Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

January Moon by Maureen Gill

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012, 5:10:23 PM PDT
aunt sue says:
One of the best things I did for myself was to join a women's bookclub. It has made me read books "outside my box" and enjoy friendship and excellent conversations. We recently read "January Moon" by Maureen Gill and it was a wonderful read where we all found the characters in the book come to life. It prompted wonderful conversation and enthusiastic review on a Thursday night book club meeting. It was one of those books that left you wanting a sequel to see what happens to the characters you fell in love with. As our group discussed the book we found ourselves searching and probing for more information. January Moon is a must read for a book club or individual read!

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 6:31:57 PM PDT
I agree. I've lived in Mexico for almost 15 years and the only thing I really miss from the U.S. is my book group. One of the things I enjoyed was it led me to read books I wouldn't have read on my own. Sometimes I enjoyed them, sometimes I didn't, but it was usually interesting regardless.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 6:46:50 PM PDT
Fud53 says:
It would seem "aunt sue" that you might indeed be Maureen Gill...

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 8:06:26 PM PDT
Fud, she may be Maureen Gil but I have no reason to believe she is.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 8:09:30 PM PDT
How about it, "Aunt Sue", with your totally blank profile? Are you the author? Related to the author? Your glowing praise for this book somehow doesn't ring true. 'Fess up!
(and be advised that self-promotion here is forbidden by amazon, and lying about it will only make things worse!)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 8:47:28 PM PDT
When I read the post, I immediately thought it was the author self promoting, because surely in a book club you read more than one book?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 10:19:42 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Every.single.time I have ever seen a thread titled with just a book name, with author (something most people would not do)'s name as well, i.e. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe and nothing else, it has been stealth spam. Every.time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 10:23:43 PM PDT
and the OP's profile is blank.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 10:27:14 PM PDT
Gosh, I hope "Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe" wasn't one of them, Mooncat! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 10:29:19 PM PDT
Well, Defoe wasn't even his real last name. It was Foe and he added the "de" to make his name sound more high class.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 10:39:48 PM PDT
So what? Plenty of people use pen names or some variation of their original name.

My point was that if he posted about his book on this forum, while pretending not to be the author, we'd have proof of life after death.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 10:41:38 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
;-)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012, 10:48:33 PM PDT
Incidentally, for the benefit of the OP - whenever I see someone clearly self-promoting in defiance of the rules (genuine mistakes I forgive; blatant rule-breaking I don't) I automatically put that author on my "banned" list and refuse to read anything of theirs, ever.

And I don't think I'm the only one who does that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 11:01:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012, 11:04:59 AM PST
aunt sue says:
I am laughing trying to figure out why you would think that....our bookclub uses reviews and discussions to choose our monthly books...and I was brought us to speak up when I liked something and speak up when I didn't. I just like the book :)
I am a first time user on this forum and if information is missing as I noticed on further down comments it is due to the fact that I am not familar with the set up. Sorry you all spent more time commenting on this than reading the post for what it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 11:07:43 AM PST
We would think that you were an author self-promoting in a sneaky fashion because unfortunately, it happens all the time. It's an easy assumption...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 11:19:11 AM PST
Wouldn't be the first time this week an author has promoted his/her own books in this forum.

Honestly, that was my first thought when I read the thread title, too. And a self-published book seems an odd choice for a book club.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012, 11:24:37 AM PST
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...when you first sign up for an account here on Amazon, wouldn't your profile have your real name, unless you knowingly and intentionally went in and edited your profile?

If that is correct, the OP is flat out lying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 11:34:46 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
"Sorry you all spent more time commenting on this than reading the post for what it was."

Actually, most people have read the post for what it was; stealth self-promoting spam. Not our first day off the turnip truck, sweetie.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013, 1:06:11 PM PDT
Maureen Gill says:
Hi, I am Maureen Gill and 30 mins ago I was Googling my name to find an old link to an article I'd written (because I write a lot of articles that have nothing to do with books or my book; I'm a historian and political writer) and I saw this link... I thought how weird... a discussion? I hit the hyperlink and here I am... odd it would show up a yr later on a Google search of my name (I did not Google my book's title) -- but such are the vagaries of the internet; I don't understand how search engines work. I suspect they have a mind of their own.

Anyway, at the risk of looking like the biggest a-you-know-what (and the "a" doesn't stand for *uthor) I'd like to first say I TOTALLY respect the ban on authors self-promoting their own stuff. It ticks me off when author's do that; it hurts us as authors. It is devastating. However, I also think just because we are authors we should not be forced to give up the right to correct errors or falsehoods, especially when they are needlessly hurtful.

Therefore, this comment is specifically in relation to a comment here that someone decided to ban my book and all my future books because they believed someone called "aunt sue" was actually me and I was self-promoting my book.

Allow me to set the record straight. I was not "aunt sue." However, I suspect I know who she is and here is why: If this "aunt sue" is who I think she is, her name really is Sue. I met her in the Nuclear Medicine Dept at Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford, Maine, August 16, 2012, prior to surgery for a lumpectomy (and if you think I am lying about this lumpectomy, you can find 2 You Tube videos I made about my surgery, OK? The dates are there and I talk extensively about my care at SMMC).

Sue is a nuclear medicine tech; she was my tech when I was having a special procedure immediately before the lumpectomy. While I was having this procedure/test we talked about our lives and what we do and I told her I'd written a book blah blah and she said she was in a book club blah blah and she'd check out my book and more blah blah...

Several weeks later Sue contacted me through a mutual friend, a nurse, at SMMC and told me her club agreed to read my book in October; it was the first book for their new 6 months' of selections or whatever. They thought it would be uber cool to actually meet the author -- I mean, how often does an author live in the same area as those folks in a book club?

The book club meets in Old Orchard Beach Maine; I live 20 minutes away. It sounded like fun to me -- and it was!

There is nothing more cool than talking about your book with a group of book lovers. It is one of the most awesome things I have ever done. This was my 2nd time meeting with a book club. I'm a transplant to Maine from IL and before I moved to Maine I did the same thing and it happened in the same serendipitous way: a friend of a friend of a friend was in a book club and called me up one day and asked "hey, if I get my club to read YOUR book, will you come and talk to us?" and I said "hell yes!"

So you see, indies can have their books read by clubs and I suspect this is becoming more common as more indies produce high quality work.

My growth as an author is advanced by these kind of marvelous interchanges. I am humbled by people who love books so much that they are in clubs and I am even more humbled by their desire to meet me and ask me questions and even more importantly tell me where I slammed it home and where I failed miserably. Actually, learning where I failed miserably is probably more helpful than praise. It's painful sometimes but I know it is very important. I didn't want to hear I had cancer but I sure was happy to hear how it could be cured (I was immensely lucky; I am fine and all I say to that here is that if you are a woman pls get your mammos). It's the same thing with writing: I don't like hearing my writing or my story is lousy, but I sure appreciate suggestions how to make both better.

So, I am asking anyone who ever comes across this thread in any Google search or in any other way to take this to heart. Please don't ban an author based on a hunch that someone posting about a book is actually the author unless you can absolutely verify that is the case. It is so unfair. I have to wonder if this happens a lot here on these boards... I don't read them but it's a scary thought that this can happen and might happen often. Wow.

Well, as I said, I am Maureen Gill and I approve this message. Thank you.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013, 1:31:44 PM PDT
Hello ms gill
Thanks for your comments. Some background: this and related forums have been inundated by authors promoting their books. Many authors have created fake names/accounts to do this, some have friends/relatives do it for them. I have re-read the OP, and it still reads like a sock-puppet. I am not disputing you, but the tone and wording are what we have heard over and over.
If you are correct as to "Aunt Sue"'s identity, perhaps she could have put in more info--I agree, it must be a treat for a small book club to have the author present. If she had made any relationship to you clear, people would probably gone easier on her.
Good luck with your writing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013, 1:46:34 PM PDT
Maureen Gill says:
Damn, that was fast! Yikes. LOL!

Thank you for the very courteous and understanding reply. I am vastly relieved because I have heard authors can get eaten alive here-- most likely rightly so.

Actually, I agree with your assessment. I went back and read what was written and cringed. It was written with good intentions; she did not mean to harm me. I also believe that neither did you or anyone else who posted here.

That is all I can ask -- and it is enough for me.

Thanks again; I really am very pleased to be allowed the opportunity to state my case.

Best wishes; ~m
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer