Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, announced today they are donating $2.5 million to the campaign to defend Washington's same-sex marriage law.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3426-3450 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 9:07:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012, 9:08:06 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Yes - why would a person go to a gay parade when they already despise gay people. Simply to look for reasons to reinforce their hatred. You see what you want to see. I suppose she wouldn't have been offended at all if the whips & chains had been used by straight couples? Oh of course not - everyone knows that would be impossible because the gay community are the *only* people who would ever do that, right?

ETA: a single letter

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 9:02:59 PM PDT
Well, San Fran is a little more um open and accepting to all things different. :) And it's not like this on every street corner, overtaking the spirit of the event. But it is there, and it is what it is. Like I said - if someone is not interested in seeing it, there are a million ways around it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 9:00:46 PM PDT
Nope. Marriage is a CIVIL issue since two people can walk down to the court house and get married without any religious involvement whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 9:00:42 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Oh, it happens at the WeHo parade too, but I think not so much except later in the evening now, and the Halloween parade where anything goes. The pride festivals in WeHo and Long Beach are much more family-oriented and community-oriented than they used to be, because so many gay couples are adopting children - another thing for people to have a heart attack over ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 9:00:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012, 9:00:42 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
"A relationship can be between anyone, but marriage is a sacrament. "
Only if you are catholic/religious. As has been stated numerous times, the government is all that's need to declare a marriage. There are many men and women who marry w/o nary a religious influence and they are "married".

"why must it be called marriage? "
Because separate but equal is wrong and a proven failure.

"I've had very close friends that were gay"
This sounds like the cliche "but, I can't be racist, some of my best friends are black!"

"I realize that gay is a group of people and putting a label on them is impossible (Just as it is impossible to label any other group, such as 'women', or 'Asians', we all believe different things), but it is something that should be noted. "
Why should it be noted if you yourself realize that generalizing a diverse group is silly?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:59:58 PM PDT
"Giving someone else equal rights does not infringe or take away rights from you. It just makes it illegal to enforce your prejudice and hate."

I really want a bumper sticker that says that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:57:09 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Bingo!

Like begets like. People like this poster are why gay rights are so important. So the *law* will be able to crack down on their bigotry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:56:36 PM PDT
I agree - people usually respond in the same way the other person came across.

Really? In MD, they would never do that - it's too much of a family place for them to ever do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:54:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012, 8:56:32 PM PDT
I'll tell you something: I have seen the pride parade in San Francisco. You will see BDSM and people being over the top - these are exceptions and not the rule. No not all gay couples engage in this (same as all straight couples do not). I strongly believe the reasons for these things are: 1. They are drunk and its one big party (take a look at *any* large gathering of people that are drunk and partying). 2. Because they are being denied basic rights, you will see people react differently. One way is to do what fanatics on the other spectrum do - shove it in your face.

As to her comment that they are "least accepting most hateful people I know" - When you put out a personality front, don't you expect it to be mirrored back to some extent?? I do. When I meet someone I don't know and I smile, I usually get a smile back. I would expect if I looked at someone with hatred and disdain, that they would stare right back the same way.

ETA - I am curious as to why she was at the pride parade. And I don't want to hear "I couldn't avoid it". In San Francisco, you know there the parade is and how to get around it - if you want to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:54:03 PM PDT
Well, ya never know, she could be that unintelligent - she appears to be, from her posts, so it could be true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:51:12 PM PDT
+1000!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:49:40 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
She clearly knows what I was saying. Nobody on the planet is that...unintelligent. It was just another excuse to foam at the mouth.

She's playing dumb, with a little trolling thrown in for good measure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:49:34 PM PDT
Calm down - drama queen - they did not call your child an animal, they just said your pet project.

Now if you call your daughter your pet project, then it would be *you* that called your daughter an animal, not them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:47:04 PM PDT
Whoa! Whoa!
You really think that because someone used the phrase "pet project", they were calling your daughter an animal? Really? Really? Haven't you ever heard the phrase "pet project" before?

You are obviously not thinking clearly tonight. I suggest you stop posting. Pray for enlightenment. Read the Bible, the parts about love thy neighbor and the golden rule.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:46:25 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Reported for abuse. You might want to wipe the foam off your chin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:46:11 PM PDT
But Chick-fil-A is supporting something that is wrong, and Jeff Bezos is supporting something that is right. Of course, that's just my opinion (well, not JUST mine), but in this case my opinion is right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:45:39 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
So - your original post and all subsequent posts all boil down to you being a bigot, yet you deny it in your first post and drag your daughter into it for sympathy, because you lalalala don't want to hear people's opinion of your bigotry.

I don't think you need to say any more. You've said all we need to know about what makes you tick, and what your agenda is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:45:34 PM PDT
I thought you weren't gonna read anymore....

*You* are using your daughter being born differently to try to degrade a cause that you don't like. That my dear Victoria is repulsive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:44:13 PM PDT
a gay pride festival how does being dressed in S&M while whipping another horribly dressed person spread anything?
I call liar on this. Now if you had said that you were a BDSM Pride Festival, I might have believed you, but this is nothing, but a lie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:43:10 PM PDT
If you truly don't care, then why deny them something that they want, that has absolutely NOTHING (Screaming, Sorry Nospin) to do with you?! It doesn't hurt you, it doesn't change anything about you, it doesn't make your marriage (if you are) any less valid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:42:33 PM PDT
No, a civil rights is a a matter of law.

Since the state of being "married" conveys multiple legal rights and privileges, it's NOT just a sacrament. It is in fact a matter of civil rights by definition.

Go ahead and stop reading if you want, but please start THINKING!

Posted on Jul 28, 2012, 8:41:14 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:41:08 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:37:38 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 8:37:22 PM PDT
<<Giving someone else equal rights does not infringe or take away rights from you. It just makes it illegal to enforce your prejudice and hate. It's that simple. >>

Bravo *Stands clapping*
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska?????? 293 58 minutes ago
Being redirected to Kindle Unlimited when trying to borrow books through Owner's Lending Library 11 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2017 840 2 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 1385 2 hours ago
May, 2017 What are YOU reading? 90 2 hours ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 8506 3 hours ago
Can't remove deleted books 79 3 hours ago
Kindle free time content 3 4 hours ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9613 5 hours ago
Kindle Fire HD and GPS 63 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  244
Total posts:  3910
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers