Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Restricting access to only children's books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012, 10:55:48 AM PST
Cheeks 1 says:
I bought a Paperwhite for my 10 year old and want to restrict her access to only children's book, is there a way to do this? Thanks

Posted on Dec 16, 2012, 11:32:20 AM PST
Define children's books.

Then define who you wish to decide what is a child's book. Elected officials? Religious leaders? Your next door neighbor? The security guy at a grocery who made a 4 year old sign a confession for eating a grape? Authors? Retailers?

I do believe the Paperwhite and basic Kindles have parental controls so you may stop access to the browser, the store (or at least purchases), and your archives. Then when YOU decide what books are appropriate for her you can set up her Paperwhite to handle the restrictions you deem appropriate.

If you are asking if there is a rating system to define age appropriate reading then no, thank goodness there isn't. I can't imagine how painful a process that would be.

However, do review the parental controls and I'm sure you can find the restrictions you wish to implement as an individual parent--you know your kid the best. My son is using a Touch so I don't remember the details off the top of my head. FWIW he read the Hobbit and LOTR as a 10 year old and I don't think he would have found those in the children's section.

JTG
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
May, 2017 What are YOU reading? 71 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5248 7 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2017 730 9 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 1888 13 minutes ago
Book allowances - combined or separate 15 17 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 1317 18 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 7058 57 minutes ago
Cannot filter my Amazon wishlist by price drop 60 1 hour ago
free monthly prime books 11 1 hour ago
Amazon Daily Blog 9 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers