Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle in Ukraine

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2010 11:25:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2010 11:47:10 PM PST
Hello.
You can read about my very positive impressions using Kindle in Ukraine here: http://dmitryantonyuk.com/2010/12/20/kindle-ukraine-zhytomyr/

Thanks a lot to Amazon!

Regards,
Dmitry Antonyuk. Ukraine. Zhitomir

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 11:41:11 PM PST
I just read your review Dmitry and I totally agree with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 11:46:49 PM PST
This service is really perfect example for a lot of possible improvements in the different (especially governmental) services worldwide.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 1:37:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2010 1:40:17 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 1:51:56 AM PST
After Kyivstar closed in 2011 all of Beeline stations in Ukraine, there's no coverage of EDGE/GPRS for today. So if you have AT&T version of Kindle (the serial starts from B006) you have just one carrier - Ukrtelecom (Utel) that covers only 5% of Ukraine.
You can NOT even a possibility to choose what version of Kindle to buy. The Amazon sends an (american) B006 version and B00A (european) randomly.
The european B00A version have extremely much bigger coverage - about 90% through the Life and MTS operators.

I've contacted a support couple of times, but can't get any help. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 12:33:51 AM PST
T. shearn says:
i would like to buy kindle in england for my daughter to download school books in ukraine -will it work? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 1:07:10 AM PST
No matters where you buy a Kindle, since new Amazon policy, free 3G traffic for Kindle 3 is limited to 50Mb per month now. It's really bad! :( No reason to buy a Kindle 3 anymore.
But you can still download by 3G the books you buying from Amazon store for free, or use a WiFi instead of 3G.
The coverage for Kindle in Ukraine is provided by Kyivstar and Trimob (ex Utel) now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 1:23:57 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes it will work, but you'll have to register it to amazon.com unless you keep her on your account

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 1:58:17 AM PST
T. shearn says:
many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 2:01:33 AM PST
T. shearn says:
i think i will be keeping her on my account , just wondered if she will be able to download ukrainian school books -her class mates all using e-books or ipads for that , so I was not sure if Kindle will be OK for that purpose . Thanks for your help

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 2:06:36 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
you might have her ask what formats those books are in as kindles can't read all formats

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 2:36:23 AM PST
Yes, you can easily read ukrainian books on Kindle, all characters in fonts is supported by default.

And some words about file formats: you can use format converters, or library managers like Calibre to convert formats. Calibre works with cyrillic characters fine, for sure.
Or you can always use a free Amazon converter by sending a document to a specific email address on your account @free.kindle.com.
After that Amazon sends converted file to your account. And you can download this file by WiFi (for free) or by 3G (for a small fee).
Look at "Manage Your Kindle" section at your Amazon account for more info.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And Proud Of It! Join Grace The Bichon, Mighty Mouse, Snapper, Wookie The Hound, Pear Eating Turkeys, Cats Playing Ice Cube Soccer And A Herd Of Giraffes! No Rude Big Goats Allowed! Tally Ho! 800 2 minutes ago
kindle books won't download 1 4 minutes ago
How to "follow" a favorite author? 60 7 minutes ago
app store not working 59 11 minutes ago
I have a new credit card number. Can you help me make the change to the new card? Thanks Roger 6 15 minutes ago
Delete stuff downloaded on Kindle when you get it 39 17 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 1404 19 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1869 19 minutes ago
Kindle returns is a problem 19 20 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 3215 22 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers