Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Reading books on the kindle fire or regular kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 7:19:16 PM PST
DBF says:
I have the kindle and it has the special type of print that makes it easy to read and doesn't bother my eyes.

I trying to decide if I should get my granddaughter a kindle or kindle fire - which is easier to read?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:21:45 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
The Eink Kindles are just like reading a paper book, they can be read outdoors without any problems.

The Fires are tablets that can do video, games, web surfing, reading books, etc. They cannot be used outdoors in bright light. They are like reading on your computer screen, there will be a lot of glare.

If the main purpose is reading then go with the Kindle Paperwhite, you cannot beat it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:23:55 PM PST
Denise - The Kindles are easier to read on than the Fire IMO. However, if she's a child she may be used to reading on backlit screens. If she mainly wants to read, a Kindle is the way to go. If she also wants to play games, watch videos and listen to music, too, the Fire is the way to go.

The Fire has a feature called FreeTime that can limit her time doing different activities.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:08:11 PM PST
Chuck Case says:
I have a Kindle Generation 2 and a Kindle Fire. I also have amblyopia, commonly called lazy eye. My eye muscle never developed in my right eye. I tell you this because my "eye" does not get tired or fatigued when I read on my 2nd Generation Kindle. I have also read on my Kindle Fire and I can not say the same for the Fire. I love to read and with my eye issues I had never read more than 15 books in any one year. Since I got my 2nd Generatin Kindle I have increased my yearly amount of books read. This year I will read over 40 books. I really like my Fire and I use it daily, but I still favor my 2nd Generation Kindle for reading. I hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:18:29 PM PST
Courtney says:
I have no problems reading on my Kindle Fire. However, I have also changed the settings to sepia tone which is easier on my eyes.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:00:49 PM PST
musicmomma says:
I always read on my Kindle Fire and do not have problems. I always have to put my Kindle down after a while to avoid eye strain. This is also true with my Kindle Keyboard.

The only draw back about the fire is you can not use it in bright light.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:12:07 PM PST
Courtney says:
"The only draw back about the fire is you can not use it in bright light. "

I haven't had this issue really. I do have to turn the brightness all the way up, and tip it slightly, but it's no different than trying to look at my phone in the sun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:35:03 PM PST
And I have to wear sunglasses outside and can't even tell it's on. It's totally black. So it just depends.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:10:02 PM PST
W. Laine says:
I keep my Fire HD's brightness at 10-15% & have an anti-glare screen protector that really helps for reading.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:42:49 AM PST
Everyone with a cellphone or digital camera with an LCD screen knows it's no problem to see it in bright sunlight. A number of people have said here that they can see their LCD screen perfectly well in bright sunlight. It's just not a problem. And, our personal experience can verify that, can't it? Your laptop computer, not a problem in bright sunlight. Not at all. This reminds me of the old joke where a man walks in on his wife in bad with another man and she says, "Are you going to believe me or your own lying eyes."

Now, can people who want to play games, surf the net, and watch movies on a tiny screen also read a book on the Kindle Fire? Yes. If, what you want to do is read books, get an eink Kindle.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 8212 1 minute ago
Migratiing collection from keyboard to voyage 0 3 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Sucks 2 6 minutes ago
Echo Music Shuffle Broken 98 7 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 1312 10 minutes ago
icloud password 3 16 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 313 33 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 1123 41 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 5589 44 minutes ago
Organizing books on Kindle Fire HD 48 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.