite an instance/source where this "impression" was given.

I never saw it or expected any such result. Of course, even before the Agency Agreement, I read the advertisements correctly - as opposed to MANY people who overlooked modifiers such as "many."

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:57:59 AM PST
Where's Perry? He can explain where you got the impression that the book prices were going to plummet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:59:25 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Nooooooo! Don't invoke the "P" word!

~smile~

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:02:27 AM PST
King Al says:
My impression is not the same as yours. I also buy a lot of books, and only about 2-3 books on my wishlist (out of about 80) have had a price increase, but at least 7 of them have had a price decrease.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012, 9:03:41 AM PST
LadyH95 says:
All I know is Amazon gets exactly what I'm willing to spend on eBooks.... and not a penny more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:04:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012, 9:05:58 AM PST
I looked over the eBooks on my Wish List a few days ago. About 1/3-to-half had gone from $12-15 to $9.99 or lower, and the rest stayed about where they were, and that correllated to which publishers have not yet agreed to change their contracts with Apple in the anti-trust case.

So I think you're full of it. But let's not let that get in the way of your overinflated indignation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:05:20 AM PST
Psylocide says:
Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:12:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012, 9:12:42 AM PST
JimmyTheD says:
I think your analysis is severely lacking in true statistical value points. There is no indication that any prices changed when the Fire HD was released.

While I'm glad you have the freedom to "re-evaluate" your decision to purchase the Fire HD, did you post that information as some sort of not-so-subtle threat to Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:16:43 AM PST
CLS10 says:
" Hachette Book Group, Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins have settled and their books no longer say "Price set by publisher". "

This isn't completely true. Simon & Schuster and Hachette are still setting their prices (for now) and still have the "price set by publisher" disclaimer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:20:02 AM PST
I did not know that. Apparently I don't read many of their books. Most of the books I read are from Penguin and HarperCollins.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:22:18 AM PST
Pink Kitty says:
what does DRM mean & why is it exciting? I'm not trying to cause trouble, only to learn. ty ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 9:35:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012, 9:37:20 AM PST
DRM = Digital Rights Management.

I'm not sure that it's exciting but it exists to prevent you from making thousands of copies of a digital file and giving it to all your family, friends, acquaintances, and perfect strangers.

Think of it like a lock that is attached to the file and can only be opened by the Kindle it was created for when you downloaded the book.

ETA: The exciting part is that some books now have NO DRM. In other words, they are not locked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 10:17:29 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Ah, in other words, you concede all of my points and can only resort to name-calling. I accept your surrender.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 10:21:38 AM PST
CLS10 says:
With me, most of the books I read/want to read, are pubbed by Penguin and Random House. Even with the Agency Model, I found Harper Collins to have good prices AND they had an abundance of sales (the best out of the big 6, imo). So ammy setting their prices doesn't really affect me much.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5524 27 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2166 52 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 7777 1 hour ago
Amazon Insider app for Fire HD 8 5 1 hour ago
kid's kindle fire..App Unavailable: SD Card Not Found??? 225 1 hour ago
free books & chat - june 2017 (fb&c) 748 1 hour ago
Audible prime channels 7 2 hours ago
Why Does It Take SO Long????? 51 2 hours ago
Can I play the same music to multiple Echo devices? 460 2 hours ago
My kindle won't turn on 3725 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer