Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Lending personal purchased e-books books to friends not allowed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 189 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 7:56:15 PM PST
I want to lend purchased KIndle ebooks. I can purchase a hardcover/paperback book and physically hand off the book and lend it to one or more friends. I do not understand why this is not an option to lend with an electronic version of a book I purchased and downloaded on the kindle. This is too much of big brother looking over my shoulder and limiting what I can do with a product I purchased.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:58:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:59:24 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
It is quite simple with electronic books they never wear out, get lost, get damaged, etc. With a press of a button you can send the file anywhere across the country, with a paper book you cannot.

The publisers do not like the idea of lending so they set the rules.

You can still loan the ebook the same way you did with the paper book, give your friend your Kindle and they can read it. Many have purchased the cheap Baby Kindle for this.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:00:21 PM PST
Actually, what you purchased was a license to read the book on your kindle. That's all. I'm not saying I like this, but that's the way it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:01:28 PM PST
Erich says:
"I want to lend purchased KIndle ebooks."

Nothing stops you from lending a kindle edition in a manner similar to sharing a physical book. Simply hand the person your kindle. Problem solved.

(And "big brother", really? really? When did Amazon become a government agency? Come on...)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:03:05 PM PST
Because you can only lend a physical book to one person at a time. If there were no limits on ebook rentals you could theoretically lend it hundreds or thousands of times, simultaneously. E-book sales would plummet and authors would be begging for food on the streets.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:05:39 PM PST
You can lend your book to anyone you choose by allowing the person to register their kindle to your account. My entire family and I share an account - 6 of us can read the same book simultaneously. No print book can offer that particular benefit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:06:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:08:33 PM PST
Erich says:
Not to mention is geographic restrictions on lending a paper book that don't exist with a kindle edition. For practical reasons, you can really only lend a paper books to someone who is right there in front of you (you could ship, but that has a cost). This severely limits your lending circle. Kindle editions could (theoretically) be lent to anyone around the globe instantaneously.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:07:47 PM PST
Erich says:
My family does this. We have a joint account where 5 of us, two in Cali, two in Boston, and one in Sydney Australia share an account. One purchase allows all of us to read that copy instantaneously. Try that with a paper book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:09:23 PM PST
Artist says:
Not to mention that you don't have to deal with the mystery stains that show up when you lend the book to certain people!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:10:33 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:10:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:10:58 PM PST
Erich says:
Yikes!

I don't know if I'm horrified or intrigued.

Oh who am I kidding? I'm intrigued.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:12:50 PM PST
Artist says:
I would just give books to people and ask them not to give it back. Too many Cheetos or Nacho Cheese Dorito fingerprints and soda stains (at least, that's what they claimed it was).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:12:58 PM PST
Unless they are the result of a delicious IPA. In which case, they are awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:15:32 PM PST
Erich says:
It's the "mayonnaise" stains you have to watch out for.

Yeah, I went there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:16:11 PM PST
I'm more of a dark ale sort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:16:12 PM PST
Artist says:
You always go there, Erich. That's why we love you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:16:35 PM PST
ewwwww

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:18:18 PM PST
Erich says:
Aw shucks. <blushes>

On the beer topic, I have a homebrewed dark Belgian ale conditioning in the basement... will be opened when the baby is evicted from Mrs. Yeastmaster's uterus. Yummy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:23:17 PM PST
We do the same. ;)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:59:20 PM PST
AC Sue says:
For those of you that have accounts where the people on the account are in different countries -- how does Amazon handle geo restrictions?

Does everything depend on the address and credit card on the account, and once a book is bought, can the account members in other countries download the books with no restrictions, even if the book would not be available to them otherwise?

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:58:25 AM PST
PJ says:
Someone wrote on one of these threads an explanation for this and I hope I can explain it the way they did...

When you buy a book you are buying the right to read it...The container of the book may be paperback, hardcover or Kindle or some other electronic form. Its up to you to choose the container in which you want your book to come in. You are free to loan the container to anyone as often as you want. Unfortunately if its on an electronic device that may mean giving someone your Kindle/Device to access the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:10:22 AM PST
"I want to lend purchased KIndle ebooks." = Not relevant.

"I can purchase a hardcover/paperback book..." = Best plan for you.

"I do not understand..." = Agency model.

"This is too much of big brother..." = Kindle is not for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:11:09 AM PST
Or worrying about where, exactly, those stains came from. >.<

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:45:22 AM PST
Erich says:
For us, the master account is held in the US by me with my credit card. My father-in-law (in Australia) has the password to that account and can buy and download books at his leisure. He buys books at the US prices and availability from Australia all the time.

He tracks his purchases and we periodically square up the expenses in some manner. No big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:48:51 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"This is too much of big brother looking over my shoulder and limiting what I can do with a product I purchased."

You mean like any prescription drugs that you bought but didn't use?...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 829 4 minutes ago
Silk browser or Fire malware lockups 0 27 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4557 39 minutes ago
Enable Javascript on Kindle Fire 147 42 minutes ago
can my friennd read my e mail on thekinde fire I lent her? 3 43 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1598 57 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 8197 1 hour ago
Can I have two phones/apps connected to the same Echo? 7 2 hours ago
Removing books from Kindle paperwhite ... new updated home page 16 2 hours ago
Kindle Fire & Scrabble 115 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  189
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions